Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Plus Taxes

I’m sure this has been asked before but why is it that some flights have taxes of $285.00, some have taxes of $185.00 and some even less yet are flying out of the same city and into the same city. Is this “plus taxes” just a gimmick, or is it really taxes?

Here’s a web site that gives some insite into how taxes are levied:

Supplier Duration Description Promotion

7 Days Room 

All Inclusive

Bonus: Champagne Flights Hotel details

was
$779
$559

• taxes $285

Air Canada Vacations 7 Days Room 

All Inclusive

Hotel details

was
$911
$708

• taxes $190

7 Days Oceanview Room 

All Inclusive

Bonus: Champagne Flights Hotel details

was
$1023
$804

• taxes $285

Air Canada Vacations 7 Days Seaview Room 

All Inclusive

Hotel details

was
$991
$836

• taxes $190

Same airports, same date, same city, one charges 190.00 the other 285.00

I returned from Rome via Frankfurt a month ago on Air Canada using Amex airmiles that I transferred to Continental which became United which allowed me to book AC. Total taxes $45.00 each. That is the fee for airport taxes for Rome & Frankfurt. That is fair.

My cost for YYZ to Rome was $45. plus $250. taxes with Transat.

When you use Airmiles, the cost is sometimes over half the normal fee because they exclude taxes (yup, the 50% taxes) plus a handling fee.

All the airlines are now playing the game of lowering their regular fee, then padding it with a BS charge they call taxes. The solution is to ONLY look at the total price which is the only one shown on Tripcentral.ca or as an option on many other sites. Some only shown the total at the end when you have your credit card in hand.

As far as I’m concerned, the whole thing is fraud. If it wasn’t for TICO that legally forces Ont. travel agents & web sites to disclose the full fee in advance, the scam would be even more widespread.

Is there anything we can do about it? Nope. Hey, vacations aren’t for everyone. ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

Of course, if you are really angry about this, you can ask the LCBO why a bottle of wine is 50% taxes. I’m headed to BUF tomorrow to buy as much vino as I can legally bring back in 48 hours. The difference pays for the hotel for 2 nights plus 2 nice meals at Olive Garden.

It is usually listed as “taxes and fees” and includes things like fuel surcharge. From time to time you will see promotions offering “no fuel surcharge” so the amount is less. I am also a fan of trip central, as you can then compare apples to apples. Hopefully we will get a law like Quebec and they will have to advertise the price taxes in…which is the way I personally think we should see prices for everything. Imagine if gas stations advertised the price per liter, then added taxes as extra! ;D

Thing that I have wondered is with Sunwing, where the taxes will be $289 and $189. Same plane, same resort, but one with Signature(which is still Sunwing) and one booked right with “Sunwing”.

Maybe it is Signature having a no fuel surcharge promotion etc, but there is always lots to look for.

Just don’t look at flying to Punta Cana…normally $300-$425 in taxes no matter what carrier you fly with.

Hence why my last 3 trips have been to Cuba and will remain that way until something changes.

funny, it looks like things just changes, seems the airline industry will now have to post a tax in number

The new law stating they have to include taxes in the price advertised does not apply to “Vacation packages”. Never really get too caught up in the price plus taxes issues. It’s just a matter of doing simple math and comparing the total price. Doesn’t really matter what they call it or how many pieces they break it into.

I set the home airport in the web travel agency to Montreal. For ACV and others that gives me taxes-in on all quotes no matter what departure point I choose later.

dax…as you’re only allowed to bring 1.14 L of wine back into Canada duty free, can you share how you saved enough to pay for two nights hotel plus meals? Would be very interested I doing the same.

In the interests of self preservation and due to slight imbibing recently, I don’t seem to recall. ??? :-X

However, in case you are interested, a 1.75 litre jug (no typo) of vodka is $11. at the liquor store in NY state. Others were $13. and some amazing deals if you have a US address for rebates. Just happened to see that in passing by. :wink: Wine prices at both the duty free and the liquor store were about a buck or two cheaper than LCBO. Not worth the effort.

I also saved a few hundred $$ by buying some Xmas stuff from US internet companies that refuse to ship to Canada. Three Niagara Falls companies have shipping addresses that you can use for $5./package. I expect that I was the only person there who brought the stuff back legally. There were huge lineups. People got their boxes (sometimes a dozen) pulled all the tags and packing off and jammed the stuff in the trunk and drove back. :o :o I was pretty shocked how blatant it was. I was told that Customs don’t care - can’t confirm that as we were there 48 hrs.

