Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Question about power adaptor/convertor?

Hi guys, Im staying at Club Amigo, Varadero this April. I read somewhere that power adaptors and/or converters were required there. I have read other threads about the different types of adaptors/converters and that some are for heat appliances and some are for electronic devices such as cellphones, I-pods etc. I understand that I will need one of each. Now what I dont understand ( please forgive my ignorance, as Im sure that when this is explained Im going to feel stupid for not getting it) is how they all work? ???
I know that the adaptor is to make our plug fit with theirs and that the converter is to change the voltage…but which goes where? Does the adaptor go first and then the converter into that?
Theres a set at Walmart for heating appliances that has both an adaptor/converter, do I need to buy both again for my electronic devices or do I just need one or the other? Ive probably got you shaking your heads and ::slight_smile: but I really just don`t get it. Can someone explain it to me and tell what I need to buy?

Hi nsfamily
As you are already aware most resorts in Cuba are 220v so you will need a converter to convert power to our 110v appliances. Hair dryers and stuff like that require a converter. Things like digital cameras, camcorders for recharging batteries, check you charger. If it shows 110 - 220v that means its dual voltage and no converter is required. I’ve never used one so I would think that the adapter would go first, followed by the converter. Its been our experience that most resorts in Cuba take both European round and US flat. Check with resort. I wouldn’t spend the money on a adapter if its unneeded.


The better quality foreign voltage converters come with built-in adapters. Make sure your converter is the correct wattage for the appliances you plan to use!!

For hair appliances, the converter is plugged into the wall by selecting the built-in adaptor for the plug configuration at the resort, and then the hair appliance is plugged into the converter (usually on the front).

For electronics that are dual voltage, you MAY need an adaptor depending on the resort plug configuration.

Adaptors are generally quite inexpensive, only a couple of $$. A decent foreign voltage converter will cost between $30-$40

Check the Electricity 201 thread in the Cuba FAQ for more info.

It doesn’t hurt to take a surge protecting power bar along with you. I took one last year and felt much safer plugging my toys into it… which was plugged into the converter… which was attached to the adapter… which was plugged onto the wall. :wink:

When I stayed at the Club Amigo I suffered a complete brain fart (common for me) and dutifully plugged all my dual voltage chargers into my power bar, then for some unfathomable reason put the simple plug adapter onto the power bar and plugged it into the 220 circuit.

All my dual voltage chargers were (of course) okay, but the 110 power bar went off like a huge fire cracker and blew the entire circuit panel - not the one just for my room, but the one servicing the entire floor. Even worse, it wasn’t repaired until the next morning.

I kissed a lot of fellow tourist butt that night and following day…


I kissed a lot of fellow tourist butt that night and following day… [/quote]

:slight_smile: I hope you at least bought them all a drink. :-*

There are three different kinds of wattage converters:

#1 - This converter is for a low setting (0-25 watts). This is for electric shavers, radios etc.
#2 - This converter is for a high setting (26-1875 watts). This is for higher wattage appliances such as hair dryers, irons, steamers, curling irons etc.
#3 - This converter has a low switch and a high switch so you can switch to either settings as mentioned above. (I have this one and would totally recommend it)

You have to be extremely careful when using foreign electricity and the power converter because you can cause a major surge to one of your elecrical items and it will be destoyed.

Each electrical item should have a power usage marking on the back of the appliance or on the plug.