Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Sandal's varadaro?

were thinking of going to this resort during the first week of january to celebrate our 50 th birthdays…
right now the price seems very good i’ve the read the reviews…are there any other comments that can be shared?

how far is this resort from havana?
whats the weather like in early january?

thank you in advance

Weather in January can be iffy, you can get a great week or a few “cooler” days if a cold front moves through.
We are six time repeat guests and consider this resort a “home away from home”. it is a lovely property, well maintained grounds, pool areas and beach.
The food is very good, buffet is quite large and offers and excellent selection of hot/cold foods, fresh fruits, and a salad section in addition to the made to order cooking stations. The staff are simply the best. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

the resort is a couple of hours drive from Havana - some places offer trips with 3 days in Havana, then 4 days or 11 days in Varadero.
Sandals is a great place to celebrate your 50th, we have been there in January and never had a lot of problems with the weather, it has alwys been nicer than Ontario! LOL.
Like Gledge, we are repeat visitors and love the place. Go and enjoy!!!

We are both in our early 50’s and just spent 10 days at the Paradisus Varadero (loved it!). There were 4 people from England (60’s) at our resort who had just transferred from the Sandals Varadero because they were so disappointed, but they really liked the Paradisus.

My own experience with Sandals on another island was boring…boring…boring. But you would do well to read the reviews because tastes are very individual.

I realize it is a gross oversimplification, but the English seem to have a much greater problem with Sandals (and other resorts) in Cuba than any other people. I wonder if it is because they have such a long trip to get there and have to pay premium prices at any time of year compared to what we pay from Canada.
I checked on other review sites and the complaints are hot and heavy for all the Varadero resorts in the summer and fall when there are more English than Canadians, then in the high season (when you would actually expect more complaints) when the majority of guests are Canadians there seems to be fewer people complaining.
I don’t believe for one minute that Canadians are more complacent and put up with poor service without complaining; but I do think we try to equate value received for money paid. Maybe that’s the difference.
For the last two or three years Sandals has fallen to 4th or 5th in the TripAdvisor resort ratings during the summer and fall months, then recovered in the high season. I don’t follow all the ratings so I don’t know if this is true of all the resorts, but it does make some sense.

Anyway, that’s my two CUC’s worth!

I guess we must like “boring” as we have been to Hicacos six times and are planning a return visit. It is a quiet and relaxing place to reconnect with a significant other.
We spend most days on the beach or by the pool. We enjoy dining at a later hour so the “quality” of the evening shows for us is a non issue. After a quiet drink in the piano bar it’s back to the room.
We find the food here to be very good and the staff/service excellent.