Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

PRDO Royal Service at Christmas

Looking at Paradisus Rio De Oro in Guardalavaca for Christmas, and thinking about the Royal Service this time. The regular five-star was pretty nice, but does anyone have experience with the Royal Service? Is it worth the upgrade?

Also is it very busy at Christmas? I was there in May and it was busy (IMHO) as you could never get a good spot on the beach - I ended up at the security guard’s palapa or wedged under a sea grape. Guess it will be better with a private RS beach.

All thoughts welcomed!

Also, what is the winter temperature like Christmas week in Holguin? I was at Sol Luna y Mares next door one early January and it was a freakish 15 C that week. Looks like the average is about 22-26 C, so let’s hope!

I was surprised that you had a problem finding a decent shady spot at the beach. I’ve been assuming, never a good idea, that a 5* resort would have sufficient loungers and shade for everyone at the pool and beach.
Did you find that the food at PRDO was significantly better than at Sol Luna Y Mares?

My travel mate sleeps in late so we are not down on the beach by 8:30, choosing a primo spot. By 10:30, it’s pretty much catch-as-catch-can. I burn easily so shade is a priority; friend likes to roast in the sun!

I found the PRDO food better than SLYM, especially in the RS restaurant - it was really five-star in that area. Much more selection at PRDO (International, Cuban, Japanese, huge buffet) and you could get lobster. Think of the French restaurant at SLYM and that’s about the level of food at PRDO. (French restaurant is the creme de la creme at that resort).