Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Royal Decameron Playa Blanca

We are going on June 22, 2006 to stay for one week at this resort.

I planned on buying a telephone credit card to use to call home to the United States. Has anyone tried this at this resort? Or is there some other way to call home???

I have aging parents and need to call and check up on them.

Thanks,
Debbie

I usually just use my AT&T calling card but it only give me good rates when I am calling my home number. So then I just started having my family call me at a designated time either from my home phone or using my calling card from their phones (I have a cheaper rate than they do to Panama.). The only thing is that the resort charges you $3 for every phone call you make even if you use a telephone card. I would have loved to use my cellular but did not get service in Panama.

V.

Hi debrhplace: Before we travelled to the decameron, I called my cell phone service provider(Rogers AT&T), and they told me I would receive service while in Panama. They gave me the cost of long distance calls back to our home in Alberta, and also the cost of text messaging. We found that we could text daily for 50 cents a message sent.(The sender pays; to receive is no cost). Then we telephoned only if necessary. Also you can get an internet card at the hotel which will allow you to chat on-line. You just set up a time when you and the family at home could go on-line and chat without wasting too many minutes. We found that the combination worked well to keep us updated and was quite inexpensive. I know from experience in Mexico, that a short longdistance call from a local payphone ended up costing me well over $20. However, in Panama city, across from the Radisson Decapolis hotel, there is a mall called El Centro or something like that. on the third floor is a phone service store, which we used to call home for only 20 cents per minute. There used to be free shuttle service from the decameron to the decapolis on certain days last year. LS.

Does anyone know if the Decameron has safes in the rooms? And is it wise to tip the maids on a daily basis?

We are leaving on June 22nd and will probably post questions as I think of them!

Thanks,
Debbie :sunglasses:

Yes there are safes in the room at a cost.

Don’t know if I would word it as being wise to tip the maids on a daily basis…we always do, no matter where we go. I know some people tip at the end of their stay, but you might not always get the same maid.

Bebbie

I usually leave a little something every day or two but the day we leave, we make sure we leave a good tip. I found on my trips to Decameron, usually I had the same maid most of my stay.

V.

There is also an ice cream place a few minutes down the beach that supposedly has cell phones you can use for a decent rate. We didn’t try it though. Check out the internet in Lobby 2, it seems faster than lobby 1.
We just got back on the 21st and found tipping to be very rare. We felt like we were committing some sort of social faux pas every time we tipped a bartender or restaurant worker. We left a couple bucks a day for the maid. I have no idea what the expected rate is. Our room was always clean, but no fancy stuff like swan towels (which is ok, because i would have felt guilty ruining the fancy towel art).
There are safes in the room, you rent the lock for $2.00 a day.
The mall across the street from the Decapolis is called Multicentro (I think).

Have a great holiday and don’t forget the sunscreen!

Would you happen to remember the name of this place so that I can check it out? We are leaving next week on June 22.

Thanks ;D

When we were there in january we phoned home from a small grocery store up the street towards the village. We paid 5 dollars U.S. for a calling card that contained 130 minutes. Great deal! You can use the card at all pay phones. There was one in front of the grocery store and also several on the main road in Penomene. We are planning to go back this coming winter and bringing the same card to call home again.

Did you get a good deal to go on the 22nd?

I am not sure if it was the best deal but it cost approximately $2,600.00 for airfare on Continental airlines, 7 day all-inclusive, insurance and shuttle to and from airport for my husband & my self.

Is this a good or bad deal in Canada? It seems lately that all travel is getting way too expensive.

Thanks for the information. I will certainly check out the calling card for $5 to call back home.

I am not sure what the usual price is but there is a special right now for a little under $600 pp. but that is to leave in a couple of days. I was in shock when I saw the price…maybe there’s a catch…

For the next couple of weeks or so the prices are quite low. Tempting, but unfortunately we have some commitments. :’(

Bebbie

[quote author=debrhplace board=Panama thread=1148061836 post=1150208408]I am not sure if it was the best deal but it cost approximately $2,600.00 for airfare on Continental airlines, 7 day all-inclusive, insurance and shuttle to and from airport for my husband & my self.

Is this a good or bad deal in Canada? It seems lately that all travel is getting way too expensive.[/quote]

My wife and I paid about $700 each or $1400 total for airfare, and full week at the Decameron in an August departure from Toronto Canada.