Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Phoning Home to Canada from Cuba?

I never called home from Cuba, we always emailed or used tex messaging from our cell phones.
But my friend is going to Varadero in Feb and he wants to call home to his two small children.
What’s the best way to call Canada from Cuba?
Calling cards?
Straight fom the hotel?
??? ::slight_smile: ???

We just returned from Santa Maria and we went down to the lobby and direct dialed from there.
It is expensive though, about $21 for 7 minutes.
We were not able to dial directly from our room.
Hope this helps.

there s no cheap way to call from Cuba, no calling cards like the DR…Email is cheap :slight_smile:

There are calling cards you can buy…about 2 CUC/minute was the rate for Canada when I last used one of these. A better plan is to get the Canadian party to call you on a schedule. Slightly better rates (but still expensive!) from Canada to Cuba…

We were at the Breezes Varadero 2 weeks ago and they were taking a $25 deposit and dialing the number for you and redirecting the call to a lobby phone. Never made a call, so not sure how expensive it is, but seen a few people doing this.

This is an excellent topic… I called from Playa Caleta, Varadero last year… and it ended up costing us 17cucs, a pricey call. Can one text from Cuba to Canada? What are the charges? My son will be bringing his iPhone, will he be able to text using it? So many questions… so much rum to drink…

Fabe

we always call from our room more private we go for 2 week and call 4 times it is usually around 20 CUC not much in the big picture

[quote=@fabulousfabe]This is an excellent topic… I called from Playa Caleta, Varadero last year… and it ended up costing us 17cucs, a pricey call. Can one text from Cuba to Canada? What are the charges? My son will be bringing his iPhone, will he be able to text using it? So many questions… so much rum to drink…

Fabe[/quote]

If your son is with Rogers, should be no problem using the iphone, from what I gather. Text messages are $0.65 each and a call home to Canada was $4.00/min. This is with Rogers. I’ve always just used my cell phone for the few calls made to Canada. It’s easier and no hassle trying to find money at the end of the trip when you check out to pay your hotel room phone bill.

Thanks Pantomime73… thats exactly what I wanted to hear!

Cheers! Fabe

2 weeks ago in guardalavaca we got 5 minutes for 10 pesos, very expensive. :o

in the big picture is 10 cuc for 5 min expensive i paid 3600.00 for my trip so i would say that’s peanuts when you look at, thats just my opinion

Something tells me this is a dumb question, but is it possible to make a toll-free call or collect-call from a pay phone in a hotel lobby?

I was reading over the info on my travel insurance and I know most insurance companies require you to contact them prior to seeking medical assistance (for authorization I guess). I hope that I never have to do this when I am away from home, but I assume if I called from my hotel room, I would be dinged with a bill on checkout. However, if I called from a pay phone using a toll-free number or made a collect call (ie. reverse charge call) would I avoid all charges except for the cost of the coin to use the phone?

Common sense tells me in a real emergency I wouldn’t be too concerned and would seek advice regardless, but I was just wondering the best way to handle this if sometime minor came up and I was considering a visit to the resort physician.

I know toll-free numbers usually don’t work, but I believe you can call collect.

That being said, for something minor, you usually don’t have to call for permission first, your insurance company should reimburse you for small charges. For example, I came down with a sinus infection while in Cuba 2 years ago, and the charges for both the doctor’s visit (25 CUC) and the antibiotics (can’t remember how much) were reimbursed. I believe in some cases you have to submit to the provincial health authorities first, and whatever is not reimbursed by the public system should be covered under your travel medical insurance.

Thanks Anne. I know that a trip to the resort physician isn’t usually that expensive, so even if I have to pay 25% of the cost of the bill because I didn’t get authorization first (which is what I just read in the insurance policy), that cost would be less than the cost and hassle of trying to make a long distance phone call.