Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Price drop in May?

Hello,
Just wondering if some frequent travelers to Cuba could give me an idea what kind of price should I expect to pay in May? I assume that since it will be a low season then,the price MUST go down (right now it’s about $1200 -taxes in for MCSM, for May!!) :o

I read all the posts about how this year is different with last minutes and prices, but is there any hope?? ???
How long can I wait before I should book my ticket?

Well we are traveling in May and GAVE UP waiting for a price drop.AFTER seeing the price go up we booked so we wouldn’t pay even more.The prices have indeed been very strange this year.(due maybe to the economy)
We payed about that too…
How long you wait is up to you and how much you want to gamble…
GOOD LUCK!!! ;D

Thanks,
I would think they would lower the prices because of the economy,but I quess they still have people dreaming to go away,so no point in selling cheap .

We booked May last year to Santa Lucia and got a good price 3 weeks before. But as Torah said, prices have been acting strange lately.

As a note, while I enjoyed the May weather in Cuba, my wife hated it and said it was too hot. She spent nearly every afternoon in the room while I went roaming & sightseeing on my own.

This is the way I approach it. I have a cut off price in mind. If I find a price I am happy with for the time I want to go, I grab it. Sometimes you can get a last minute sale but you have to be willing to wait until about four weeks before your trip. If you see a price you can live with before that time I would take it and don’t look back. The trip might come up advertised lower later, but if it is on a sell-off there are no guarantees that you will get a seat. Seats sell out very fast.

Good Luck

Last may we got an awesome deal for Cuba ($500.00) each for the family and we booked 4 weeks in advance. We booked at Brias in Guardalavaca. In June the prices were even lower than they were in May.

Good luck settling for a price you can live with. :wink:

Freedom Ryder 8-)…

Thank you all for your advice :slight_smile:

I do have a price I can live with in mind (and the resort I want to go to ).I guess ,I can still wait a little while and see what happen .

I don’t mind the heat ,as long as I am at the beach and can swim in the ocean …I am in :slight_smile:

[quote=@maluszek]Hello,
Just wondering if some frequent travelers to Cuba could give me an idea what kind of price should I expect to pay in May? I assume that since it will be a low season then,the price MUST go down (right now it’s about $1200 -taxes in for MCSM, for May!!) :o

I read all the posts about how this year is different with last minutes and prices, but is there any hope?? ???
How long can I wait before I should book my ticket?[/quote]

Where are you departing from? If leaving from Montreal or Toronto, personally, I would take the chance to wait a bit, because prices are generally lower in May. That being said, that is a decent price for the MCSM, I doubt it would go below that by more than $100/200. Would you be willing to consider one of the other resorts on CSM? There should be some pretty good deal for the Barcelo, since it just opened.

Another factor to consider is how many flights per week head to CSM from your destination.

And as has been said many times on this forum, if your heart is set on a particular destination and/or resort, book as soon as you find a price that fits your budget, then don’t look at the prices again!!

I am going from Toronto and going to MCSM to spend some time with my friends ,I met there.

I know what you mean AnneM,“book the trip and don’t look back” ! I am afraid that will be hard to do (not to look back).I imagine the price won’t drop below $1000.I guess I am comparing it to my trip in late Nov,when I paid less than $800 ! Both months are in low season,but watching the price,I doubt ,I will be that lucky again :frowning:

i am booked for April 30 to May 14. I booked 4 weeks ago and the price has jumped 250.00 for 2 people so i don’t know about price drops this year also my travel agent said this year is a very busy season the best in a while don’t get it with the economy the way it is, but i guess the last thing we give up is our trips

People always ask me how I get such great deals . They assume, wrongly, that they are " Last Minutes ". Most are booked at various time and are far from last minute bookings.
While friends are busy wondering " how can that be possible ? ", I am at the airport , looking forward to sun and sand.
Prices always eventually go down even if only for an hour or a day.
By the way - MCSM - July/08 - $498/tax :sunglasses:
Be patient and watch - It’s just like fishing - eventually you will get a bite :wink:
Enjoy :slight_smile:

[quote=@maluszek]I am going from Toronto and going to MCSM to spend some time with my friends ,I met there.

I know what you mean AnneM,“book the trip and don’t look back” ! I am afraid that will be hard to do (not to look back).I imagine the price won’t drop below $1000.I guess I am comparing it to my trip in late Nov,when I paid less than $800 ! Both months are in low season,but watching the price,I doubt ,I will be that lucky again :-([/quote]

You went to the MCSM for less than $800 taxes in?! That wasn’t a good deal, that was a steal!! If you are flexible for the resort, then by all means, wait, because my guess is there will be deals for one-week stays in May, especially if you are flexible on the week.

