Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Royal Suites Turquesa Construction

We are heading to the Royal Suites in late March, but was wondering how the construction/expansion is going? Does anyone have an update? Thanks.

Chuck

Be finished in mid December, I saw it 2 weeks ago and it was coming along quite well

hey WUD,
i assume you mean they NEED to be finished til at least mid december because the rest of the resort is heaviliest booked for that time and the months ahead, like the colonial is completely booked til march and the huge bahia principe runs max numbers also due to the hotelchanges from the elegance which has not the space available to book more elegance clients to the colonial, to over there.
i am lately on the point where i say :
give me the review of a customer who had been there when the resort/hotel been open, then we have the real notice about conditions/facts.
we have actually a little bunch of hotels in the area who are supposed to be open before x-mas week 2008(o.k., i know for moon palace it is the 2nd year and they will fail the 2nd x-mas in a row) and they are booked fully for that time period,
i still have to wait for the first of them to be open and to read a customer’s review about that.
for a new property i would stay away from a booking at least for the first 3 months of an announced opening, and book it for then only on a top deal under 50% of the usual rate for that resort to make the risk worth the adventure.
Mike

I just got back yesterday from the RS. I’ll be submitting a review that’s a very mixed bag of good and bad.

As far as the construction is concerned, I don’t know when it’ll be finished but it won’t be anywhere near mid-December. Some of the buildings are just getting started and none are near paint and finishes.

I don’t know what the exact pace of building has been, so I won’t try to project if it’ll be done by late March. For your sake, I hope it is not. When those buildings are done, space on the RS section of the beach will be impossible to find without a very early towel toss.

Based upon an article in the news today ( see http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D94I86580&show_article=1&catnum=0 ), it is logical to assume that there has been a significant downturn in bookings at all resorts. If that assumption is correct, there is not much incentive for the resorts to push opening new rooms. The good news for those at the RS is there should continue to be adequate room on the section of beach reserved for RS guests.

Perhaps PC Mike can comment on whether or not they are seeing a downtrend in bookings as indicated by this article which focuses more on Cap Cana than it does on the AI’s.

I’m looking forward to your review since we will be there January 4. Not finished doesn’t bother me, but a room shortage would. I’d rather book the Palladium Palace now, than wait for a problem since I know this is high season. :-/

[quote=@funmuck]Based upon an article in the news today ( see http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D94I86580&show_article=1&catnum=0 ), it is logical to assume that there has been a significant downturn in bookings at all resorts. If that assumption is correct, there is not much incentive for the resorts to push opening new rooms. The good news for those at the RS is there should continue to be adequate room on the section of beach reserved for RS guests.

Perhaps PC Mike can comment on whether or not they are seeing a downtrend in bookings as indicated by this article which focuses more on Cap Cana than it does on the AI’s.[/quote]

You certainly cannot relate the situation at Cap Cana with resort bookings, these are all together to different animals.

Meanwhile resorts are continuing to be built and added to in the Punta Cana area.

Wud,

I understand and agree that the Cap Cana project is a totally different animal from the AI’s; however, is it not fair to ask the question whether or not the economic slowdown is having an affect on the AI’s? I would think that PC Mike is the perfect board member to answer this question.

The articles say nothing about AI’s in the Punta Cana area, while rates are quite =decent now, the cause is more likely economic conditions rather than the troubles at Cap Cana.

Mike will have more incite in this, I am sure.

It’s quite possible that current economic times might even help DR AI’s a little because they’re so darn affordable. People who used to go to other islands with bigger budgets might “downgrade” their next Caribbean vacation to this most affordable - and wonderful - option.

If I ran the DR Tourist Board, I’d be playing that message up big time.

I’ve heard that the new section is now scheduled to open May 1st.

We are booked for May 2009 so I have been looking for info just to pass the time. I have seen one travel website state May 1st. This was a while back. I have yet to see more than one say that. So who did you hear this from? Oh well it does not matter @ this point. I will go with hlywud statement, since he was just there.

My info came straight from the Asst GM of the Royal Suites. May 1st is the planned opening date. Whether they can stick to the plan or not is anyone’s guess.

If you are in one of the swim-up suites, you are perhaps closer to dining options than a lot of the existing RS rooms but you are prety far from the beach.

Yah I know we are further away, we stayed @ the other RS section before and figured we would try the new side. But thanks for the info.

Don’t get me wrong, the RS is very nice. I could live on frozen lemonade and Brugal Anejo…

Enjoy! Being a little further from the beach means you’ll be a bit closer to some pretty darn good dining.