Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Parental consent form

I`m taking my 16 year old to Varadero in April and need to get his father to sign the consent form.My question is that we booked for Club Amigo, Varadero but now the resort has changed names…I have no idea what the name on our ticket will be, so what name do I put on the form?
Also wondering if evryone gets these forums witnessed by a lawyer or a notary? My sister said that she just got her husband to sign it and a friend witnessed it…

I can only answer your first question, I believe the new name is Aguas Azules (it means Blue Waters). Your travel agent will be able to confirm it.


To add to what Gambitt wrote, the letter is required to get your son INTO Canada, as ridicullous as it sounds!!!

Now go figure why so many parents take their kids OUTSIDE of Canada to NEVER see them again…if you’ve noticed, after you check in at the counter, you are free to proceed to the boarding gate without anyone asking any questions…

Why would you need a consent to bring your child BACK into Canada? beats me!

I always have mine approved by a commissioner/notary or lawyer and it is a requiremement up to the age of 18.
Happy holidays! :slight_smile:

Hi Rosibol,
Requiring a consent form isn’t ridiculous. As sad as it may be, some children are taken away on vacation by one parent and are never returned. Airline agents have the right to request to see the signed consent form. In reality, few probably ask for it, but if it is requested and you don’t have it … it could be a difficult situation.
In Canada, more children are ‘abducted’ (meaning illegally taken) by a parent than a stranger. Go figure.


What I meant is that those airline agents at check out need to be more vigilant when kids are involved and asking to see the consent on the way INTO the country is ridiculous, as if you don’t have it they won’t let you in into your own country!

Gambitt is correct, a pastor, school principal, or doctor can witness the spouse’s signature giving permission. The witness should be sure to indicate their professional position and provide a phone number in case customs wants to check.

Having said this, I had a document prepared by a lawyer once when I was taking my son to Cuba without my husband, was never asked for it, and never bothered again.

But, yes, sadly, children are illegally taken out of the country by parents every year and the other parent may never see them again. Customs SHOULD be checking that every child leaving the country is legally able to do so.

The bottom line about the notarization is that while it is not absolutely required, it may make the difference between getting a hard time and not at the border. It is really up to you to decide what you think the odds of that are.

It’s easy for us to get a letter notarized every time, so we do.

We have NEVER had anyone take the slightest interest in our letters on the outbound trip and I agree that that’s ridiculous. My SO was closely questioned one time when leaving Cuba with his daughter, who was about 8 at the time and looks like she could be Cuban / quite unlike him. Another time, when travelling with both girls (around age 11) by car, the Canadian border guard on the return trip was very particular about our letters and had several questions, which struck me as bizarre since we were bringing the kids back into Canada by that point!

I’ve taken my kids on vacation to Cuba and all I did was type up a letter saying their father consents and is aware of me taking them such-and-such dates and location and put all his contact information (phone #s) if they need further information/verification…and then got him to sign it. The only time I had anything ‘notorized’ by a lawyer was when someone else was taking my kids to the USA and neither of us (parents)were with them.

any time I’ve taken them away though (cuba, mexico and florida)…they have never asked to even see the letter, which surprises me because their last name is different than mine… knock on wood, we’ve never had any problems though.

I have taken letters as well however never have been asked for them all the times we traveled. I have always gotten it notarized but think this year will only have the father sign it with a witness this year. Boys are now almost 17 and almost 15…

A 16 year old can apply for a passport without parental consent, are you sure you even need a consent form for a child that old? The first time I went on vacation outside of Canada I applied for passports for myself and my children who were 16 and almost 13. My oldest son was 15 when I applied and was going to be 16 when we traveled, I was told he had to apply for his own passport and no where on the application was a parental signature required. I was adding my then 12 year old son on my passport and his father’s signature was required along with a certified copy of my original custody agreement. There was never an issue with the 16 year old. I took a signed letter from my ex-husband stating the dates and destination and that he was aware the boys were with me, I didn’t have it certified.

Thanks for your help everyone! I talked to an officer at Canada Border Services and she said that I should have a letter signed by the father but that I would not need it notorized. Apparently that is used more for younger children who wouldn`t be able to speak up for themselves.