Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Poor Canadians - Poor Cubans

Both countries have poor people but the Canadians have a greater problem than Cubans do :::
Re: “Rich get much richer in Canada,” April 3.

Canada’s 86 richest citizens own as much wealth as the poorest 11.4 million citizens, and this corrosive discrepancy has been growing rapidly under Canada’s Conservative government. Over the past 15 years, this pernicious inequality has grown by some 10 per cent.

Of the poorest 11.4 million citizens in Canada, about half a million have more debts than assets. Virtually all of the 86 extremely rich are not company executives, but are, or are related to, company founders.

Two weeks ago, Oxfam calculated that in the U.K., also under a Conservative (coalition) government, the country’s five richest families own more wealth than the poorest 20 per cent of the population, about 11 million citizens. This poisonous discrepancy has grown by five per cent over the past 13 years. Most of these five extremely rich families own their fortunes in Greater London real estate.

A similar onerous profile threatens most western democracies.

Axel Brock-Miller

Langford

© Copyright Times Colonist

And this has what to do with Cuban travel?..

Cheers,
Terry

Maybe not so much to do with Cuban travel, but it does make me think a bit when I hear or read some of those comments about the “poor Cubans” that some travelers want to save. I suppose there is less of a gap between the poorest Cuban peasant and the most well-to do resort worker than there is between the top and bottom of Canadian society. Of course, that goes without saying, doesn’t it.

It is all about understanding poor Cubans !!!

And poor Canadians.
Russians own vast tracts of real estate in London and China owns the equivalent of 5 western US States for the current debt owed them.
Many Canadians travel to Cuba because it makes us feel rich for a week. A well needed vacation from our own situations.

If you travel to a foreign country you should know something about it - right Terry ???