Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Picking a resort in Cuba criteria

With the winter booking season around the corner and a number of queries about resort suggestions, I thought polling you on what you look for in a resort and which resorts you have visited, that have fit the bill for you, would make sense about now. Don’t forget, photos are most welcome and are worth a thousand words :wink: :slight_smile:
Also, resorts you would not return to and why would be helpful.

I just noticed that the poll question cuts off part way through.

Should read:

It would be great if you would elaborate on your choices and then note your favourite resort(s) (please, full name, no initials) and how they meet your criteria. It won’t be long before people start looking at booking for a winter vacation and looking for resort ideas.

Price is important to me, as is single supplement…which can be a deal breaker. I also prefer small, not too busy. I require a great beach, either wonderfully long for walking, or with excellent snorkelling. Obviously I’ll take both if I can get them! Sailing is also high on my list of “must haves” :smiley:

Another consideration is location as it relates to climate. I have learned that north, particularly the Atlantic side, can be hit and miss in the dead of winter. Great weather is almost guaranteed in the Santiago area, although the resorts aren’t as nice as most further north.

Amenities I can take or leave. So far I haven’t found a resort that is so poor I wouldn’t go back, but I do have a price point for the ones with less than stellar cuisine. :wink: I don’t need a luxurious room, but I do want one that is clean, hopefully with working A/C in hot weather and a decent shower. I’m pretty easy to please…

How about a resort that supports “humane” population control of strays?

Example …All things being near equal…
If one resort supports humane population control and the other just calls in the dog catcher would it make a difference to you.

Is Great Staff part of Ambience? Hope so!

Our criteria and reasons behind them makes us fussy and, I’m not ashamed to admit, we pamper ourselves ;D. Due to hubby’s job, the easiest time for him to take vacation is January or February when work slows a bit. We go for two weeks, at the beginning of February, and book early (already done) to make sure we get what we want (suite at resort and Executive Class seats). Adults only was top of our list followed by resort ambiance (small and easy to get around and lovely grounds and the location of the ocean view buildings just can’t be beat :slight_smile: ), snorkeling/diving (reef right out front), easy access for personal touring (for us going to Havana for day trips or overnighters), great walking options either beach side or on the farm road. We like the patio dining option offered at the buffet restaurant and always try to get seated in that area and really enjoy Pelicano, affectionately referred to as the piano bar. End result, Breezes Jibacoa met our criteria 100% and that’s why we go back every year.

My favourite view for morning coffees and afternoon glass of wine:

Snorkeling:

Grounds:

Yes :slight_smile:

For those who have voted, please go back and read my modified first post as I notice that the poll question got cut off and I added the full statement to my post. We are looking for resort suggestions here based on your criteria. :slight_smile:
Thanks.

Nice to see this poll, steffie. Thanks.

We love a small resort (adults only) which should be at least a 4-star. The two-floor bungalow style buildings with a room on the second floor is preferable. As we are beach people, that is certainly a draw for us. Decent food and drink are another factor we enjoy and a piano bar is certainly a ‘plus’. Dining outside is pleasurable if the mossies aren’t bad. :wink: A friendly staff is high on our list, as well. I agree, steffie, that BJ sure meets our ‘requirements’ nicely. Gee, this seems to be a long list. And I’ve probably forgotten some features. ;D

size is important to us. Like nothing taller than 2 stories, as this means the resort is either spread-out and/or small.
And while I never saw us returning to the same resort…now that we have been frequent fliers to a couple it is rather nice to return to an old friend

We have yet to find our ‘perfect’ resort. The last 2 trips were to Cayo Santa Maria - one at Barcelo Beach/Colonial (which is now Husa) - the other to Melia (MCSM).

They hit all our criteria except that there was nowhere to sit, enjoy a drink and see the ocean unless you sat directly on the sand. It seems that many of the newer resorts have that problem. We enjoy the beach for a few hours but much prefer to just enjoy the calming and colourful view with a cool drink or a great coffee in a comfortable chair. I may sound old but that is what we preferred even 30 years ago. We’ve been to other Cayos that still have the setback from the ocean but have nice beach bars/restaurants with a view.

On another sour note, there is nothing I hate more than sitting in the piano bar/lounge enjoying nice music and then have it interrupted by obnoxiously loud disco music playing while a handful of anorexic people try to flog junk clothing in what they refer to as a ‘fashion show’.

I’d love to see the same survey on what members hate most about resorts they’ve been to. ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

A place to recharge our soul, a beautiful view of the ocean, great staff, compact property and safety top our list and we get all of that and more at the Gran Caribe Playa Blanca on Cayo Largo. Add the good food and long walks on deserted beaches :wink: and, of course, we will be back again.

[quote=@dax]
I’d love to see the same survey on what members hate most about resorts they’ve been to. ::slight_smile: ::)[/[/quote]

Why don’t you start one, dax? :slight_smile:

In the “other” section would that include area of Cuba?

I would not consider going anywhere except the south coast in January or February. I would not go to that area in June, July or August. Then the preferred locations would be Holguin, Cayo Largo or Trinidad.

[quote=@dax] We enjoy the beach for a few hours but much prefer to just enjoy the calming and colourful view with a cool drink or a great coffee in a comfortable chair. I may sound old but that is what we preferred even 30 years ago. We’ve been to other Cayos that still have the setback from the ocean but have nice beach bars/restaurants with a view.

::)[/quote]

What resorts have a bar or lounge that you can sit at and enjoy the water without sitting in the sand. This sounds like something I would like. The resorts I’ve been to all seem to have a " natural"
space between the buildings and the ocean, so the only way to enjoy the ocean is to sit on the beach

iggy, one resort for sure has a bar right on the beach; Breezes Jibacoa’s Ranchon. It’s a combo restaurant/bar. Here’s a photo from our 2011 visit…Cuban theme day and you can see you are right on the beach. Since this photo they have replaced the type of seating seen in the photo. This is a very popular spot and a great place to sit and enjoy the beach scene. From the other side of the Ranchon, you can look down the beach in the other direction and take in the volley ball action on the beach.

Thanks, good resort?, I’ve never been to Jibacoa

Hey, would we go back every year for two weeks if it was crap? ;D ;D.

Cayo Largo has ranchons with a great view of the beach. Here is Lindamar’s ranchon. I was concentrating on the beer, and the beach is washed out in the photo, but you can see it is close. All the Cayo Largo resorts have restaurants with great beach views.

For that matter, Don Lino in Holguin has a wonderful beach view from the snack bar. (yeah, beer is featured prominently in this one too! :wink: )

On the subject of views, I have always loved the lobby at Cameleon Villas Jibacoa.

Sitting outside the lobby bar isn’t too shabby either! (notice a recurring theme here?)

That might inspire a flame or two. :o :o
Maybe tomorrow when I am a bit more sober. :-X

Thanks for the BJ photos. I think that will be our next goal. Wanted to get to Cayo Largo last year but put off by some bad reviews and beach renovations by the Big Guy. MCSM fit the bill for our group last year but I think this fall, we’ll be just the 2 of us.
I’d be thrilled with that view (minus the people) but with decent food and running water in the bathroom.

doesn’t look like I can get to Jibacoa from Ottawa, then I try Montreal, can’t find it, then Toronto just to check because I have no intention of flying out of Toronto, still can’t find it
gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr