Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Recommendations for Mexican 5-Star Adults Only Resorts

My wife and I are considering a 10-day stay in Mexico this November and, instead of settling for the best bang-for-the-buck on this occasion, we want to stay at a (true) 5-star, all-inclusive, adults only resort. That’s not to say that money is no object ($500/night over-water bungalows simply aren’t in the budget), just that we are tired of being disappointed by bland food, undrinkable wine, and sub-standard rooms. Even at so-called 4.5-star resorts.

Our chief criteria is food (needs to be somewhat memorable); wine (we’re not wine snobs we’ve endured too many crap offerings in Mexico and other Caribbean locales over the years); adults-only (we’re not kid people); and amenities. A nice beach is a plus but not a deal breaker (a quiet pool can work if the beach is rocky or red-flagged). We also like to enjoy late nightcaps on the water so if the only bar that’s open after 11 pm is the lobby bar, we’ll have no use for it.

We’re currently considering the following resorts:

El Dorado Seaside Suites
Upside: Not overly priced; ocean views from all rooms; unique balcony infinity pools; 4.5 star rating from 1500 Tripadvisor reviews; gourmet-inclusive food.
Downside: Many reviews state the unheated balcony infinity pools are permanently shaded and therefore too cold to actually use; other reviews point to limited wine variety.

Secrets
Upside: Well reviewed rooms and amenities (all hotel locations); not crazy expensive; food is also generally well reviewed.
Downside: Better wines cost extra; no outside bars open past 11 pm.

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Upside: Looks extremely luxurious; reviews suggest excellent food and wine
Downside: No outside bars open late (although lobby bar is open air); unheated pools could be an issue in November

I’ve investigated some others (and will continue to do so) but the task starts getting daunting after a while. We’re also open to suggestions for similar resorts outside of Mexico. This may be our last all-inclusive so we want to be pampered.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.