Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Same Name?

[quote=@gambitt]

I’m thinking that beacuse our son, shares the same last name with his grandparents (my Mom & Dad) that Customs doesn’t ask due to the number of couples having children later in life?

Can anyone help support or discredit this idea?[/quote]

I’d have to agree with that statement Gambitt.

Besides, speaking as a grandparent myself, I know that even though our grandson is growing like a weed and getting older (he’s 4 1/2 now), time seems to have stood still for me and in fact I feel younger because my grandson keeps me so :wink:

Bet your parents look, act and feel a lot younger when they’re in the company of their grandson too! :slight_smile:

Yup, something special and magical about being a grandparent!

If I’d know how much fun it was going to be, and had I been given the choice, I would have opted to become a grandparent before I became a parent.

Grand Children are the reward for having put up with your own Children

…but you know the 1st time they don’t have the letter they will be asked to see something. ::slight_smile:

Even though nobody has asked for the letter yet … why would you not bring it “just in case”. Luckily, most travellers don’t need to use the insurance package that they wisely purchased either, but that shouldn’t stop them from purchasing it for their next trip. :slight_smile:

[quote=@gambitt]I’m thinking that because our son, shares the same last name with his grandparents (my Mom & Dad) that Customs doesn’t ask due to the number of couples having children later in life?

Can anyone help support or discredit this idea?[/quote]

I don’t know Gambitt, my kids have a different last name than mine and were subject to a custody order. I traveled to the DR with them twice while they were minors and I was never asked for anything. I had to obtain a certified copy of my original custody order before I could get their passports. I had that with me, the passports, a letter from their father acknowledging that he knew they were with me so I was ready for anything. They processed us a family when we arrived in the DR and no one batted an eye, same when we arrived home. My younger son was listed on my passport for the first couple of years and once when I went without them the agent asked me where he was and then waved me on.

Another issue is simple profiling. In all honestly it’s not that difficult for an adult who’s actually abducting a child to raise many, many red flags at the airport, right from the first moment they step on the property. Even rental car employees, cleaners, porters, etc. are given seminars on why it’s important to spot and report suspicious behavior.

A grandparent (or any other trusted guardian) who exhibits a long standing, easy going family vibe with the kids will rarely warrant a second glance from officials or airport workers/employees. The relationship is obvious, so it (usually) goes right under the radar.

I’ve traveled extensively with my young nephews and the only time I ever had to dig out my Letter of Consent (in Canada) was the one time I was having a little scrap with the kids in Vancouver Airport.