Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Price drop in May?

maluszek, most online companies offer an email service to alert you for price drops!!! I use ITravel they email right away as soon as it goes up or down. :sunglasses:

If I had to wait for some one else to inform me of a price drop, I would never get a deal . Sometimes there is only a 5 minute window of opportunity and then itā€™s sold out. Some of my best deals were made online while everyone else was sleeping .Even if I was to spot something, by the time a travel agent was called - if open - the deal would be gone.
Fortunately, I am willing and able to spend the time watching for myself and because of the large amounts of money saved, it is worthwhile.
Having seen some serious price fluctuations - itā€™s scary , I canā€™t depend on someone else :sunglasses:

It is a part time job, it only pays commission (when you find a deal you save) but the perks make up for it. :sunglasses:

In regard to a May departure, even if you are set on the hotel, I would wait if you can be flexible on the weeks. How many dates in May do you have to choose from? ie. how many operaters offer this hotel?

Last minute deals can still be had but a lot depends on if you really want to go to a certain place. For example, there are some incredible deals for next Friday from Halifax: Mar del Sur in Varadero (AI) for $535,; Hotel Bosque in Havana (BP) for $434. Thatā€™s hard to beat, if anyone is looking for a real last-minute and is open to a 2.5*. Some of the 4* have great prices as well (for Halifax)!

Of course, March 6 is a slow week - just before March breaks begin. It will probably be busy (ie fewer last-minute deals) until after Easter.

I am checking few websites and they all offer MCSM .The interesting thing is ,there is NO competitionā€¦the prices are identical .Itā€™s like they are so sure they will sell it,why bother to lower the price :o.

[quote=@maluszek]I am checking few websites and they all offer MCSM .The interesting thing is ,there is NO competitionā€¦the prices are identical .Itā€™s like they are so sure they will sell it,why bother to lower the price :o.[/quote]When you say different websites, I take it you mean ā€œitravelā€ or ā€œyourtravelticketsā€ etc. How about the actual tour operator?? From Toronto I think only Transat Vacations and possibly Air Canada offer MCSM. The other operator would be Hola Sun. Not sure if they offer MCSM or just Las Dunas, Sol & Barcelo. (Forget Air Canada from Torontoā€¦unless you want to sit in Montreal airport overnight!)

Donā€™t forget the prices are set by the Tour Operators not the travel agencies. It really doesnā€™t matter who you book through - the deals come from the tour operators. Choose who you want to deal with -they all sell the same packages. The sellers would like you to think that they are giving you a great deal but the deals come from the tour companies .:sunglasses:

[quote=@maluszek]Hello,
Just wondering if some frequent travelers to Cuba could give me an idea what kind of price should I expect to pay in May? I assume that since it will be a low season then,the price MUST go down (right now itā€™s about $1200 -taxes in for MCSM, for May!!) :o
[/quote]
Another possibility would be to book Sol, next door. You can get that with Hola Sun for just under $1000, taxes in. Even better deal available for a 2 week vacationā€¦$1374, taxes included. From Sol, you can certainly walk over to Melia to see your friendsā€¦

Actually I looked at MCSM and Air transat is the only one offering it. The different websites will usually have the same price for it. Its Air transat that has to lower the price of the package. If you had other tour operators offering this hotel, such as sunwing or signature, then your chances of getting a lower price would be better.

Having said all that, I would think the price will still drop till May.

Thatā€™s the problem,only Transat offer MCSM from TO ,so I am on their mercy ???.

[quote]You went to the MCSM for less than $800 taxes in?! That wasnā€™t a good deal[/quote]ā€¦AnneM, now I know it was a steal !That was my first trip ever to Cuba .The deal ā€œcameā€ to me (TravelZoo) ,about 10 days before the trip .Talking about last minute ! I didnā€™t think twice! ::slight_smile:

eeeefarm,I know guests in Melia may visit Sol ,but not the other way around.Have you done that? No trouble ?
Where did you find Sol for two weeks ,for $1374 ,and what date?
Thank you.

[quote=@maluszek]eeeefarm,I know guests in Melia may visit Sol ,but not the other way around.Have you done that? No trouble ?
Where did you find Sol for two weeks ,for $1374 ,and what date?
Thank you.[/quote]They havenā€™t had a ā€œguardā€ on the walkway turning back guests from Sol for some time now. My husband has had no problems visiting Melia from Sol his last several tripsā€¦in fact, he needed to go to Melia to use the internet last time, as it was not working at Sol. Unless they have a change in policy I doubt you would have a problem, although you should not expect to eat or drink at Melia.

I see Sol from Hola Sun from May 1st on for two weeks at $1374. Itā€™s even less in June. :smiley: (saw it on yourtraveltickets.com) If you go Hola Sun two weeks is betterā€¦since they use Cubana (flight out in the afternoon, flight back in the morning)

I have to think about this solution then :slight_smile:
When I was in Melia,the security guard stooped me from going into Las Dunas (since that was my first trip there ,I didnā€™t even know I walked into Las Dunas grounds ::slight_smile: )
I guess,if that was a problem with Sol,I could always walk through the beach path :wink:

I have been travelling to Cuba for the last 6 years in May and historically the first week of June is the cheapestā€¦May is still expensiveā€¦

[quote=@maluszek]I have to think about this solution then :slight_smile:
When I was in Melia,the security guard stooped me from going into Las Dunas (since that was my first trip there ,I didnā€™t even know I walked into Las Dunas grounds ::slight_smile: )
I guess,if that was a problem with Sol,I could always walk through the beach path ;)[/quote]Oh, they donā€™t let you go to Las Dunasā€¦although you can usually get there via the beach (they arenā€™t as vigilant there as they used to be). Itā€™s been pretty relaxed between Sol and Melia the last few times Iā€™ve been there. I doubt you would have a problemā€¦

Since the beginning of Dec, Iā€™ve been keeping a chart of 2 resorts that I like. I check them once a week, usually. The prices have been up and down, as other people have mentioned. But 3 weeks before the fly date seems to be the magic number; at that point, they drop significantly every time. Not very scientific, but it does show a pattern. And it keeps me from going nuts, waiting for my next trip, to just think myself in Cuba for a few minutes.

:slight_smile: Just something that may factor into the price of the MCSM from TO is that this resort is highly marketed out here on the West Coast right now with some awesome deals. Under $1000.00 pp for a week, which, from Vancouver, is a real steal.

So, IMHO, since the market has ā€œopened upā€ to us out here for that resort, that could be why the prices are so much higher from TO. Usually itā€™s the other way around. Just a thought. :-*