Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Royal Decameron - a few questions

[move]Royal Decameron questions ???[/move]I have just booked 7 days for my wife and I at the Royal Decameron through Nolitours, leaving Toronto August 6. We have only ever been to one AI before, in Cuba several years ago. I have been through the reviews and forums on this site any they are extremely informative and helpful. It seems that we have selected a great resort based on most of the comments.

I have a few specific questions that I hope someone can help me with:[ul][li]Does the Royal Decameron take credit card payments for the tours or do I need good ol’ US greenbacks?

[/li][li]Should we look for tours off the resort to save money, or stick with the resort planned tours?

[/li][li]Is there any trouble using $50 or $100 US bills or do I need to stick to $20 bills and smaller?

[/li][li]Is the “lock” for the room safe a normal type combination lock or is it a specific lock that we must pay to rent?

[/li][li]Any other opinions on using air matresses for the lounge chairs? Should we bring 2 or will we be OK without them? Probably a hassle to go buy them and pack them. Do I remember seeing that we could buy some at the resort?

[/li][li]I have read a few recommendations for specific rooms or buildings. I have not seen any advice of building to NOT stay in. We did pay the extra for “OceanView”. Any comments? Should we ask for 1’st floor? 3’rd floor? [/li][/ul]
Any help or advice from anyone will be appreciated! :smiley:

• Take greenbacks…I used 50s with no problems.
  • On resort is fine and cheap…and easier.
  • The safe is very…safe. You need to pay for the lock though…a weekly fee if I recall.
  • We didnt have any issues with lounge chairs and I wouldnt consider bringing inlfatables anywhere.
  • Pretty much all of the rooms are Ocean view…its a misnomer. Your room is prob on the lower level closer to the beach. No biggie anyways, we enjoyed the walk up the stairs to the rooms after eating and drinking. If you or your better half have a disability then ask for a lower room.

-HAVE FUN…you will love this place.

http://community.webshots.com/user/dayel1956

I would be very interested in your after trip thoughts. We a a group of 8 that are considering this property for Feb 07. We know someone who has travellled over Xmas for the past 5 years and they have nothing bad to say about the resort. Please post upon your return
Thanks
Round Lake Rebel

Taballen, we just got back from Panama on Sunday and then To. yesterday. Yes you can us Visa or Mastercard for the tours. In fact you can use credit cards pretty well anywhere, except in little shops or markets, but for sure most places in the city. The locks for the safes cost $2.00 a day. Air mattresses get really hot on the chairs, no air circulation. We brought blow up plastic inner tubes and they were great to lie on in the pool. We always ask for 3rd floor but I must admit sometime climbing up the stairs in the heat, I think we’re crazy. If you asked for oceanview you will be on the bottom level, but it was stressed to us at the orientation meeting that it is oceanfront not oceanview. If they ask you if you want to go to the Decapollis for the weekend, we found out that this year it is a very limited all inclusive and you should keep in mind that you will get limited buffet for dinner and not be allowed to eat in the better restaurant except for lunch. If you want to go into the city,they have cancelled the shuttle, but if you ask at the front desk they will order the regular bus for you. It will come to the main gate and it costs $5.00one way. Hope this helps and you have a good time. LS

Lovesun: I am anxious to hear what you thought of the changes at Decameron due to the added construction. Did you get to try any of the new restaurants and did you have any trouble finding a spot on the beach? I can only go by my own experience in these areas but would love to hear some imput from others.

V.

Vyro. We ate at all of the new restauants. The Kontiki is awesome, our new favorite. The shrimps there are way better than El Canal. The Creperie is pretty good. The Chinese Lumperias ie springrolls are good. The new buffet is pretty much the same as the other, but usually quieter. I like the new idea they have of different theme nights for the buffets, with a menu posted where you book the restauants. We had dinner at the Pacifico when it was Mexican and it was great. Beach was more crowded this year but I think it was because it rained quiet a bit and it was warmer than the pools. Still not so crowded you couldn’t get a place though. LS

Thanks for the info Lovesun. Did you go to the Decapollis? Is it in Panama City, and worth seeing something different? It’s our first time there, so we’d appreciate your thoughts on that. Since you’re an experienced Panama traveller, where do you recommend for shopping? We’ve read in some reviews that the shopping is great and you can get some name brand/good quality shoes, clothes, etc. cheap. If that’s true, I’m going with some half empty suitcases so I can buy a few things - this isn’t Tab writing, it’s his wife! He’s not too keen on the shopping idea, but we’ll check it out at least once! As for the shuttle, do you book a return trip to bring you back to the hotel? Thanks again! Looking forward to your response . . . we leave in 5 days! GA

Yes, we went to the Decapolis. It is in the city. It was good but not as good as last year. Not completely all-inclusive because they only let you eat at the good restaurant for lunch. Great shopping in the city. Name brand is about half the price and not name brand is dirt cheap. I got my daughters son pants for 2.99. My husband hates the shopping but puts up with it for a while. You go up to the Anton ticket booth in the bus terminal to get your return ticket when you want to go back, just tell them you want the hotel. Remember 44lbs of luggage. Also keep in mind the the Albrook mall beside the bus terminal is cheaper than the Multicentro mall beside the hotel. Most of the stores take Visa and Mastercard. Hope this helps, Tabs wife. Feel free to ask anyother questions and have a great time.

Lovesun: I agree, I love Kontiki (especially the shrimp). I can’t wait to get back there in September (although we are having some heat here in Kentucky right now) and enjoy everything. I would love to hear more about your last trip and what you enjoyed most.

V.

We are a party of 8 adults that love the Mayan Riviera IPB resort {3 x’s} and are considering Panama for our vacation this winter. We have heard and read that Panama is beautiful and the Royal Decameron is the resort of choice. I hear it is 2 hours away from airport???. We don’t want to be disappointed by selecting the wrong location especially when we all loved the IPB resort in the Mayan. It will be hard to get as equal too or better than IPB for the same money.
Any insight from some one who has travelled to both areas would be awesome and very helpful.
Thanks
Round Lake Rebel

[quote author=ballen board=Panama thread=1152977322 post=1154703301]We are a party of 8 adults that love the Mayan Riviera IPB resort {3 x’s} and are considering Panama for our vacation this winter. We have heard and read that Panama is beautiful and the Royal Decameron is the resort of choice. I hear it is 2 hours away from airport???. We don’t want to be disappointed by selecting the wrong location especially when we all loved the IPB resort in the Mayan. It will be hard to get as equal too or better than IPB for the same money.
Any insight from some one who has travelled to both areas would be awesome and very helpful.
Thanks
Round Lake Rebel[/quote]

They are different altogether. The Ocean is tidal at the Decameron and thats the biggest diff…other than the fact you are much further south.
Panama really has no comparison…it is a resort that is worth the trip just to say you did it. It really is a spectacular and gorgeous site with something for everyone.
You wont be sorry…
http://community.webshots.com/user/dayel1956