Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Really?

My reaction is to shake my head ::slight_smile: :

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/cuba/130501/cuba-remain-terrorist-sponsor-list-state-department-says

I think Mr. Ortega has the correct mind set on the subject:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/23/3360612/remove-cuba-from-lisst-of-terrorist.html

As crazy as it sounds that North Korea is NOT on the list and Cuba is, in a way I don’t mind.

Once the US and Cuba are on more friendly and civil terms, its just a matter of time till Cuba loses its “Cuban” feel and becomes more like visiting Mexico or the DR, along with higher prices, busier resorts and mega resort complexes.

Won’t happen overnight I know, but it’s inevitable if/when the blockade is removed.

In the US, it’s all a political decision and as we have seen, there are very dubious decisions that get made in Washington. As the old guard of ex-Cubans die off in Miami, there is much more room for compromise. Remember, Florida is a HUGE swing state that no future president can ignore and that dictates the decisions made in DC…

I also have to agree that when Cuba gets inundated with American tourists, the Cuba that many of you love will be gone. My crystal ball: The change will be full of problems with more upset American tourists, more corruption and higher prices. A huge number of young, highly educated Cuban will flee and Cuba will be looking for imported workers.

So, be cautious of what you wish for. When prices for Cuban holidays go up, as they did this past year, we’ll probably find most other destinations go up also. We’ve been through the ‘golden years’ of cheap travel. I think we’re in for changes.

[quote=@dax]
So, be cautious of what you wish for. When prices for Cuban holidays go up, as they did this past year, we’ll probably find most other destinations go up also. We’ve been through the ‘golden years’ of cheap travel. I think we’re in for changes. [/quote]

We noticed a big change, already, when we were at our favourite resort in February. A big change in clients. Where once Canadians dominated, not so this time around. It was Brits, Germans and other Northern Europeans and Canadians were in the minority. Folks across the pond have “discovered” Cuba, big time and, from all accounts, like it. Unlike so many Canadians, they don’t wait until the last minute to book, hoping for cheap deals. They tend to book early. I suspect that was part of the reason for fewer Canadians at our resort. They waited too long and the resort sold out. It looks like Canadian tour operators have caught onto the trend. Next winter’s prices are up, already. We booked for next Feb. back in April…way, way earlier than ever before! I was shocked when I went online and was able to make dummy bookings with Air Canada Vacations, Air Transat and Sunwing. I called my TA, right away, and booked. I’m glad I did 'cause the price went up the other day by $280! Oh, and I’m happy to say, Air Transat is back flying out of Vancouver via Calgary to Varadero.