Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Resorts with best beach to walk on in Puerto Plata

Hi, I’ve been to Puerto Plata several years ago for a wedding of a friend and we stayed at Superclub Breezes in Puerto Plata.
We’re considering going back to this area.  The beach in front of this resort was not great, couldn’t walk very far and lots of rocky obstacles.  I know the best beaches are on the Punta Cana side, which we’ve also been to but are there any resorts in Puerto Plata that have a nicer beach front that you can walk on?

The entire beach area in the Playa Dorada complex is quite walkable. A lot of the resorts in the complex are closed and the remaining open ones are clustered at the west end of the beach area (by the Orange Market). I’d take a close look at Gran Ventana or Blue Bay in the complex or the Iberostar or Marien resorts just outside the Playa Dorada complex, just a little bit further west. We’re going to try something different this year and go to Lifestyles Tropical out Cofresi way. My understanding is that the beach is nice there too. Time will tell.

Personally, I like the area around Sosua. Sosua beach is usually pretty good for swimming, lots of shops/food stalls etc. Cabaarete has a nice beach for walking (I prefer Sosua though) and again shops/vendors etc. We stayed at Breezes a few times and still miss it! Check out Casa Marina as it is walking distance to Sosua Beach with lots of shops, pubs etc. We have stayed in the Playa Dorada area and I was not fussy on it. Too far from Sosua and basically just hotels. Puerto Plata OK for a day trip or two though. Must say Sosua is my favorite place. Have a great trip wherever you end up! :slight_smile:

The beach from Blue Bay Villas to the Oasis Marien is excellent. It was all refurbed in 2006 when sand was “sucked up from the bottom of the ocean” & transplanted onto the beach area. Also walkable is Cabarette & Sosua.

Best walking beach in the area:
Cabarete with over 6km of great walking beach
Best swiiming and snorkel beach in the area:
Sosua bay
Most hotels along the beach:
Playa Dorada/Costa Dorado

bobk

I agree with you Bobk.

Happy Travels!

[quote=@mommacat]Personally, I like the area around Sosua. Sosua beach is usually pretty good for swimming, lots of shops/food stalls etc. Cabaarete has a nice beach for walking (I prefer Sosua though) and again shops/vendors etc. We stayed at Breezes a few times and still miss it! Check out Casa Marina as it is walking distance to Sosua Beach with lots of shops, pubs etc. We have stayed in the Playa Dorada area and I was not fussy on it. Too far from Sosua and basically just hotels. Puerto Plata OK for a day trip or two though. Must say Sosua is my favorite place. Have a great trip wherever you end up! :slight_smile:
[/quote]thanks for sharing. will definitely check Casa Marina & Sosua. Sounds a “must-go” places. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[quote=@bobk]Best walking beach in the area:
Cabarete with over 6km of great walking beach
Best swiiming and snorkel beach in the area:
Sosua bay
Most hotels along the beach:
Playa Dorada/Costa Dorado

bobk[/quote]learning so much from you bobk. thanks.  :slight_smile:

You are welcome. Where are you staying?
Spending a day or two on the beaches in Sosua and Cabarete will be worth it.

bobk

[quote=@bobk]You are welcome. Where are you staying?
Spending a day or two on the beaches in Sosua and Cabarete will be worth it.

bobk[/quote]Honestly, I haven’t decided yet. It seems I have a lot of options to choose from. I am gathering tons of info as much as I can so then I could convince the hub that DR is the  right place for our next family vacation.

Hopefully we see you and hubby soon

bobk