Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Price

Haven’t booked anything yet for the first week in Feb. been procrastinating, and I see the prices have been on the move slightly upward. I was wondering if anyone can tell me historically what will happen with pricing from here on? would you book NOW or wait? Looking at BG Holguin, IB Cayo Coco and a few others locations. Thanks in advance for your prediction or any info you can give me.

It can be a real guessing game. Sometimes a Carrier may have a sudden (and brief) discount if things aren’t moving too quickly but if bookings are good … prices will probably continue to increase as time moves on. Most Carriers now have “Price Drop Guarantees” so if you book now and price does go down and if you’re registered you can benefit this way.

Special, must go resort? or if you are looking for two weeks, maybe book now. If you’re within driving distance of Pearson you can wait for a sell off to somewhere.
Last year the prices went up to the last minute then dropped like a rock in the last 20 days.
The price guarantee only works up to 30 days before you go. After that, the tour operators can do what they want and drop prices without refunding the early bookings.

We booked in June (for our Feb. vacation) and the price has gone up $400 since Oct. 1st (twice in the past 30 days). I expect it to continue to rise. As others have mentioned, if you want something specific, book early and two week packages are limited on each flight so, again, waiting until the last minute, or too long could cost you the time period you want to travel.

[quote=@spunky]
The price guarantee only works up to 30 days before you go. After that, the tour operators can do what they want and drop prices without refunding the early bookings.[/quote]

That’s not quite true. It depends on who you book with. For example selloffvacations announced a short price drop promo that’s good up to three days before departure. I’m guessing that SOV will pick up the 18 day diff from what the wholesalers are offering. Really important to read the fine print carefully because the price drops are all a bit different.

I booked my February vacation at the beginning of October because I wanted a very specific date & resort and I was eligible for the price drop protection. I’ve already used my price protection once just last week when the price dropped by $80 per person. Westjet allows you to use the price protection multiple times up to 21 days before departure when the price drops more than $25 per person and there are no admin. charges. The price diff was issued back to my credit card 2 within two days which is better than vouchers for future travel

I used to be a last minute deal booker but found that those great deals we had a few years ago don’t seem to be as abundant in our more limited market. With the increased popularity of price drop protection, I’m guessing the trend will continue.

I’d book now but only with an agency offering the price protection and only after I’ve carefully read the terms and conditions of the wholesaler (Nolitours, Westjet, Sunwing, etc.)

Let’s be realistic: most of us here on the board are NOT twenty-somethings who decide two days before the plane leaves “Hey, let’s DO IT!” I’d love to be able to “walk that way” (Aerosmith ;D) but unfortunately, I have a life :stuck_out_tongue:

I have enough worries without running to check the deals every other day and pulling my (naturally curly) hair out by its silvery roots over a rise or a fall in prices. Over the years, and because we travel a lot with friends from NewBee (we fly out of Qc), we cross our fingers, toes and eyes and book early fall for the following spring and throw three hail Marys to the wind. :slight_smile:

Flight time changes irk me much more than price hikes, to tell the truth.

That said… we’ve noticed the “lobbying” from August to end of September, then prices generally go up and sometimes come down, like the others mentioned, the closer we get to departure.

[quote=@zendudette]Let’s be realistic: most of us here on the board are NOT twenty-somethings who decide two days before the plane leaves “Hey, let’s DO IT!” I’d love to be able to “walk that way” (Aerosmith ;D) but unfortunately, I have a life :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

We ALL have a life! For some of us it means that our lives are just very different from what yours appears to be.

For example, we’re self-employed so yes, we have on some occasions decided two days before the plane leaves that we want to be on it. I can’t book months in advance like many people because I take holidays when I see that my calendar will allow me to “sneak” away. I have the great fortune of not having to tell my employer months in advance of my vacation plans.

Price is also important to me because when I decide to go away, I don’t get a pay cheque or holiday pay deposited automatically into my bank account. My trip includes the actual price of the vacation AND the potential loss of income while I’m gone.

Since we travel as a couple, picking up a last minute deal was generally an easy thing to do, even more so because we aren’t super picky. Now these last minute deals are farther and fewer between. In the past two years, we’ve found ourselves going away less often than we used to.

Price has a huge impact on some of us!

I don’t think anyone should be faulted for how they do business. Everyone’s lifestyle is different so each to his own ! Being retired I don’t have a bottomless pit of money so we book when the price appears reasonable. Sometimes we have to pay a few dollars more for our preferred time of arrival to and from. It can be just like the stock market - sometimes prices go up; sometimes they go down. The bottom line is having our week in Feb. to rest the body and mind and get away from cell phones, computers and such ! There are some places we’d like to go but prices prohibit it for us. Hey, I don’t want to buy the Island… I just want a week’s vacation !!!

I wouldn’t have procrastinated this year. With the price drop guarantee(whatever the terms and conditions are) as well as the low deposit required(as low as $50) the companies have gotten very smart at finding ways to get seats booked and filled up early, thereby eliminating the need to sell off cheaply the remaining rooms and seats.

