Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Recommended tours

hi
can you recomend tours for me and my family
we have 2 kids ,girl of 10 and a boy 8
we will be doing the dolphin swim (daughter is desperate to do this one ) but we would like to do some more tours and would like to know which ones are good to do+ prices if know

Where are you staying?

From Punta Cana these are the tours available through Apple/Amstar:

click on pic to enlarge and enter each album

[URL=http://community.webshots.com/photo/2084096640056614800ezpddx][/URL]

From LaRoman tours available:

[URL=http://community.webshots.com/photo/2726294430056614800YOJndd][/URL]

hope this helps,
all the best,
baltobabe/mt

:DHi
Our kids were 4 and 9 when we went in March to PC. They LOVED the Caribbean Festival! As a parent this tour was sooooo safe!!! New equipment and everyone had to wear a life jacket when snorkeling! Everything was clean. The bus that picked us up was a school bus with a thatched roof. The kids loved it!!! Everyone has a guide that watched your family as you snorkeled on the reef! The guide held a swim ring and the kids held onto that as we snorkeled. So I actually enjoyed snorkeling!! They feed the fish and there were so many. They even dove down and brought up a starfish for the kids to touch. After that we swam with the rays and nurse sharks WOW!!! On our way back in there was a dance show with costumes and dancing! They had everyone on the boat dancing!!! Every age!!! They had drinks and snacks. Alcohol wasn’t served until all the snorkeling was done! They have two times early and afternoon. We went in the morning and were back to the resort by 1. Had lunch and enjoyed the rest of the day at the resort!!!

just a test

Wow, the Caribbean Festival sounds great!!
Would also add though, The Outback Safari. It’s a full-day tour, and a great way to see the countryside and learn about the local animals, vegetation, history, and culture (especially a good opportuntity to make your own kids appreciate how good they have it!!).
The tour is completely safe, includes a variety of stops (a local school, local home, small zoo-like area, boogie boarding, etc.), and the tour guides are very knowledgeable, and typically very funny and family friendly!!

the caribbean tour sounds great as does the outback safari
thanks for your responces
we will be stopping in playa dorada so i hope these trips will be available from there

If possible, I would really recommend purchasing the tours from a tour rep at your hotel. There are a number of vendors in Playa Dorada (beach and Plaza) that will sell “other” discounted tours outright, or will intentionally mislead you into thinking that you’ve purchased one tour, yet your receipt will be for another tour.
Also, the tours sold by the tour reps at the hotels are usually prescreened for the safety of the guest, as well as the sanitation/safety of the food and beverage provided on the tour.
So, just a little food for thought … :wink:
Shop carefully, and have a great vacation!!

Domican Experience is fantastic - you get out and see the countryside and visit a family, travel through sugar cane fields, visit a school (take pressies for the local kids), visit cigar factory etc etc all in all a real eyeopener and so good for your kids to see how others live.

[quote author=wendypavo board=general thread=1154902959 post=1154981298]If possible, I would really recommend purchasing the tours from a tour rep at your hotel. There are a number of vendors in Playa Dorada (beach and Plaza) that will sell “other” discounted tours outright, or will intentionally mislead you into thinking that you’ve purchased one tour, yet your receipt will be for another tour.
Also, the tours sold by the tour reps at the hotels are usually prescreened for the safety of the guest, as well as the sanitation/safety of the food and beverage provided on the tour.
So, just a little food for thought … :wink:
Shop carefully, and have a great vacation!![/quote]

And the flip side… The vendor in the plaza at Playa Dorados does excellent tours for half the price of the reps. (Mari-Sol?) The only tour that I’d do from a hotel rather than the plaza guys is whale watching, as the speedboats they use are too low to the water to see properly.

Keith - you are right - the hotel reps are VERY expensive! Also, all profits go out of the country to large corporations!!!

I prefer to support local business people like Isaira Tours. They sell the SAME tours AND, ARE insured contrary to what the hotel reps tell you!

The tour company in the mall you refer to is Mar y Sol (in English “Sea and Sun”). There is also Mel’s Tours in Sousa… I have only used Isaira Tours so, can not comment on the service of these other two but, have heard good things.

Outback Safari was created by, and is owned by two local residents … and after paying commission to the Reps, and all other typical business overhead, the profit goes directly to the two of them.
They not only live in the DR, but support the local economy AND make substantial charitable contributions to the locals. And I believe this to be the case with Freestyle Catamarans as well.

Hi. Puerto Plata tour is good but for half the money you can hire a taxi and a guide and do the tour yourselves cost us £30 ($45) for 6 of us!.
Freestyle catamarans are the best for seeing the sealife and a great party is always had book early and book for the saturday if poss it’s the busiest and best day. Book through the scuba guys $75 last year each.
Jeep safari is also a good trip and good value for money. You see the countryside and climb the waterfalls (now not available through the reps as a young boy died) book through John if you’re on Playa Dorada beach got it for $25 each last year.
I also go horse riding at Rancho Montana you don’t have to be able to ride but it’s a good day out and you see alot of places you can’t visit any other way. You go swimming in the afternoon and riding through the river crossing it many times approx $60 each.
Ocean world is a good day too with dolphin swims and encounters I did the encounter and found this was good as you learn about the dolphins and spend more time with them can also swim with sharks go snorkelling feed the tigers or just sunbathe.

Hope this helps

The Waterfalls… Brilliant day BUT, they really should advise people that they need to be reasonable swimmers. One of the waterfalls involves a ‘dog leg’ with steep rocks on either side. I’m not a strong swimmer and on that one, swimming against the flow of water while waiting to get pulled up the waterfall itself, I was exhausted. There was a very large Canadian guy behind me who realised I was struggling… I’ve never been so pleased to have a large, hairy Canadian shove a hand up my arse…

I don’t know if it would be easier to wear a buoyancy aid? I did think about ‘borrowing’ one from the hotel and going again but decided it would probably be even harder to swim against the flow wearing one?

Sadly, to find out that someone died isn’t actually that much of a shock to me because of my experience. If you are an okay swimmer, you’d love it but I wouldn’t risk it again because my swimming isn’t good enough.