Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Punta Cana - Rocks in the sea?

I read a post about there being rocks in the sea at Punta Cana. Is this true and do we need to bring those shoes that you wear in the sea?

Well like I told you in the PM I sent you… its really rocky and water was very rough at Dreams Punta Cana… we were not able to go into the water at all there… we spent all our time at the pool because of it. and we are ocean ppl, not pool ppl… Mind you though…beach area was nice for tanning…lots of loungers and palapas…and the beach bar was great too…BBQ hut on the beach is fabulous… Chicken is to die for… awesome burgers too…spicy…

Depending were you are, however, I would say over 90% of the beach / ocean is the nicest sand you will ever see. So fine it’s like power sticking to your feet.

I was wondering how far up the beach the fine sand went (in the water) before you get into some rocks, coral, etc. We’re booked into Dreams in March and we’re beach people too. How is the beach there compared to other areas in Punta Cana?

We like the sea too and get bored staying around the pool. We are only there for the week so maybe we won’t need shoes for the sea, your comments in the pm have me worried now.

I don’t suppose you can change hotels without paying extra can you?

Hi, nbguy…at Dreams PC there are rocks in water if you go in right in front of resort…if you go a little to the left by the turtle trampoline you will find nice sand and swimming. the beach is nice …the sand is not as white as the Bavaro beach area but is nice and soft. If you go to the right of the resort in front of Colony Bay you will find some fun waves to play in. Don’t worry it is a great resort and you should enjoy it.

[quote=@ilovemyholidays][quote]

Well like I told you in the PM I sent you… its really rocky and water was very rough at Dreams Punta Cana… we were not able to go into the water at all there… we spent all our time at the pool because of it. and we are ocean ppl, not pool ppl… Mind you though…beach area was nice for tanning…lots of loungers and palapas…and the beach bar was great too…BBQ hut on the beach is fabulous… Chicken is to die for… awesome burgers too…spicy…

[/quote]

We like the sea too and get bored staying around the pool. We are only there for the week so maybe we won’t need shoes for the sea, your comments in the pm have me worried now.[/quote]

Sorry about that…but can only tell you what we saw from Friday until yesterday…Not a single person was in the ocean the last three days we were there…first couple days a few tried…then they also went poolside…maybe you will be luckier and water will be calmer, but it wasnt the days we were there

Well the turtle trampoline was beachbound the whole time we were there…and I did not see anywhere to be in the ocean during the days we were there or trust me…I would of been in it. I dont come all this way to sit in a pool, I can do that at home.

Hi Ontariobowhunter…We were there in April ‘08’ and the turtle was in water everyday. I had heard similar stories to yours on how rough it can can and was worried for our trip. I guess we were lucky as we are beach not pool people as well. I was also able to kayak every day as well. By the sounds of what you are describing it sounds like they were grounded as well. That would be a “bummer”. I would have wanted to move as well. How do the facilities of the two resorts compare?
Have a great time! :smiley:

[quote=@bobroswill]Hi Ontariobowhunter…We were there in April ‘08’ and the turtle was in water everyday. I had heard similar stories to yours on how rough it can can and was worried for our trip. I guess we were lucky as we are beach not pool people as well. I was also able to kayak every day as well. By the sounds of what you are describing it sounds like they were grounded as well. That would be a “bummer”. I would have wanted to move as well. How do the facilities of the two resorts compare?
Have a great time! :D[/quote]

Like I said, maybe the water might be calmer the day your there… but during our stay…waves were hitting us in the shoulders, just a few feet from shore…

To compare the two resorts is hard to do to be honest… as one is compact while the other is very spread out… There are a few more amenities and sports things to do at DPC, but the ability to go into the water iat Palm Beach makes up for that. Think, just as a guess, the DPC property is probably 4 times the size of DPB…but that is only a guess.

Rooms at DPB are in my opinion nicer than the ones at DPC but that could be because alot of these were refurbished recently.

Pools at DPC are 4’ deep compared to 3’ deep at DPB and the one at DPC is gigantic…its reported the largest pool in the DR, which I believe…takes you a very good 20 minutes to walk it, while the one here at DPB is two smaller pools.

Food was/is excellent at both, cant complain about either variety or quality or quantities… Bar drinks are top notch…premium everything available at all bars all the time. (Drank my fair share of double baileys on the rocks)

Entertainment shows are great at DPC, best I have seen in all my trips to DR, the only one we have seen here so far was very good as well.

Only ‘hotel’ issues I had was with the fact there was poor lighting at DPC compared to here, and the upkeep of public walkways and bridges at DPC left something to be desired. Again, more of that in the reviews I do on both hotels when we get back… have lots of pics of good and bad at both…

I believe that DPC is 5* and DPB is 41/2* but I think this one is much superior to DPC in alot of ways…again, reviews will discuss this in detail.

Dont know if this helped or confuses more…again, can only speak of 'our own personal experience’ at each resort, and I do not comment on things in general as I feel that is unfair to do so.

ilovemyholidays, we’re all about the beach as well. Our last 2 vacations were at a resort on the Mayan Riviera that warned right on it’s website that there is a lot of reef in the water all along the hotel’s beach. We looked for those pool shoes, but because of the time of year, the only ones we could find were in actual swim shops, and quite expensive. We decided to just buy some of those ass-ugly rubber Croc type shoes (my apologies to anyone out there who thinks Crocs are the height of fashion ~ just not my taste = ) ) and they worked perfectly. The holes drained out the water, they’re extremely lightweight so packing them to go, then stuffing them into our beach bag was a total non-issue. The heel strap kept them on in the water, and the one time I DID lose a shoe, it floated right up to the surface and, due to the hideous nature of it’s Croc-ishly obnoxious colour, I was able to spot it right away. They ended up being one of the most useful things we’d packed. We took them to Mexico 2 years in a row, and I have to admit that I just bought a new pair to take with me to Punta Cana later this month. The good news about a rocky stretch of sea is that you won’t have to share it with too many people! Have a good time!

We’ve just gone through 3 days of -30 and below. We’re expecting 40+ cm of snow tomorow. Right now any beach would look good…