Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

RIU Palace Punta Cana

Hey Everyone - long time no post…

Anyway, we just booked trip # 6 to Punta Cana for April 12-19. We are going to stay at the Riu Palace Punta Cana. Our past stays have all been with the Riu Naiboa and Riu Bambu.

Few Questions:

1. If I were to request a room, does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Last time we went in April it rained most days - is that typical?

3. Any heads up on things to expect, do, or avoid?

Thanks all!

Safe traveling…

He Mike:

My wife and I stayed there last year in early March…I absolutely loved it! We were upgraded to one of the corner rooms that had a tower; you walked out your balcony door, climbed the tower steps, and your own private hot tub awaits. Was a great addition, but we were locked up there one day by the maid (I could think of worse places to be trapped). Some people complained about the musty smell of all the rooms; my wife included. I either didnt notice or didnt care. We ate at all the a la cartes and I liked them all. Pool-side fills up quickly in the AM, but not a big deal if you’re an early riser. Great beach in front (the view of the wrecked ship is immediately in front of this resort). Have nothing to fear…you’re going to have a great time!

PS - I brought some old baseball gloves and some Red Sox hats to give away to some of the better staff. They really like baseball items from teams with high profile Dominicans on them (Pujols from St. Louis, Big Pappi from Boston, Pedro from the Mets, etc…). Have a great time.

Thanks for the response!

We are from Boston so I am sure I can dig up some sox gear to bring.

How much did they charge for the room upgrade?

Mike

The upgrade was given to us, for no apparent reason. We were real happy about it. Our friends had the standard room and they were fine with it.

We’re staying rignt next door to you in the Bahia Principe Ambar…we’ll be there from 2/28 through 3/7.

Have a great trip. One of the a la cartes that we just loved was called “Sir Oscars”. If you’re reserving in advance, try that one.

Sox hats are like gold! I bring a couple of extra Big Pappi jersies with me when I go and they practically rip them off of your back! Any of the t-shirts with the big dominican players on them make great gifts.

As for the musty smell that people have mentioned a few times before. I personally have never encountered that problem .However it is the tropics and I would assume the smell “might” be there. Have a wonderful trip to a great resort.