Of course there are exceptions to everything, but from what I have seen so far this season it all points to higher prices and less last minute deals so far.

If you see what you like, when you want it, I would book and not play the game this year.

I still play the last minute game.
I have booked off work from the 10th to the 20th of Jan. I don’t know where I’m going but I will likely book on the 8th or 9th. to leave on the 10 to 13th.
The bag is packed and the bike is boxed, ready to go.
Historically that week is the cheapest for last minute deals. Sometimes as low as $40 plus taxes for a week. If I can’t find a super deal I will pay the same as people who booked months ago. I don’t care where I go.
Winter in Bruce County vs. a week on a beach in Cuba…

[quote=@bigjohn]I still play the last minute game.
I have booked off work from the 10th to the 20th of Jan. I don’t know where I’m going but I will likely book on the 8th or 9th. to leave on the 10 to 13th.
The bag is packed and the bike is boxed, ready to go.
Historically that week is the cheapest for last minute deals. Sometimes as low as $40 plus taxes for a week. If I can’t find a super deal I will pay the same as people who booked months ago. I don’t care where I go.
Winter in Bruce County vs. a week on a beach in Cuba…
[/quote]

What??? $40.00 plus taxes? howmuch are taxes?

Also BigJohn You just hit a big milestone on the Forum… you hit the 1000 posts. ;D ;D Congrats ! :wink: :slight_smile:

Air Canada Vacations offers the price drop guarantee, also, but, you have to pay attention to the prices and, if you notice a drop, you have to contact them (or your travel agent). ACV will not contact you to let you know the price went down.

@ald1
The taxes were the usual, about $276. I did not take advantage of that price myself because my wife was already away that week.
On the 1,000 posts - they didn’t include the years of the old board, (before 2004). I’m sure I had 20 or 30 posts on that one too.

YVRck, I dearly hope I did not offend you with my post…
No offense, really, in fact I ADMIRE people who can just up and go at the drop of a hat.

Translation: I’m jest a big fat insecure chicken pok pok ::slight_smile:

[quote=@zendudette]
Translation: I’m jest a big fat insecure chicken pok pok ::)[/quote]

Throw in “funny” 'cause you gave me a good chuckle ;D

[quote=@zendudette]YVRck, I dearly hope I did not offend you with my post…
[/quote]

Heck no! Takes a lot to offend me because I’ve developed very thick “forum user” skin over the years. Just wanting to point out that differing lifestyles require very different strategies for how we go about getting our vacation deals or doing our bookings.

From the various replies to the OPs original question, I see that the last minute people are still alive and well, just a bit more frustrated these days because the goal posts have been moved on us so we’re trying to figure out a new set of rules for the game. Play on!

Seems to me that the Toronto & Montreal people are squawking the loudest these days about the lack of those super rock bottom prices they got used to finding over the years. We in the much more limited markets like Vancouver don’t cry so much in our beer these days. It was a hard pill to swallow when we thought anything under $1000 per person/week for a 4 star was a good deal, only to find out the same resort was going for $400 out of Toronto or Montreal.

ocanada, I was just browsing offerings for when we are going in Feb. (1st two weeks) and I noticed for the resort we are going to, tour operators are only offering poolview and oceanview so it looks like gardenview rooms (lowest category) have been sold out. You might want to check out the areas you mentioned and see what’s available. It might be time to end the procrastinating :wink:

I have already taken advantage of Sunwing’s Price Drop Guarantee this year. It was really easy - I just watched the price and one day it was $250. less than what I had paid. I filled out an on-line form and about 3 weeks later, a cheque for $250 arrived in the mail! Imagine my surprise as I RAN to the bank to cash it before they changed their minds! :smiley:

Yes, I had to watch the price, but it was SO worth it. (I’d check every Tuesday, as that seems to be the day that they tend to change things up.)

Hollydog… Getting a cheque from a Travel provider… definately priceless… I do hope the cheque clears…lol

Ocanada… We book really early again this year and have gotten away from the last minute thingy. Like a few others have noted if one travels for 2 weeks then your choices are limited by the airlines restricting seats for such travelers. Since we are also among those the return to the same resort each year we are also restricted by this and by flying out of an airport other than YTO or YUL.

Still we got a great price again this year for our pilgrimage to Jibacoa and the only downside is the long wait until we are on the beach again.

Lucky you, Hollydog ! I haven’t been as lucky so far. Prior to booking with Sunwing for our Feb. jaunt to BJ, our Travel Agent contacted them to see if I would qualify for the Price Reduction Guarantee since we were booking a week, piggybacking our free week, and paying the deviation fee. The Sunwing Rep said we WOULD be eligible as we WERE booking a package and the deviation fee was over and above!! Now they have denied my claim. They are now saying that I have NOT booked a one week package - rather a two week air and that rates are not going to be the same as when booking a straight one week package. The reduction I submitted for WAS for the one week package we paid for exclusive of the deviation fee. I have not heard back from her since my last e-mail on Oct. 29. Gotta go now and have a shot of my Havana Club Reserva to calm down !!!