Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

School Supplies in Cayo Santa Maria and Luggage?

;D We’re planning our 4th trip to Cuba for August 09, can’t wait :sunglasses:

I’ve previously been to Cayo Coco and Guillermo, on all 3 occasions, we have taken pencils, pens and toothbrushes with us for the children to hand over to hotel workers and the reps from the colourful cuba tour.

I am now a school teacher and would like to up my donations on a larger scale, and help out in any way possible. Is there a drop off point in Santa Clara/Cayo Santa Maria (staying at the melia las dunas)? What sort of stuff do they need? Already decided on pens and pencils, paper and basic clothing, any other suggestions?

I know some tour ops offer a charity luggage allocation. We’re flying with Thomas Cook, we have previously traveled with First choice and got an unlimited amount of luggage for an orphanage. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Also, are there any children’s hospices or orphanages that would take donations?

Sorry to bombard with questions, but I like to help out when away…

Also, in the past, we have left shampoo and toiletry gifts for the hotel staff along with tips. Does anyone have any ideas for other more original gifts?

Cayo Santa Maria is 40 km from the nearest town (Caibarien), so if you want to bring things for someone other than resort workers you will likely need to take a cab or rent a car to get it there. As far as what to bring…I think kids clothing & shoes are always appreciated. School supplies, fine but paper is heavy to carry! Good luck.

Not to cause too much Drama, Queenie, but we tried to deliver a NJT bag from the Melia Cayo Santa Maria in March 2007 and had a very difficult time. We did not want to take any trips (which would have been the easiest way to get off the island) and when we tried to hire the only taxi, the day we had it reserved the Hotel Managers wife needed it for her business and we were offered the Managers car another day (which did not happen). The rest of the story is complicated and not particularly germane but my caveat would be that it could be difficult for you to deliver your parcels off the island. In our single experience, the remoteness of the island makes it difficult to reach the mainland. That is not to say you should not try, only to alert you to the fact that it is not as easy as it would be in say Varadero or Holguin. Otherwise you will enjoy the beach and the Las Dunas looked to be a very nice resort (we managed to sneak a walk through).

Hi :slight_smile:

Thank you for your replies :slight_smile:

I’m considering handing over the gifts to the maids for their children, or seeing if I can catch anyone from the tours (we’ll have been there 4 times, so we’ve been on all the tours that they’re offering) or even if any tourists are going on the tours and forgot theirs.

I’ll find some way of getting the gifts to the locals :slight_smile:

Thanks again :slight_smile:
DQ
x

[quote=@dramaqueen86]…seeing if I can catch anyone from the tours (we’ll have been there 4 times, so we’ve been on all the tours that they’re offering) or even if any tourists are going on the tours and forgot theirs. [/quote]I believe there is a “local” tour that takes in Caibarien, so that would be a possibility…and also a tour you haven’t taken…just a thought.

Fab, thanks :slight_smile: will defo give it a try :slight_smile: