Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Playa Pilar Construction

Just wondering if anyone has any information on construction of resort on or close to Playa Pilar. A friend was there last week and said it is underway.

What a shame, but I heard the same thing

Really? It was very nice natural beach without hotel and most of us loved to go there just because it is secluded and away from everything.

I think that’s close to where the new causeway to CSM will be. There are going to be a lot of rooms on that extended (CSM-CG-CC) strip, all serviced by Cayo Coco airport. Playa Pilar won’t be the far end, it’ll be in the middle of the resorts.

there is a causeway from CG to CSM
Wow, didn’t know that, have they started building it yet?

My friends said the taxi driver told her that they were not sure if the place would be AI or pay as you go! She said the construction is to the right side of the entrance to Pilar. Causeway to CSM…took 10 years to build the one they have now!

So there is a causeway up and running from Cayo Guillermo to Cayo Santa Maria? Cars are already driving on it?
If yes, I wonder how soon it will be before you land at the Cayo Coco airport to go to CSM.

Not yet and I’m hoping 10years too.

Why are you hoping that, looking at Google Earth it looks like it would be a much quicker ride than the one from Santa Clara.
You know it’s funny, I hear people all the time complaining about the drive from Santa Clara to the Cayos, but I 've always enjoyed the scenery and the small towns you travel through, the worst part was the causeway but it’s really not a long drive on the causeway

Cuba admitted a few years ago, to the huge environmental damage done in building the CSM causeway.

[quote=@iggy1][quote=@spunky]Not yet and I’m hoping 10years too.[/quote]Why are you hoping that, looking at Google Earth it looks like it would be a much quicker ride than the one from Santa Clara.
You know it’s funny, I hear people all the time complaining about the drive from Santa Clara to the Cayos, but I 've always enjoyed the scenery and the small towns you travel through, the worst part was the causeway but it’s really not a long drive on the causeway[/quote]

Without a doubt it would be a much faster route to CSM. I too haven’t minded the ride from Santa Clara to CSM.

They’ll have to expand and improve the Cayo Coco airport while they’re building a new causeway.

The issue is location because Playa Pilar is a real piece of paradise and one I’d hate to see destroyed. OTOH, like Joni Mitchell sang "They don’t know what they’ve got til it’s gone. They paved paradise and put up a parking lot…

Indeed there was huge environmental damage and remedial work undertaken over the years wasn’t successful.

I can only hope they’ve learned a LOT from their first mistake!