Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Punta Cana vs La Romana?

I’ve been to Punta Cana 3 different times and loved every trip. This year though, I’m considering the south coast near La Romana. Has anyone ever been to both places to give me a comparison? Should I stick to the tried and true or venture out to a new spot? Are resorts similar in food and entertainment? What about the beach…the ones in PC are exactly what me and bf love for a week of pure laziness on the beach? Are the beaches in La Romana similar w/ white sand and turquoise water? Does anyone know if cost is similar? Thanks for any info!!!

Having been to both, I would have to say the beaches (definitely) and quality of hotels (in general) are much better in Punta Cana.

thanks for the info…a good beach is definitely the main reason for going so it helped that you said PC was better for the beach.

Hola: I totally disagree with Leta. The beaches in Punta Cana are great and you can walk for miles. The reason we love the south coast is because the beaches are great, and the water is clear and calm. You can snorkel right off the resort. Plus you have a small town of bayahibe that you can walk to. We have stayed at the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus and Casa del Mar and both are comparable to anything in Punta Cana. Both Punta Cana and Bayahibe (South Coast) are comparable. We are going back for our 7th trip on Nov. 29.

Bottom line is that you can’t miss at either place.

Mike & Cyndie - The Maineacs

:slight_smile: I’d say it all depends on what you are looking at in a beach and what your criteria is when comparing beaches. You can have a beautiful white sand beach with turquoise water just as well as you can have a beautiful golden sand beach with deep green water.

Live dangerously and try something new! :wink: :-*

I can say that the quantity of hotels is better in Punta Cana, but not so sure about the quality. Depends on what you want out of your vacation.

As for beaches, just because the sand is white instead of golden, doesnt make the beach in Punta Cana better. The south coast is less windy, and the beaches are alot calmer than Punta Cana. True, some of the beaches on the south coast are man made, but that makes it nice as well. Water is always clear, less waves, no undertow, and you can wade out 100s of feet and still be waist deep. I know at CCC in the south, you can snorkel right off the swimming area, or go just past the breakwall and explore to your hearts content in clear prismatic waters.

So again, guess it depends on what your wanting out of your vacation…

Has anyone been to Aruba and La Romana? If so, are the beaches similar in terms of being very calm?
It sounds like they are. :sunglasses:

[quote author=meandfamily board=general thread=1160330227 post=1160362001]Has anyone been to Aruba and La Romana? If so, are the beaches similar in terms of being very calm?
It sounds like they are. 8-)[/quote]

Havent been to Aruba, but have been to Margarita Island which isnt too far away. Beaches are very similar, calm, and BEAUTIFUL… ahhhhh to win the lottery :slight_smile:

I found Aruba very windy. Most days, by afternoon on the beach you were getting your legs sandblasted …

Windy – absolutely. Been there twice. However, the water is extremely calm. You could take air mattresses in the ocean with no trouble whatsoever. I’m wondering if that aspect is similar in La Romana.

Windy – absolutely. Been there twice. However, the water is extremely calm. You could take air mattresses in the ocean with no trouble whatsoever. I’m wondering if that aspect is similar in La Romana.[/quote]

Well I know in Juan Dolio, which is where the CCC is, just west of LaRomana, we are out on the air mattress all the time. Very rarely are there any waves unless it happens to be unusually windy that day. Most of the small waves that due happen, are broken up by the man made break wall that is out about 300 yards or so.

The water at the Casa Del Mar stretch is also extremely calm. It’s generally so calm that they do water aerobics daily in the ocean.