Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Paying the Departure Tax in P. Plata

From my experience, for those of you leaving Luperon airport in Puerto Plata, the payment booth is loacated at departure gate A10. No one informed us and there are no signs saying “departure tax payment” until you walk right up to it. We kept asking personnel at the airport where we had to pay and finally we thought we would be paying just before entering the airplane (as we’ve done in other airports). When we got to the front of the boarding line they told us to go to the other gate to pay the $20 US each. Luckily it’s not the same size as Toronto’s airport!

Can you tell me if they will make change for a US $50? I didnt think to get some twenties…

Make sure you get a receipt when you pay the $20. Without the receipt you can’t get on the plane and you will have to pay another $20 to get the receipt. I’ve seen some very unhappy people turned away at the gate.

Earl - I’m not sure about the change part. I’ve heard that it’s exact change only. Perhaps it has changed.

We just returned and it was exact change $20 each. I just keep the money in my passport. It is still by A10 and they stamp the back of your boarding pass that you paid. We were leaving by that gate, however a plane load from Halifax were getting ready to board and found out they had to come across the terminal to pay. Only ONE place to pay.

Mydogearl…I never noticed if they offer to make change or not. My advice, if you haven’t broken that $50 before departing for the airport, is to do some duty-free shopping after you pass through security. They give you change for your purchases in US$ there and the price of alcohol is very good. Probably the best idea is go to a bank before you leave home and switch it for some smaller bills. I would definitely not expect them to make change at the departure tax booth. (Just a gut feeling…and why risk the hassle?)

thanks for the advice…

In my three years of travelling to the DR, I have never seen the departure tax dude give change. Make sure that you have exact change before you get in line. It may be up to the discretion of the guy collecting the cash, but don’t be surprised if you aren’t given change. All of the documentation we receive from our travel agent says “exact change required”. Funds MUST be in US dollars only. You can’t haggle about this.

We just got back last night & they will announce where & when to pay, they want exact change in US & they will stamp the back of your boarding pass.

[quote author=atomiczombie board=Poparea thread=1169152311 post=1169214540]In my three years of travelling to the DR, I have never seen the departure tax dude give change. Make sure that you have exact change before you get in line. It may be up to the discretion of the guy collecting the cash, but don’t be surprised if you aren’t given change. All of the documentation we receive from our travel agent says “exact change required”. Funds MUST be in US dollars only. You can’t haggle about this.[/quote]I have never seen anybody get change but I have never seen anybody ask and be refused so I don’t know if it is available.

I have read some people claim to have paid in pesos.
The guy probably has some extra $20 US in case some gringo wants to make it worth his while with 1000 pesos or so. :wink:

weve always been told by our reps which desk you pay your departure tax,and its announced several times over the tannoy in the departure lounge.

the stamp on the back of your boarding pass is your reciept.

glenn

Last night they were announcing over the PA system that the departure tax was to be paid at gate A10…We were also told by our Sunquest ticket rep when we got our boarding passes.

Many of us didn’t hear any announcements of where to pay the departure tax. I thought I’d let people know to avoid any confusion. We were in the departure lounge for an extended period of time (coutresy of Sunwing) and only heard boarding announcements. Maybe it’s just an airport thing…I find the signage and announcements are very poor in almost every airport I go to. You’d think that directing travellers who are not accustomed to the locations and processes of an airport would be the first priority of airport staff!?

If you really can’t break the $50 try to go to the desk with a couple of others and get all the money together, use your $50 and keep $30 of theirs.

This can work both ways, when I got to the DR last time there were some Brits who had only got travels checks and £ sterling, I fortunately had enough $ pesos to be able to “sell” them enough to buy their entry visa. (Coming from the UK we don’t have our entry visa included in our package, they can be pre-purchased from the DR embassy in the UK but not much to gain by doing this IMHO)

Cheers Amandalou :-*

There is a small booth at gate A10.
The guy takes your $20 and stamps your boarding pass to show you have paid.
It’s a small airport and it doesn’t take long to get there and back to your gate. Ours was A6 this time.

I am completely and totally comfused. I have been to the DR twice and have never paid a departure tax at the airport. It has always been worked into the price of my package. Has anyone had the same experience?

No, sorry. The tourist card you need to enter the country is usually included with your tour ($10.00) however we have always paid departure tax when leaving. I’ve never heard of it being included.

I think it is worked into our overall cost this year with first choice- will have to check.

Just to keep everyone guessing, they seem to handle it differently depending on what country the flight originates in.
Canadian tour packages/flights generally include the $10 tourist card and you pay the $20 departure tax locally when leaving.
US tour packages/flights generally include the $20 departure tax and you pay the $10 tourist card locally on arrival.
AFAIK, most flights from the UK, you pay both locally.

I understand that we’ve all had different experiences but I assure you that I have never paid the departure tax both times when I left the Dominican Republic. THe first time I traveled through Go Travel Direct and the second time was with sunwing but my package was purchsed at Flight Centre. They have always inclusded the departure tax and I’ve never had to do anytihg other than get on the plane.