Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Question..re money missing

I have been reading many reviews, and a common occurance is people claiming to have money missing from their room safe. Does anyone have any tips on keeping your money/valuables protected? In all of our trips, this has never happened to us, but I wouldn’t want it to either!

I have also never had money…or anything else…go missing, which is not to say it could never happen. I have also forgotten to close the safe on numerous occasions, and again, nothing was ever missing (but I don’t recommend leaving it wide open! Senior moments happen. ;D )

Sometimes people miscount or forget what they spent it on. I have a couple of times thought I was short money, until I reviewed what I had been doing, and invariably discovered that I had indeed spent it. I do think theft is becoming more common in Cuba, and I hear lots of stories about people being shorted at the money exchange. That is one thing I have seen myself. I called the person on it, and received the correct amount, but many don’t pay adequate attention…

I might add, don’t leave loose cash just sitting in the safe. Mine stays in my money belt, and under some other items, so a person in a hurry would be challenged to find it quickly.

I think eeeefarm says it all. A safe is a better place than most but don’t leave anything that would be too valuable to lose. I’m astounded that some people will take more than $2,000. in cash on a one week trip to Cuba. That’s inviting problems.
We keep travel documents, passports, $100. in the safe, so if it’s missing, all can be replaced except the $100. Everything else is kept in our pockets or belt.
Generally the safes in Cuba and the rooms in Cuba are safer than most other countries.

Some tourists do dumb things and that is when bad things happen.

Thanks eeeefarm and dax for your input.

Here’s an interesting article on hiding stuff in your hotel room:
http://www.gadling.com/2010/03/29/hiding-valuables-in-your-hotel-room/

I always take my $20 wrist watch to Cuba. Not too long ago a member here hiding a computer under the bed and he forgot to take it home.

People can get too cute with this kind of thing, and then forget where they put stuff. I am always amazed when someone complains that they lost their irreplaceable heirloom watch or jewelry or whatever on their travels. Why would you bring anything like that?

The article on hiding valuables was fun to read. Anyone who has ever worked in security and done searches knows all those spots and many more. Probably, so do all the cleaning staff (if they do a thorough job!) ;D

Have never had an anything go missing in any of our travels. Of course we don’t take valuable watches, jewelry etc. with us either. People talk about the Milockie security lock all the time but they are not cheap.

At our Resort we’ve never had a problem but I’m not saying it couldn’t happen. We keep money in a few different places - NOT all in the safe ! Keep your patio doors locked even if you’re “just going up to the Lobby for a few minutes”. Anybody, and I’m not talking Staff, could slide in quickly through unlocked or open doors if they see you leave. Locked suitcases can easily be picked then locked back up. I use bright coloured cable ties on ours. The only way to get in is cut them off - very visible. We’ ve left the camera and small bills, etc. on the desk and they’re there and neatly positioned after room cleaning. Got a money belt this year for our couple days in Havana and it works perfect. Money, passports, etc. No muss, no fuss, no worries !

A few years back when we were at Sol Rio we returned to our room to find a maintenance guy working on the lock on our door. The door was wide open and he was sitting in our hallway just doing his thing. The maid saw us standing there kind of surprised and came over to say that the lock on our door wasn’t working and she noticed when she went in the room to clean, so she called maintenance to fix it. It was one of those card locks. We had been there for 3-4 days at that point, and never even noticed. We were lucky, but we learned from it. Now we always try to get back in the room after we’ve locked the door, to ensure its actually locked! Phew!

As for jewelry… I wear/bring my nice stuff to Cuba… because its ALL insured! If I lose it, it will get replaced. That said, I wouldn’t bring anything like a heirloom that wasn’t replaceable!

[quote=@2oldgrapes]Locked suitcases can easily be picked then locked back up. I use bright coloured cable ties on ours. The only way to get in is cut them off - very visible.[/quote] I use cable ties too, but only to find out if CATSA/TSA/etc. has been in my bag. They will cut the ties off, hopefully leave a note, and maybe even put new ties on (experience varies). A thief presumably won’t do the note part. :slight_smile: But you have to make sure you don’t just lock the two zippers together; that is trivially defeatable leaving no evidence. There are many online demos, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI But if your suitcase has a fixed point to lock/tie the zippers to, then it’s much harder for a thief to enter without evidence.

For jewelry I think standard insurance policy is $2000.00 max. except you you policy that cover more. Watches are considered as jewelry.

Ask your insurance provider about a Rider to cover your valuables to their full value for travel. You’ll probably leave them home when you get the quote,

As for jewelry… I wear/bring my nice stuff to Cuba… because its ALL insured! If I lose it, it will get replaced. That said, I wouldn’t bring anything like a heirloom that wasn’t replaceable!

Have you actually checked with your insurance company to see if ALL your jewelry is covered. You may be in for a big surprise.

[quote=@jimbo1954]As for jewelry… I wear/bring my nice stuff to Cuba… because its ALL insured! If I lose it, it will get replaced. That said, I wouldn’t bring anything like a heirloom that wasn’t replaceable!

Have you actually checked with your insurance company to see if ALL your jewelry is covered. You may be in for a big surprise.[/quote]

Have to agree. I stopped carrying a rider for our jewellry decades ago as it was far more costly than insuring our house :o.

As for money missing from room safes, I have to say that I’ve not heard of this being a common occurance. In fact, in my personal experience, I’ve never known anyone to have had this happen to them. We’ve accidentally left money on counter tops, in the room, at various times but it’s never been taken. The only money taken is the tip left on the pillow for the maid.

Back to brunettes original post… the best way that we keep our valuables protected (other than wearing our daily stuff) is to leave them at home !! Don’t need them when laying around the beach or pool, don’t need them when out walking, or swimming, or even for dinner. It would just be something to worry about and we go away to get away from worries !!!

[quote=@jimbo1954]As for jewelry… I wear/bring my nice stuff to Cuba… because its ALL insured! If I lose it, it will get replaced. That said, I wouldn’t bring anything like a heirloom that wasn’t replaceable!

Have you actually checked with your insurance company to see if ALL your jewelry is covered. You may be in for a big surprise.[/quote]

Of course!! I have special insurance to cover all of my jewelry as it well exceeds the typical amount covered. I have all of my pieces outlined in my insurance policy and appraisal letters for the worth of each piece. Sure, I pay more for it but whats the point to have nice jewelry, if you can’t wear it when on holiday!!! Thats just silly to me :slight_smile:

I understand your point, but from a safety aspect it may be unwise to wear seemingly expensive jewelry (whether it actually is or not) in poor, third world countries. On the resort is likely O.K., but even in Cuba it isn’t wise IMO to put a target on your back. JMHO.

We were told by a tour guide many many years ago that a thief in a third world country doesn’t care whether you are injured or die when he/she is trying to steal your jewellery. They don’t know the difference between a $3. Walmart necklace and a $3K one. It’s equal to a meal or a quick fix for them.
To be fair, I don’t think being on a resort in Cuba would be a problem but it certainly puts a big flashing neon sign on you for any potential thieves to see. Insurance will be the least of your worries if you are mugged and spend the week in a hospital.
The deaths of 2 Toronto area people in Mexico a few years ago appeared in part to be from that cause.
Always your choice.

If someone tried to mug me for my jewelry, I would just give it to them. Again, thats why its insured! Also, when I am down south I stay on the resort. I’m not one to venture off… I just want some sun, beach, and drinks :slight_smile:

I get your point though, and its a valid one for sure, but I’m not going to live in fear of the ‘what ifs’ when it comes to wearing jewelry on vacation. Heck, if I lived like that, I probably wouldn’t wear it in the city where I live!!! LOL