Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Punta Cana to Santa Domingo

Does anyone know the distance from Punta Cana (Bahia Principe Bavaro) to Santa Domingo? Also how are the roads?

From Punta Cana to Santo Domingo it takes ca. 4 hours by bus. With a taxi or by car you will be a little faster. The roads are ok for the Dominican Republic (a lot of holes in the streets).

It is 200something?? km’s! Having done this trip often, I recommend taking the express bus from Bavaro bus station which departs daily at 07h00, 10h00, 14h00 and 16h00! They stop for washrooms/refreshments in La Romana only, about halfway. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride…not the stress of being the driver, so let the capable bus driver do the work. I dont find the road conditions a problem, these are air-conditioned buses and quite comfortable for the price! (about the equivalent of CAD$10). :slight_smile: Enjoy and good luck!

drloquita - Could you (or anyone else who may be reading this) direct me to more info on the express bus? I would prefer not to take a tour as my finance and I (we’ll be on our honeymoon) like to do our research before hand and then see things at our own pace - this option sounds good. Do you know what times the bus leave Santo Domingo? Thanks for any more info you can offer!

Do either of you guys speak Spanish? SD is ahuge city and very overwhelming if you dont know it, I would not advise going solo, I have been in the company of Dominican friends when visiting the capital. Dont know the return schedule but could ask when departing from Bavaro…never take the express back as I like to stop to do some shopping in La Romana. Good luck. :slight_smile:

I know a bit of Spanish, enough to get by, anyway. I’ve been backpacking in Vietnam and a couple of countries in Eastern Europe, so I can’t imagine it will be too much of a shock, but will keep your advice in mind! Thanks!