Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Resorts where you can Snorkel right There!

Looking at resorts where you can get good snorkelling right off the shore, stayed at Breezes Jiboca couple of years ago and it was fantastic but would like to in Varadero (closer to city).
Any suggestions would be great, love the coral and fish.

There is no decent snorkling off the beach at Varadero.

Closest decent snorkeling to Varadero would be at Playa Coral just outside of Matanzas.

Thanks Cuba and YVR, that helps

We love to snorkel @ Iberostar Ensenachos. It’s been great, nothing like Jibacoa but suited us fine. Two wonderful beaches with abundant swim areas and small reefs bridging the two beaches. There is sunken barge that has some amazing sights. After Sandy went by not sure what things are like, will find out in April.

It is treck to the nearest cities, 1.5 hours but there are some super tours of the areas.

If you are open to areas other than Varadero, there are many places in Cuba where you can snorkel right off the beach.

Hi eeeefarm;

Could you name some?
We want to go to Cuba for the first time (we’re a family of 4, with 2 kids under 12) and I just found out that CVJ has a MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY OF 3 PEOPLE PER ROOM!! We need to book 2 rooms … anyway… My basic requirement is for snorkeling on real coral right off the beach (or within walking distance) of the resort.

We’ve gone to Akumal Beach Resort in Mexico twice, and were quite happy there, but my wife wants to try Cuba.

Any other options than CVJ??

thanks!

Check-out the resorts near Guardalavaca. Many have decent snorkling off the beach.

Breezes Jibacoa is one of the best options. Many of the cayos on the north of the island have decent but not fantastic snorkeling. The biggest issue is the problem of red flags in the winter. Sometimes you’ll get 5 of 7 days with red flags and the other 2 days you can’t see anything for the sand floating in the water. That’s happened to me the last 2 winters.

Akumal is definitely a great place to snorkel. Agree that Guardalavaca is decent but not nearly on the same level with Akumal. Been to both.

[quote=@snorkeler999][quote=@eeeefarm]If you are open to areas other than Varadero, there are many places in Cuba where you can snorkel right off the beach. [/quote]Hi eeeefarm;

Could you name some?
We want to go to Cuba for the first time (we’re a family of 4, with 2 kids under 12) and I just found out that CVJ has a MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY OF 3 PEOPLE PER ROOM!! We need to book 2 rooms … anyway… My basic requirement is for snorkeling on real coral right off the beach (or within walking distance) of the resort.

We’ve gone to Akumal Beach Resort in Mexico twice, and were quite happy there, but my wife wants to try Cuba.

Any other options than CVJ??

thanks![/quote]

As mentioned, Guardalavaca has good snorkelling opportunities. Playa Pesquero (the beach, not the resort) is oriented away from prevailing winds, and can be a good choice for that reason. Playa Esmeralda, IMO, offers better snorkelling but more likely to have an issue with waves and red flags.

Depending on your tolerance for lower starred resorts, I could suggest Los Corales (Santiago de Cuba) and depending on the time of year it can be a great choice, as decent warm weather is almost a certainty. Lots to see behind the reef, and for stronger swimmers on the outside as well. Examples [a href=“http://s11.photobucket.com/user/eeeefarm/library/Los%20Corales%20January%202012?sort=3&page=1”]here:[/a]

(snorkelling pictures mostly from page 2 onward)

Other possibilities are Caracol in Santa Lucia, although you have to work a bit harder and it doesn’t have the “wow” factor of Jibacoa. Still, I have seen some really interesting things there.
[a href=“http://s11.photobucket.com/user/eeeefarm/media/Caracol%20February%202010/01FlyingGurnard.jpg.html”][img src=“http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a179/eeeefarm/Caracol%20February%202010/01FlyingGurnard.jpg” style=“max-width:100%;”][/a]

Album [a href=“http://s11.photobucket.com/user/eeeefarm/library/Caracol%20Santa%20Lucia%20March%202012?sort=3&page=1”]here:[/a]

The cayos offer some good snorkelling if the weather cooperates, but again you may have to walk some distance from your hotel to access it.

Thanks a ton eeeefarm!
snork.