Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Sandflies in Dominican Republic

Any of you experienced sandflies attack in Dominican Republic? How did you protect yourself? What area in Dominican Republic has sandflies?

ALL of the beach areas will have sandflies from time to time. Repellent with at least 25% DEET will do the trick. A good idea to avoid the beach at dusk and early morning when they will be the worst

bobk

They can also be bad for a short period (say 30 minutes) after a rainfall, when the sand is still wet.
I’m not sure what Lifestyles have done, but for some reason we didn’t “see” many on that property. I use the term “see” lightly, because you don’t “see” them, just the evidence they leave behind.
The deet works for some people, but not all. For my wife, it might as well be water. It does keep the mozzies away though.

edit: BTW, this seems to be a general travel question about the Dominican Republic and likely would be better in that forum.

In our 14 trips to the D.R., the area/resort that we found to be the worst for the “sandfleas” is Bahia Principe Rio San Juan. Our solution to the problem …make sure that you rinse the sand off your legs/ankles before leaving the beach area & returning to your room. And DO NOT set your ‘sandy’ beach bag on your bed…the little “no see’ums” will jump from beach bag to bed & you may end up with welts else where !
Deet works, & I’ve had good luck with the ‘Skin So Soft’ product by Avon.

When I had a contact with sandflies I did not know what it its at first and for me the best solution was to go away from the beach after 6 pm and go hide in my hotel room until dinner time. I would see that sometimes in some resorts they would spray area with airplane to keep little buggers under control.

[quote=@mra]And DO NOT set your ‘sandy’ beach bag on your bed…the little “no see’ums” will jump from beach bag to bed & you may end up with welts else where !
[/quote]

So could “no see’ums” live in the room on the bed and some tourists that come after might get bites? Could be mistaken for people that do not know as bed bugs!?

I am not sure how long the “no see-ums” would live on the bed…maybe 24 hrs. But once bedding is changed & laundered, there should be no other problems.

I think everybody smell or blood is difference because I get eaten alive. My wife never does I’ve tried everything but nothing works just learn to live with all those little bites

[quote=@wolfy167]I think everybody smell or blood is difference because I get eaten alive. My wife never does I’ve tried everything but nothing works just learn to live with all those little bites
[/quote]

I guess you are right some people are more “sweet” while others are not so “sweet” for those little sandflies but sometimes it can be very serious if you get so many bites and some people might react differently on those bites as well!

I have come home with oozing welts on my lower legs from sand flea bites, yet hubby never gets bitten. One time it was so bad I was worried about getting cellulitis. I try to avoid walking on the sand in my bare feet, never sit with my feet in the sand (my feet are always up on my lounger or my sandals are on. It also helps to stay away from the beach area after dusk.
I do a close inspection of my feet and legs daily when I am finished on the beach and never travel without anti-itch cream, polysporin and bandaids!
Life isn’t always easy when you are one of the “sweet” ones…
Tired Nurse

New studies show that it is not actually about sweet blood but about our smell etc … anyone interested can read more on ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/people-dont-bitten-mosquitoes-why-170500498.html