Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Punta Cana or Puerto Plata

Hello,

I’m seeking the opinion of those that have been lucky enough to have traveled to both Puerto Plata and Punta Cana. I have previously been to the Victoria Resort in Puerto Plata and loved the resort. I would like to return to the DR next year with my mother and sister and am wondering East or North coast?

Thank you!

Hi,
I have been to Luperon ( Puerto Plata ) and also Iberostar Punta Cana.
When we first travelled to Luperon Beach Resort it was Dominican owned and simply the best place i had ever been to. Sadly, it was taken over by Best Hotels and the standards dropped. We then went to the Iberostar Punta Cana. Both resorts are loved by lots of people for many different reasons. Personally, i think Punta Cana is best. The beaches are some of the best in the world.
Good luck choosing,
Jason

The two coasts are like apples and oranges. You’ve been to one, now try the other. That way, you can make your own comparisons. :sunglasses:

The beaches are prettier in Punta Cana, but you won’t find the off-site things to see like you experienced in Playa Dorada.

Mi dos pesos…

Tom

Exactly!!
Puerto Plata … beaches not as pretty or clean, but lots to do within the resort area and in town.
Punta Cana … better beaches, but not nearly as much to do outside of the resort (unless you book excursions)

The above members are exactly right. I have been to both now and I don’t think you can compare the beautiful beaches & sand of PC. Having said that there is a lot more to do off resort in POP.We enjoyed both vacations for different reasons .Myself being a beach person I would go back to PC next.Try them both then decide for yourself.Anothere thing is the resorts in POP are older and not nearly as fancy as PC so if that’s important to you then try PC. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I agree as well. We tried PC this year after 4 years in POP. We would go back to POP. We missed being able to leave the resort to go on adventures for shopping and in town. Don’t get me wrong PC beaches were wonderful, the weather was amazing and I loved snorkeling right off the beach but I missed POP.

Marc and I are pretty much confirmed North Coast fans. However, for our trip in August which is to celebrate our 15th anniversary, I have pretty much decided on East or South and preferably a smaller resort. I don’t really want to leave the resort this time, but we will more than likely return to our old ways in the future.

Rose

Hello! Yes we have been to both. Beaches are a little disappointing in POP once you’ve seen Punta Cana. Liked both for different reasons but we plan on Punta Cana next trip. It truly is paradise!!