Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Paintings for sale in local Caribbean markets

I have been to the Dominican Republic many times, but never have I been to other locations in the Caribbean. In the DR, I have found many shops that sell painted canvases having a local origin with Taino themes. Are there any other Caribbean locations you can recommend where painted canvases produced by locals are also available? In short, I plan on making a trip to the Caribbean this spring and I am undecided about the specific destination. Ideally, I would visit somewhere new and be able to buy a painting in some locals market.

Thank you for considering my inquiry. I look forward to hearing from you.
Phil

In Cuba (Varadero and Havana etc.) you can find many great local paintings.
I have a few different paintings from there. The artists painters can paint whatever you like.

There was some fabulous art in Habana Vieja’s Almacenes San José Artisans’ Market. I reckon 50 plus art stalls are there, and wish we had walls free as Cuban art has real flair.
Another place in Vieja for a different art experience is Taller Experimental de Gráfica, just off Museo de Arte Colonial at Plaza de la Catedral.
Departing from Cuba we met a guy who works with an interior decorator: He holidays in Cuba at her expense because he buys paintings to her brief significantly more cheaply than original works in the USA.