Days Inn had a 2 night special for $99. (via Jaunt) which included $10. voucher per night for Dennys. Gotta load up on the cholesterol with the All American Grand Slam while we’re there. ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

Also, did Olive Garden, my wife’s favourite, which vacated Ontario years ago. 2 can dine for $25. :o :o

Was thinking about buying a house using my credit card - they’re that low. :o

In the interests of self preservation and due to slight imbibing recently, I don’t seem to recall. ??? :-X

However, in case you are interested, a 1.75 litre jug (no typo) of vodka is $11. at the liquor store in NY state. Others were $13. and some amazing deals if you have a US address for rebates. Just happened to see that in passing by. :wink: Wine prices at both the duty free and the liquor store were about a buck or two cheaper than LCBO. Not worth the effort.

I also saved a few hundred $$ by buying some Xmas stuff from US internet companies that refuse to ship to Canada. Three Niagara Falls companies have shipping addresses that you can use for $5./package. I expect that I was the only person there who brought the stuff back legally. There were huge lineups. People got their boxes (sometimes a dozen) pulled all the tags and packing off and jammed the stuff in the trunk and drove back. :o :o I was pretty shocked how blatant it was. I was told that Customs don’t care - can’t confirm that as we were there 48 hrs.

Days Inn had a 2 night special for $99. (via Jaunt) which included $10. voucher per night for Dennys. Gotta load up on the cholesterol with the All American Grand Slam while we’re there. ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

Also, did Olive Garden, my wife’s favourite, which vacated Ontario years ago. 2 can dine for $25. :o :o

Was thinking about buying a house using my credit card - they’re that low. :o[/quote]

So why do you think that as a Canadian resident you can “legally” bring into Canada more than your allowed exemptions for the 48hr period ???

[quote=@vagabond]So why do you think that as a Canadian resident you can “legally” bring into Canada more than your allowed exemptions for the 48hr period ???[/quote]I have on many occasions brought back more than the exemption limit, and quite legally. At the land border, I am asked how much alcohol I have, and I tell them truthfully. Most often I am just waved through if it’s just a bottle or two too much. At the airport it’s much the same - I don’t fill out the amount on the card, and instead discuss it with the primary officer, who fills out the card. Again, often enough, I am waved through, and it’s the officer’s handwriting on the card - not mine, so in case a random secondary check finds that I have more than the limit, it is clear that I discussed it with primary, who approved it. Or if sent to secondary, I simply pay what’s due. I have never lied to or misled the customs people.

At the airport it used to work even more easily in the traveller’s favour, in that even if sent for secondary processing, the calculation was done by hand, and invariably way underestimated the amount payable. Now it’s all automated and accurate.

[quote=@vagabond]
So why do you think that as a Canadian resident you can "legally" bring into Canada more than your allowed exemptions for the 48hr period ???[/quote]

You are misquoting me. I did not ever admit to bringing back anything above my legal limit. I was in the liquor store buying wine & champagne while we were staying in the US. :-X

Trent actually has it correct. I asked lots of people while waiting in line at the shipping outlet and also was part of a discussion on another forum. The rule is “don’t lie” and you are waved through 9 times out of 10. One regular admitted to customs that she had bought $2K worth of presents in an afternoon of shopping. she was waved through. What about the constant stream of bus tours going across at 10:00 am and returning 6 hours later with packages stacked everywhere. Hmmm.

Even the desk clerk at the hotel said he went back to Canada daily and brought ‘groceries’ with him most days. Always waved through. Last time I was in Cuba, I saw a guy pack 6 bottles of rum in his carry-on. I asked him and he said, I just tell the truth and they wave me through.

We did bring back far less than our legal limit of $800. each and that alone was a savings of twice the cost of travel and hotel, plus got a mini holiday out of it. When asked, I told the absolute truth, two bottles from the duty free plus $XX. worth of other goods for Xmas.

Statements made should not be construed as advice of any kind, just hearsay and speculation from an old alky. ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

[quote=@dax][quote author=board=cubageneral thread=20240 post=108193 time=1356622915]
[/quote]

One regular admitted to customs that she had bought $2K worth of presents in an afternoon of shopping. she was waved through. [/quote]

I really doubt that!!! Maybe there is more to the story?

[quote=@jetpilot][quote=@dax]

One regular admitted to customs that she had bought $2K worth of presents in an afternoon of shopping. she was waved through. [/quote]

I really doubt that!!! Maybe there is more to the story?[/quote]

I’ve gone over to Buffalo for a few hours many times and have declared up to $600 or $700 and was waved through. There was no alcohol or tobacco though. This is where the big expense would be. For regular shopping, all they’re going to collect is the HST.

