Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Planning a February 2020 trip to Varadero

Wow, it’s been a LONG time since I’ve posted to this forum. I’m sorry to see activity has dialed way down in recent years… maybe forums are passé now? Or maybe I’m just remembering 10 years ago wrong?

Anyway, I haven’t been to Cuba in… well, 10 years. Becoming a parent, changing jobs, etc. - we let life get in the way and our travel priority slipped. Now the missus and I are hoping to restart our yearly trips and introduce the new generation to Cuba. The plan is for February 2020 and the destination will be Varadero. I’m looking for resort recommendations in town or somewhere along the Avenida las Americas (meaning, preferably nowhere that requires travel along the autopista, we’re hoping to stay within walking/biking/scooter distance to town). We’ve stayed at Barceló Solymar and Bella Costa and both were great experiences, but we’d like to try somewhere different. The resort would have to be kid-friendly and accommodating for seniors (there will be a senior in our group). I 'm also looking for advice on places to stop/visit in Varadero (history, music, food, whatever). It’s been a while and I’m far out of the loop.

Thanks, team!

Welcome back, Boldstar.
Unfortunately, I don’t know much about the hotels in the area that you want to be. I was hoping that someone might be able to help you, so my reply is mostly to try to keep your post near the top.
One thing I can mention, is that on one trip into town (we were staying out at the Melia Las Antillas at the time), we stopped for a meal at a small open air restaurant that was right across the street from the Sunbeach hotel.
I forget the name of it, but I will see if I can find out the name, if you are interested.

Actually, it wasn’t that hard to find, after all. Apparently, it’s called El Ranchón. Let’s see if this map link works:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@23.1390383,-81.2801239,260m/data=!3m1!1e3

Hello, cubajack! Thanks for replying. I’ll definitely add El Ranchón to my list. What was the food like? The only two places I recall sitting down any length of time at were La Vicaria (https://goo.gl/maps/qYqw6p1JvXXdzZ6J9) and Mesón del Quijote (the Google Map is wrong, it’s actually on the Avenida right beside that old water tower). We also stopped at Casa de Al - it was closed at the time but a security guard gave us the tour.

What was it like staying at the Melia? We’re not completely opposed to staying somewhere further out on the peninsula. I’ve heard the hotels are better there - mom (the senior) might appreciate that. It was just nice to being really close to town. We found ourselves there pretty near every day, even just to wander or scooter in for a cerveza, but I suppose this trip might be a little different anyway.