Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Playa Resort Recommendations

My wife and I are looking to head to the Playa del Carmen area in April for a two week holiday. I would like to know what resorts are good ones to go to. We’re not looking at staying at one of the huge resorts, but rather one with no more than say 400 or so rooms. We had looked at the Grand Riviera Princess, but after reading the reviews about the smell(sewage??) and the brown water at the beach that one has been eliminated. So if any of you have been to a resort that might suit our needs, your input would be much appreciated.
We would like to be fairly close to Playa, and of course, on a good beach, have a variety of restaurants at the resort, and not priced into the stratosphere. Any and all information much appreciated.
Thanks to all for your help.

We stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal Playacar. Loved the resort and would definitely go back it in the near future. Very close to PDC, excellent beach and great buffet restaurants.

Same here but for the Iberostar Tucan, on the other side of the Quetzal. They are really the same hotel with “jungle” landscaping between them. Great location in a gated community near PDC.

Viva Wyndham Azteca, in Playacar, about 15min walk to PdelCarmen. Small resort, glorious beach, tons of chairs and palm trees for shade. I have nothing negative to say! From food to service to cleanliness… everything was perfect! There are 2 bonuses: you are a short walk from a small shopping center surrounded by local vendors AND you can reserve the Italian restaurant at the other Viva Wyndham hotel 2 doors down (excellent restaurant). See my reviews on Tripadv (Poutette) and here in Debbie’s reviews. Would go back there in a heartbeat, loved it!:heart:

I have to second the Viva Wyndham Azteca, we enjoyed very much. It has been years, hopefully still run ship shape by Italians. I did do a review but it is on TA.