[quote=@sunbud]People always ask me how I get such great deals . They assume, wrongly, that they are " Last Minutes ". Most are booked at various time and are far from last minute bookings.
While friends are busy wondering " how can that be possible ? ", I am at the airport , looking forward to sun and sand.
Prices always eventually go down even if only for an hour or a day.
By the way - MCSM - July/08 - $498/tax :sunglasses:
Be patient and watch - It’s just like fishing - eventually you will get a bite :wink:
Enjoy :)[/quote]

I agree with you 100%. Last time we booked in Nov for January and the price drop lasted about 3 hours before it went up again. We got a trip for 4 for $1670 taxes in. I thought that was hot for middle of January. We would usually pay just a bit less then that for 2 people and consider it a good price. Going with the kids, I was hoping for a deal under $2500.

Now I’m hunting for something mid to late April for two people. Kinda departing about getting in on the sunwing no fuel surcharge, but it still doesn’t seem like a steel.

I have been noticing the last few days or maybe a week that the end of march has come down significantly. At least the prices are not outrageous anymore, like they were since January.

We’re planning on going East Canada this year (West was 2007) instead of Cuba because we didn’t see the usual selloffs. No loss for us. There are ALWAYS alternatives if the price doesn’t meet our desire. We too thought with the economy tanking and job losses, that there would be deals. Haven’t seen Brisas Sierra Mar last minute at all this season.

I would be surprised if the price doesn’t drop in May. That said, it has been an unusual year. My TA says things have been really busy…sort of counter-intuitive in today’s economy. Maybe a combination of truly “wintery” winter and people desperate to get in one last trip before their own job takes a hit…hard to say.

I very seldom pay over $1000 taxes & single supplement included. I’ve used different tactics at different times. I’ve done the extreme last minute thing, but lately booking ahead…sometimes pretty far ahead…seems to have worked best. My trips this year have probably averaged around $700, all in. That average was helped a lot by a couple of real steals in the fall. :smiley: (can you say “Breezes Jibacoa” for $538, taxes in???)

This forum is also invaluable for tips. I have landed a couple of trips because someone discovered a deal and shared the info here…presumable after booking their own trip! ;D

eeeefarm, another factor which helps you considerably is that you seem pretty flexible with respect to the destination. I get the impression that you are very open minded and willing to try new resorts, and this great attitude is perfect for seizing an opportunity as soon as it comes your way! Hope you keep doing that, because we get to benefit from your wonderful pictures! :wink:

If I were going in May, I too would wait, unless I only had only one resort in mind.

[quote=@annem]eeeefarm, another factor which helps you considerably is that you seem pretty flexible with respect to the destination. I get the impression that you are very open minded and willing to try new resorts, and this great attitude is perfect for seizing an opportunity as soon as it comes your way![/quote]Hey, it’s warm, it’s Cuba, it’s snowy in Ontario! No brainer! Seriously, if I see a deal, I’m there…unless I have a really good reason not to try it. A new area of Cuba is a bonus. Of course, I’ve even gone to a two star (Don Lino…I loved it!) so I know I’m up for adventures the average holiday seeker wouldn’t chance. That said, if I could only go on one trip a year I would be a lot more picky. Fortunately, being retired means the only question is whether it is my turn or my husband’s. (we didn’t travel for over 20 years…making up for it now!) :wink:

Resorts at any destination require people to fill their rooms and make money. Without tourists , there would be no money spent locally. Since most countries depend on tourism , it would not be wise to keep prices at a high level.
It has been my observation and experience that prices and deals, on average, have not changed in the past five years and in many cases are better. Yes, the taxes have gone up - especially D.R. but there are still some great deals to be had.
What will happen to all the resorts if no one comes ? Tourists can’t spend money if it is too expensive to get there.
Think about it.
:sunglasses:

Its funny, I have been around for a long time on these boards and every year around February we have people ask about “price drops” for the Spring, every year the general response seems to be “normally the price drops for May but this year is different” ;)…

Well, yes, this year is different but I am willing to bet that you will still see great sell-off prices for May and June, however, I wouldn’t expect to see prices really drop for May/June travel until after the March Break.

Around here the TA’s are busy right now, this is true, mostly I suspect due to the major amount of people who have suddenly found themselves with extra time on their hands, either through lay-offs or forced vacation time.

For instance my city’s major employer (8,000 employees) has gone to a “work share” program since January, demanding all employees take a one-week unpaid holiday per month until June :o… EI has been footing 50% of the lost wages so yep, people are taking this time off work and traveling.

With that being said I still hold my belief that come May but especially June, you will see great prices…

BTW… Last June from Toronto you could get the MCSM for $700 taxes in per person booked the last week of April.

Bev

Wow :slight_smile: So many GREAT advices …thanks everybody,you are a BIG help :slight_smile:

It’s true,because I am less flexible (not as lucky as eeeefarm :’(,I am only looking for MCSM),I have less choices.But like Stevenbev, I also believe that the prices might drop for May :slight_smile: My weeks in May are pretty flexible (that said I would prefer the first or second week).Is it June a little bit scary (hurricane season begins) ? ???

Ewka,you are serious about the 3 hours price drop :o??Wow,I think ,I have to hire somebody to watch the prices for me !This bargain hunting is like a part time job for me already :wink: