Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Rent a car

Do I have to be a grazy for driving in Dr ? :stuck_out_tongue:
It would be nice for driving around in countryside and
meet a locals… :smiley:
Is it just grazy idea or is it worth for? Normally we have
rent a car for just a few days where ever we were in
holiday but now I´m a little worried about it. And secondly ; is it gonna be easy to find out a rental companies and what to expect how much it cost? ???

Yup yer Crazy :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Really, I wouldn’t take the chance…when we were there last time our tour rep told us we could plan on spending at least a full day with the police getting things straightd us that if we had an accident…and if we were impaired…forget it…make other arrangements to get home next year…

Not sure if they were bluffing or not, but I’m not prepared to find out…

Ed in NB

My hubby has rented cars in many different countries and we had a blast driving around.

We’ve been to the DR 3 timea and he would NEVER even consider renting a vehicle! There doesn’t seem to be any rules of the road followed and there are so many mototaxis with so many people - not worth taking a chance. Check out our Cabarete photos for an idea of the traffic and that is a “small” town - it is worst in POP!

There are sooooo many taxis available, no trouble getting a ride whenever you want - you will never be stranded.

If you want to see the countryside and visit with locals, it is easier to rent a taxi and driver for the day.

Olivia

I third the motion, just got back yesterday, and it was 45 minutes geting through Cabarette to the airport. Of all the countries my wife and I have visited the DR and the Philippines are the two that I leave my drivers license at home.
Captian 2002

I think they have one rule of the road…

"He who is biggest has the right-of-way"

The bus drivers who take you to and from the resort to the airport seem to subscribe to that philosophy and those poor people on the motorscooters sometimes think they are bigger than they are…and they usually end up off the road if 2 buses are meeting one and other.

Ed in NB

Thanks You all for replying.
I think we`re gonna do the same thing than in India a few years ago…forget to rent a car! The traffig there
was terrible and if it same in DR- I´m gonna use a taxi.
:-* :-* :-*

Well, I have rented a car before in the D.R. and also have rented dirt bikes. It can get a little hairy if you do not pay 100% attention to what others are doing. I have always just kind of gone with the flow and have never had any trouble. Keep in mind I do not drive in POP during rush hours or at night but other than that I leave myself without restrictions.

Also, if you are a timid driver…FORGET IT!

I rent a jeep every time I go to DR … what city are you planning to rent in ???

Hello Senorita_la_barbie. :wink:
We are going to Punta Cana and stay at Riu Taino.
Could yuo please tell me ; is it expensive for rent a
car and where to find out a rental office?
Thanks Andy :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

depends on what company you go with it can be very expensive… in february i am paying around $400 US for approx. 10 daysfor a hondaCRV jeep, everything included.
Prices vary depending on the type of car you want, extra insurance, etc… your best bet is to check out the car rental places at the airport.

there is no car-rental-place at the airport Punta Cana

Europcar is at Plaza Brisas
AVIS is on the road to the RIU-Hotels
Dollar rent a car is in Cabeza de Toro
Cosentry car rental at Plaza Bavaro
National car rental have a website
http://dr1.com/national/locations.html