Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Rogers phone in DR

Just wondering if anyone has brought there cell (Rogers) and how pricey are the roaming charges. Need to stay connected for business reasons

Last year, my Rogers phone said “Welcome to the Dominican Republic. The roaming rate is $4.00 per minute”. I turned it off and bought a cheap dumb phone for about $16, with air time. A two minute call home to Toronto cost about 70 cents …

1 Like

Ty bob. Do you know somewhere close to playa dorado that I can buy a cheap phone with phone card? Or is there a phone station close by? I found a phone station in boca chica and I think it was 400 paso for 10 mn call to Canada but that was 8 years ago so my math could be way off lol

There is (or was) a small booth in the Playa Dorada plaza. The guy had a small booth with a Claro sign out front. He didn’t have any phones but I used him to recharge mine. I didn’t even bother with the phone card; I just gave him the money, he made a call and pressed a few buttons on his land-line and bingo my phone had the time credited.
Getting a phone is pretty difficult if you’re not a local but I’m pretty sure he could get you one if you asked. On the other hand, I’ve been offered the use of a cell phone by various people in the plaza. If I made, say a 70 peso call, I’d buy him a 100 peso phone card. Win-win situation for both parties.
My phone was acquired for me by someone local and they are using it and keeping it charged up until I return. It was an el cheapo ZTE (Chinese phone) with the manual in Spanish only. You can’t even buy a phone that basic here. But it works very well. Another option if you have an unlocked phone is to get a local sim card and pop it in your phone. Whatever, it’s pretty expensive to roam with your Roger’s phone. I seem to recall that their roaming arrangement was with Orange.
BTW, everyone tells me that Claro is better than Orange, coverage wise, at least in the Puerto Plata area.

Ty very much bob. Haven’t been on here for a while and doesn’t seem as popular as it used to be

Maybe. All the questions have been asked and there’s about 8 years of archived answers, most of which haven’t changed much. You don’t need to log in to read or search posts. According to the logs, we still get 500-600 visitors per day. There just aren’t many new posts. Oh, the spammers still seem to love us, but that garbage doesn’t stay around long.

Probably too late for this person, but anyone else wondering about Rogers in the DR check this out. Look up Rogers One before you go. Download and set it up on your phone. As long as you have internet you can phone/text with Rogers one. Previously I paid Rogers $70.00 to have international phone/text but it would only work if I had roaming on which made me nervous as I didn’t want to incur data charges.

I find the easiest and cheapest route is to take an unlocked phone, purchase a SIM card with minutes and you’re good to go.

Also, if you have wifi, downloads an app like WhatsApp, TextMe, MagicJack, etc… put your phone in airplane mode, turn on wifi and you can text for free, some apps even allow calls for free too.

Cheers, DEbbiE

I’m pretty sure Rogers One only works if you are postpaid service customer. It won’t work if you have Prepaid (Pay As You Go), a business plan or a non Rogers phone. As an alternate, check out fongo (formerly Dell Voice) http://www.fongo.com/

I went the same route as Debbie, except I bought the whole phone with minutes. It was pretty cheap; you can’t even buy a phone that basic here. Actually, a friend bought it for me. I leave it with her and she uses it as a second phone while I’m up north. That keeps it topped up and I’ll have the same number when I return next year.

[quote=@bobfromcanada]I’m pretty sure Rogers One only works if you are postpaid service customer. It won’t work if you have Prepaid (Pay As You Go), a business plan or a non Rogers phone. As an alternate, check out fongo (formerly Dell Voice) http://www.fongo.com/

I went the same route as Debbie, except I bought the whole phone with minutes. It was pretty cheap; you can’t even buy a phone that basic here. Actually, a friend bought it for me. I leave it with her and she uses it as a second phone while I’m up north. That keeps it topped up and I’ll have the same number when I return next year.[/quote]

you are correct Bob, you must be a Rogers Mobile customer with a paid subscription, That being said if you are, Rogers One is a great service when you travel and in a wifi area, you can call and text , and best of all people can call you by dialling your everyday mobile number…

Just remember you need to be in a wifi area for this to be free, but then again free wifi is becoming easier to find