Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Riu Bachata - just back - any?

Arrived back from Riu Bachata yesterday and am in the process of writing a review as I found others so helpful. In the meantime, if anyone has any ? I’d be glad to try to help.

Hi Zachsmom
Thinking of a trip to Riu Bachata-i havent read anything about the beach-how wide is it? colour of sand-i’ve heard its not white, but darker. is it pleasant to walk on? we are 2 females, is it safe to walk the beach, also how is the ocean swimming - is it sandy or rocky? any advice appreciated!!

[quote=@jennsmom]Hi Zachsmom
Thinking of a trip to Riu Bachata-i havent read anything about the beach-how wide is it? colour of sand-i’ve heard its not white, but darker. is it pleasant to walk on? we are 2 females, is it safe to walk the beach, also how is the ocean swimming - is it sandy or rocky? any advice appreciated!!
[/quote]

The beach in front of the Bachata is rather narrow out front of the resort, but there is a larger beach off to the side of the resort towards the bay.

Yes, the sand is not white, its kinda a whitish-brown. Its very nice to walk on though…

If you want to go swimming, the beach in front of the Mambo, the sister resort next door, has the widest beach, and the only beachside bar…only beer and non alcoholic drinks though… and the swimming area in front of the Mambo is DEFINITELY the best, no rocks, little surf, and no undertow. There are also alot of little fish and needlefish along the shoreline in the mornings that you can feed with a few bread crumbs.

It is DEFINITELY safe to walk the beach…using normal precautions…dont wear your pearls!!! LOL…

We walked every morning from the Mambo to the far end of the Bachata property and back every morning after breakfast…it was a very nice enjoyable walk.

I am sure you will like it at the Bachata.

Also, poolwise, the Merengue is probably the loudest and has more poolside activities…the Mambo has the smallest of the three pools I think, and is probably the quietest of the three. All three have a bar near the pool, restaurant and washroom facilities.

Thats the advantage of RIUs, you get to play at all three, and just pay for one…

Also, almost forgot…along the bay side or the Bachata, and the far end of the Mambo are the vendors huts. They are very friendly and NOT pushy at all. A simple ‘no gracias’ or ‘no thanks’ and they leave you alone. We never had a problem with the vendors the entire two weeks we were there in January of this year.

Hi Jensmom. We have been to the Bachata a number of times, most recently in March of this year. As BowHunter said, the beach is not wide, or long. The 3 Riu’s are in a bay/cove and you can walk from one end of the beach to the other in less than 20 minutes. This is not an area where you can walk the beach for miles -the beach is just the length of the Riu Complex. Therefore, it is very safe IMHO. There are some mildly rocky parts - though we have often gone swimming right in front of Bachata without need for water shoes.

Yes, the sand is light brown and the water is not the aqua colour that it is in the Punta Cana area; but hey it is warm and the sun is hot so it works for us! (not too mention that it is significantly cheaper for us to go to POP at the time of year we travel).

The only Riu in the complex with a swim up bar is the Bachata, and that makes the pool a popular, noisy place most afternoons. Any more ? just ask. Also, I have a detailed review posted.

leaving for Bachata January 4th we have a suite what building do you recommend cant wait what other advice can you give me

Ah…lucky you! I’m sure you will love the resort. We usually ask for a room in bldg. 3, 5 or 6 facing the water. Lovely sunsets - I have no idea if there are suites in those buildings.

Bring clothespins - really handy to use with the drying racks on the balcony. Be sure to visit the beach that is down the stairs in front of building # 6. (shown on attached map as "sports beach’) It’s a lovely quiet spot - very calm water - a nice change from the busier locations.

Be sure to write a review when you get back. Any more ? just ask ;D
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/304320/photo28.html

Thanks I will check with the resort thanks for the info . I have 1 other question but will make a topic about it.