Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Review for Dos Playas beach house by Faranda

Cancuns Best Hidden Secret
April 14th - 21st 2018
I traveled with my Husband. Our magical journey to Dos Playas Beach House by Faranda started before we left, thanks to Yeing Lucero, who sincerely and attentively answered all of my emails and accommodated my requests. Yeing made our holiday extra special, we really appreciated all of her efforts. Contact for hotel is guestservice@dosplayas.com
Van ride to the beach house including two stops, at other hotels, took around forty minutes.
Walking into Dos Playas is like coming home from a long, miserable journey, to be greeted by the warmest and kindest Staff, who ended up feeling like a much better Family. Our check in by Manuel was very pleasant and efficient. We loved the fact that the hotel is small, cozy and easy to get around. You have two beach sections to choose from, plus three separate tiered terraces (great for topless sunbathing).
You are also a spit away from the Ferry service that travels to Isla Mujeres and Cozumel. The security guards at this hotel are fantastic, we felt safe and secure at all times. A special Thank-you to Humberto and Osar for being so diligent, watching our belongings and keeping access to the hotel for Guests, only. We were not bothered by one vendor on the beach and that is a first, in nineteen visits to Mexico.
The attentive, friendly and hard working Staff made our vacation effortlessly, we were spoilt and well taken care of. A special Thank-you to Brenda for taking such great care of us at the Buffet and providing beach service, very much appreciated. Other Staff who stood out and provided great service at the Buffet were Luis, Jairo, Elizabeth, Haleth, Daniel and Victor.
The Dos Playas is an older hotel that has weathered many storms and is tired in some areas. Yet despite being set amidst of artificial, monstrosity hotels, the Staff still manage to preserve and capture a special, charming, traditional, down to earth ambiance, that can capture a piece of your Heart and Soul. It is like having a taste of the real Mexico within a jet setters zone. Matter of prying yourself away from your computer, ipad, phone, that sort of thing and actually appreciate what is around you. I loved the rustic, tropical feel and cobblestones walkways around the property. I do not recommend this hotel for people who have mobility issues, it is not handicap accommodating. Be careful using the outdoor pool shower, it can get slick from suntan lotions and can be dangerous.
We had a nice mixture of Guests primarily from Mexico, Britain, Europe and some other Canadians.
Our room 1509, on the 3rd level (no elevator) was pretty basic, but it did have a free digital safe, fridge, and small flat screen T.V. The King sized bed was comfortable and air conditioner worked great. It really cheesed me off that there was no hot water in the shower, had luke warm water at the best and the tiles in the shower get slick when you apply hair conditioner; this issue does need addressing. The step coming from the bathroom into the room was poorly planned, please keep mind of it. Our wonderful maid Susana ensured that we had plenty of bottled water, lots of towels and toilet paper and she did a nice job keeping us comfortable.
My Husband and I really enjoyed the home style cooking. It was so nice to eat real food, instead of processed garbage. Some of the dishes don’t look that great, but most of them are tasty. Some took me back to special memories of my Granny Browne. Also enjoyed the fresh sushi bar and hamburgers at the snack bar. The liquor quality and selection is very basic, but the Best Barman - Apolinar works magic mixing drinks and the bubbly is plentiful and red wine is not bad at all.
If you want modern, marble, chandeliers and the opportunity to strut your prada, then you are barking up the wrong tree, come to think of it you probably will fall flat on your face or, twisting something, while wearing high heels on those cobblestone walkways.
My Husband and I arrived wound up like springs and left feeling rested and relaxed after being catered to and treated like gold. It was so nice going home knowing that we actually had a vacation and ready to face the rat race, and that is why I have rated this hotel a 5 star. We hope to return again soon.