Exact quote, "BSO’s always have discretion. Exemptions are just that, exemptions. They don’t mean you can’t bring back anything over your exemption. It just means that you may have to pay taxes due and duty if applicable. And this is where the BSO discretion comes into play. Frankly we’ve done day trips with all 3 kids at back to school time and declared $2k and been waved through, but Black Friday with $2k this year got us pulled over to pay. Discretion and luck of the draw… "

This post is from the mod, so I do not doubt it’s sincerity. Personally, I would not have the guts to do it. However, if you get pulled over to pay HST 1/4 of the time at most, you have saved a HUGE amount of money, both on taxes and on buying in the US.

Some goods have similar pricing in Canada vs US but many things are excessively high. If I want to buy a professional Canon camera, the prices will be very close, sometimes even cheaper in Canada once shipping is added. If I want to buy a good lens for it, the difference is often 50% higher in Canada. Strictly price gouging by the Canadian supply chain. I know the same thing happens in the UK.

I don’t know of anyone paying duty for purchases made in the US unless it’s blatant. The only penalty is HST, which you have to pay anyway in Ont. Unless of course, you have lied at the border or bought booze or cigs, then it’s fine + duties. In the case of an $11. jug of liquor, if caught and you didn’t lie, it’s donated to the sewers of Niagara, which makes it’s way to the water inlets of TO. ::slight_smile:

How is it that I can buy a car that is made in Canada for thousands cheaper in the US, than here in Canada even after paying all taxes at the border???

Complete thread here for my OP.

End of discussion for me. We’re way off topic.

Came back from Cuba with 6 bottles and checked the box yes noting I am over the stated allowance. She asked me what I had bought while away: “Alcohol, some cigars, coffee and a sweater that was a gift from a friend.” Waved through. When going to Niagara USA, after 2 days and reaching the alcohol allowance period, I always tell them exactly what I bought, and always have the receipts. Last time at the bridge, I had bought a selection of 200 ml, 375, 500 mls to get a larger selection (weird stuff like St. Germain Elderflower liqueur which is great with gin in a cocktail, but you don’t need 750 mls of it). They did pull me over, I took in the receipts, they added it up and then sent me on my way. My demeanour is always smiling and pleasant when dealing with customs as they are just doing their job. Imagine a job where you get lied to all day long! :wink:

However, my sibling lives in YOW and gets really investigated. I wonder if it is a matter of volume; when arriving home there were at least ten other flights arriving and I did not see anyone get pulled over into the rooms, it was just a lineup of people exiting.

Then you know the trip is really over, once you exhale after getting through. :wink:

Exact quote, "BSO’s always have discretion. Exemptions are just that, exemptions. They don’t mean you can’t bring back anything over your exemption. It just means that you may have to pay taxes due and duty if applicable. And this is where the BSO discretion comes into play. Frankly we’ve done day trips with all 3 kids at back to school time and declared $2k and been waved through, but Black Friday with $2k this year got us pulled over to pay. Discretion and luck of the draw… "

This post is from the mod, so I do not doubt it’s sincerity. Personally, I would not have the guts to do it. However, if you get pulled over to pay HST 1/4 of the time at most, you have saved a HUGE amount of money, both on taxes and on buying in the US.

Some goods have similar pricing in Canada vs US but many things are excessively high. If I want to buy a professional Canon camera, the prices will be very close, sometimes even cheaper in Canada once shipping is added. If I want to buy a good lens for it, the difference is often 50% higher in Canada. Strictly price gouging by the Canadian supply chain. I know the same thing happens in the UK.

I don’t know of anyone paying duty for purchases made in the US unless it’s blatant. The only penalty is HST, which you have to pay anyway in Ont. Unless of course, you have lied at the border or bought booze or cigs, then it’s fine + duties. In the case of an $11. jug of liquor, if caught and you didn’t lie, it’s donated to the sewers of Niagara, which makes it’s way to the water inlets of TO. ::slight_smile:

How is it that I can buy a car that is made in Canada for thousands cheaper in the US, than here in Canada even after paying all taxes at the border???

Complete thread here for my OP.

End of discussion for me. We’re way off topic.[/quote]

So in a country that’s running a deficit & needs all the money it can get, you, as a person that can afford the luxury travel, see nothing wrong with failing to pay your way thus increasing the burden on your less fortunate countrymen who can merely get by ??? :frowning:

'nuff said :-X

When Dalton McGuinty and his liberals in Ontario have wasted so many BILLIONS upon BILLIONS of dollars of taxpayer money, I have absolutely ZERO remorse in going to the US and spending my legally allowed limit and returning to Ontario after 48 hours.

$49. per night which included breakfast is hardly luxury travel. If you consider that luxury, then obviously you consider all of the people on this forum who travel to Cuba in the same category.

If you have problems, take it elsewhere. This is not the place. You are WAY OFF TOPIC. You have been a member of this forum for two months, perhaps you have a hidden agenda.