Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Resorts with something to do around them

Hey All

I’ve been to Cuba about 6 times to both Varadero and Cayo Coco.

I’m looking for a place in Cuba that is a beach resort that has some sort of town or something within walking distance of the resort - I enjoy Varadero for the “tourist town” that it is and I’m looking for something similar (even if it’s not quite the size).

Cayo Coco is beautiful, but the group I’m travelling with prefers to be able to leave the resort and have something to do.

Any thoughts?

I could be wrong, but I don’t believe what you’re asking for (the town) exists within walking distance. I’m sure someone with more resort experience will jump in and correct me.

That said, if your group isn’t picky about the resort itself then Playa Ancon - which is a decent beach - has a couple of very average resorts on it and the lovely town of Trinidad is a short 8 CUC taxi ride away.

Trinidad is a Word UNESCO Heritage site and the surrounding area is great, offering lots of options for horseback riding, hiking etc. Trinidad itself has a lively music scene and some of the best paladars and casa particulars in Cuba.

Good luck.

Holguin and the resort area of Guadalavaca is on the mainland so houses are closer by than with the cayos, but not walking distance. There are towns that are IMHO easier to get to by bus or cab. Guadalavaca has some resorts in it but I would not classify it as a Cuban ‘town’

[quote=@martian] Trinidad is a Word UNESCO Heritage site and the surrounding area is great, offering lots of options for horseback riding, hiking etc. Trinidad itself has a lively music scene and some of the best paladars and casa particulars in Cuba.

Good luck.[/quote]
I concur, we stayed in a casa in Trinidad and it was excellent, loved our stay there, it’s a city that is like it was 200 years ago, good night time music, a really cool pottery factory, lots to do for a few days

Playa Jibacoa offers two resorts: Breezes Jibacoa and Villa JIbacoa (Cameleon). Although no towns within walking distance, Santa Cruz del Norte is 12 km away and Havana 45 minutes. Both easily accessed by taxi and, if in a group, reasonably priced. Round trip to Havana would run you approx. 70+ CUCs Scooters are also available if you want to visit Santa Cruz.

Since I love spending time in Havana that might be a good idea
Jibacoa
What’s the beaches like?

Cayo Largo is all beach. 30 Km of mainly deserted, powder-white beach with no local population except the workers who come for 20 days and go home for 10.
Nobody approaching you on the beach to buy junk. In fact, nobody to bother you at all.
Walk for miles and not see a soul. Rejuvenate your souls.
Probably not what you want this time. Eh?

[quote=@iggy1]Since I love spending time in Havana that might be a good idea
Jibacoa
What’s the beaches like?[/quote]
The beach at Jibacoa is relatively short, and not so white as the beaches on the Cayos. The sand is also somewhat coarser. However, it is an excellent location for snorkelling, as the reef is right there. It’s O.K. for swimming as well, as there are sandy access points, but if you are a wader you will want water shoes.

[quote=@spunky]Cayo Largo is all beach. 30 Km of mainly deserted, powder-white beach with no local population except the workers who come for 20 days and go home for 10.
Nobody approaching you on the beach to buy junk. In fact, nobody to bother you at all.
[/quote]

sounds really nice, but then no Habana

[quote=@eeeefarm][quote=@iggy1]Since I love spending time in Havana that might be a good idea
Jibacoa
What’s the beaches like?[/quote]
The beach at Jibacoa is relatively short, and not so white as the beaches on the Cayos. The sand is also somewhat coarser. However, it is an excellent location for snorkelling, as the reef is right there. It’s O.K. for swimming as well, as there are sandy access points, but if you are a wader you will want water shoes. [/quote]
Well it might do but Mrs Iggy1 isn’t a swimmer at all, just a beacher, and if it was up to her she’d do 7 days of beaching, but I get restless

What about music at the Jibacoa other than that of the shows? I have heard that it is really dead in the evenings. True, yes or no?

Probably yes, but I go to bed early so I wouldn’t know. :wink:

[quote=@iggy1][quote=@spunky]Cayo Largo is all beach. 30 Km of mainly deserted, powder-white beach with no local population except the workers who come for 20 days and go home for 10.
[/quote]

sounds really nice, but then no Habana[/quote]
You can do a day trip to Havana by air from Cayo Largo.

Probably yes, but I go to bed early so I wouldn’t know. :wink:

sounds really nice, but then no Habana[/quote]
You can do a day trip to Havana by air from Cayo Largo. [/quote]

we did that last year from Santa Maria, do you know how much $

I would try Trinidad… I believe they even have an all-inclusive there (just don’t expect too much!)

[quote=@iggy1][quote=@eeeefarm]

You can do a day trip to Havana by air from Cayo Largo. [/quote]

we did that last year from Santa Maria, do you know how much $[/quote]

Adult: 154 CUC

http://www.cayolargo.net/excursions.html