Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Package pricing

Em & I have just started some online research in anticipation of another trip to Cuba this winter. After some initial searching at our usual online sources, tripcentral, flightcenter, selloffvacations, ect. it seems to us that the posted prices seem significantly higher than last year?

I was wondering if anyone else is getting the same impression and if so could this be due to the drop in the loonie against the US $.

It is starting to look like we may have to forgo a return visit to Jibacoa unless we get a great last minute deal, especially given the uncertainty amid the recession and all.

Jenn

Should book in Oct the price when it was cheap, it was just before the Loone real drop
Our trip is $100 more now
The trip to El Salvador was at $497 and now it is at $777
The market for trips is all over the place have to jump in when you think it is a good price

Jenn,

I wish you’d started looking a wee bit earlier. There have been some amazingly low prices for Breezes Jibacoa this fall and a few great deals for Christmas. The resort has been packed to capacity for November and December vacations.

I know that the Maritimes market is similiar to the West Coast insofar as pricing. I’ll cross my fingers that you can find a deal as good as ours was for Breezes Jibacoa a couple of weeks ago.

We booked with escapes.ca

I’ll bet prices start to drop after the new year, that’s what I’m counting on.
I really think this is the LAST MINUTE YEAR

Jenn - we booked our trip to Melia Cayo Santa Maria from Halifax in May of this year for April '09. The price never, ever went lower and in fact, increased by over $400.00 and now it’s sold out. If you find something at a price you can live with, book it because it seems the flights out of the Maritimes are filling up fast!!! My 2¢

We went at the end of January last year and I watched prices from the time I booked in September until the day we left. The prices never dropped down to what I originally paid and the Sunwing flight actually sold out for every Saturday in January and most of February.

I think if you find a price you can live with you should book it. With the economy the way it is and consumer confidence pretty low, airlines will likely cancel flights before taking the chance on flying them half-full.

Jenn, is it the Cameleon you are looking at? For what dates? Last year the prices really dropped in January for March departures and then again in March for April departures.

We booked in August for BJ to go at the end of Oct and the price never dropped. We booked in Sept for CVJ to leave Jan 21st–again the price we booked at are still the cheapest we have seen it.The prices for it are still really good if you are looking for Jan. to the CVJ.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess i learned a lesson that keeping an eye on the package pricing in the fall seems to be the way to go. However this fall I was a ‘tad’ preoccupied with a back injury which could have prevented any winter vacation at all. Thankfully I am now on the mend and in a Cuban state of mind…:wink:

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the current economic woes result in some deals after X-mas and that the Loonie keeps recovering against the US greenback.

Thanks again ppl for the feedback.

Jenn

We book one or two trips to Cuba each year and this is the first year we have ever booked ahead. Darn lucky too, the price has risen steadily since. I think this is the rare year where last minute deals will be few and far between.

We book in August for our yearly trip to Breezes Jibacoa for the time period of late January or, in the case of the next one, early February. After booking, I periodically check the prices and they have gone up for the package we have, which has been the case for all our previous trips. During our past 3 visits the resort has been booked solid pretty much from Christmas through Spring Break. My thought is anyone who has their heart set on visiting a popular resort during high season shouldn’t delay booking. If you wait too long, not only might the resort be booked up but the flights, also.

I always watch prices but then call a travel agent who tells me how many seats are left on the charter flight the week i am watching. When the number of seats available hits 10, thats when i book, lol.

Prices dropped on Christmas day with Sunwing anyway. We booked for Feb.

As I mentioned, above, we booked on Aug. 1st and I would periodically check the prices for the package we got for Breezes Jibacoa to see if it was going up or down. Up til now…no change. Imagine the shock I got when I decided to have a look this morning. The price has shot up $900 for our total package. :oBy booking early, not only did we get an early booking discount but the taxes were lower by $90 pp. Based on today’s price, we got our upgrade to the Tropical Oceanview Suite + CC seats for $20 more pp. I’m glad we booked early :smiley:

[quote=@steffiej]As I mentioned, above, we booked on Aug. 1st and I would periodically check the prices for the package we got for Breezes Jibacoa to see if it was going up or down. Up til now…no change. Imagine the shock I got when I decided to have a look this morning. The price has shot up $900 for our total package. I’m glad we booked early :smiley:
[/quote]

I just checked ours as well steffiej and ours is up by $350.00 per person and not six seats left so I too am glad we booked early. We do wait until the last minute when we have flexibility but this trip had strict perameters and we would have been out of luck if we had waited. $350.00 x 6 is quite a difference!