Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Should moderators

be allowed to enter Debbie’s forum contests or for that matter even create threads?

[quote=@busman7]be allowed to enter Debbie’s forum contests or for that matter even create threads?
[/quote]

I have mixed feelings.

I have no problem with a mod starting a thread that may be a “public service” type announcement. Example would be bringing a news item or change of rules to the members’ attention by providing a link to an article. I do have a problem with a mod starting a thread just to stir controversy in the forum. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding the role/purpose of a moderator? I see a mod being there to make sure the rules are followed by everyone and that the flow of a forum is maintained.

Not sure how I feel about running contests. To me a good travel forum is all about quality answers to questions, not quantity of posts or threads, especially if they are a bit mundane or something that has been discussed ad nausem. Is the sole purpose of the contest to increase traffic to the forum? -or to provide entertainment value?

Most contests are not open to people involved in the running of a company or enterprise. I see mods as being involved in this, so I don’t think they should be participating. Just my ever so humble opinion.

I too have some mixed feelings, quite honestly. You have both got me thinking about this. I don’t think I would want to try too hard to win a contest, because I would personally worry that it might appear like I would have some sort of advantage. I don’t think I would, really, but I would want to avoid doing something that didn’t look right.

As far as a moderator starting a topic, I agree, that starting a topic to stir controversy is something a moderator should avoid. But then that idea should apply to all members. I think that it is well worthwhile to ask this question, though. I think that any question that is worthy of discussion should be able to be asked.

And, yes, as I have said before, the moderator’s main role should be to make sure that the discussion keeps going and is constructive. The enforcement of rules shouldn’t be an end in itself, so much as a means to ensure that the purpose of the forum is maintained - that is to promote good discussions about various topics of relevance to the forum members.

It is good to have an active forum, as the more people who participate, the more we may all come to understand each others points of view.

I think unpaid, volunteer moderators should be treated the same as any member. Their job description is very simple/straightforward so why should they be treated differently.

Some of them have lots of very solid Cuban experience, it would be a shame for them not to participate the same as everyone else.

Cheers,
Terry

[quote=@busman7]be allowed to enter Debbie’s forum contests or for that matter even create threads?
[/quote]I have mixed feelings on this as well… but I’m leaning to “Why not”? ::slight_smile:

However… the one thing that the moderators “should” do… is consider putting this thread in the “Off Topic” Corner!

(rofl) :smiley: :-X

[quote=@cheersterry]I think unpaid, volunteer moderators should be treated the same as any member. Their job description is very simple/straightforward so why should they be treated differently.

Some of them have lots of very solid Cuban experience, it would be a shame for them not to participate the same as everyone else.

Cheers,
Terry[/quote]However moderators are not “the same as any member” they have the power to alter/delete posts of those they disagree with plus they can intimidate the faint of heart, thus changing the point of a thread!

Those with experience (Debbie’s is a forum about the Caribbean & general travel advise, not just  Cuba) should us it to keep a thread issuing correct advise and on topic adding relevant info where necessary.

I disagree with the idea of having “contests” on this forum. Once you open the door… advertisements lurk…
One of the reasons I like this forum is exactly because of the absence of partisan publicity.

[quote=@cubajack]I too have some mixed feelings, quite honestly. You have both got me thinking about this. I don’t think I would want to try too hard to win a contest, because I would personally worry that it might appear like I would have some sort of advantage. I don’t think I would, really, but I would want to avoid doing something that didn’t look right.

As far as a moderator starting a topic, I agree, that starting a topic to stir controversy is something a moderator should avoid. But then that idea should apply to all members. I think that it is well worthwhile to ask this question, though. I think that any question that is worthy of discussion should be able to be asked.

And, yes, as I have said before, the moderator’s main role should be to make sure that the discussion keeps going and is constructive. The enforcement of rules shouldn’t be an end in itself, so much as a means to ensure that the purpose of the forum is maintained - that is to promote good discussions about various topics of relevance to the forum members.

It is good to have an active forum, as the more people who participate, the more we may all come to understand each others points of view.
[/quote]Well said CJ my thoughts exactly. Mods taking part in contests leads to the perception of an unfair advantage even if none exists.

Sure starting a thread solely to stir up controversy should be avoided by everyone, however mods should have  higher standard & govern themselves accordingly.

[quote=@zendudette]I disagree with the idea of having “contests” on this forum. Once you open the door… advertisements lurk…
One of the reasons I like this forum is exactly because of the absence of partisan publicity.[/quote]Agree entirely, Zendudette. It opens up another can of worms…

Cheers,
Terry

[quote=@gardengal][quote=@busman7]be allowed to enter Debbie’s forum contests or for that matter even create threads?
[/quote]I have mixed feelings on this as well… but I’m leaning to “Why not”? ::slight_smile:

However… the one thing that the moderators “should” do… is consider putting this thread in the “Off Topic” Corner!

(rofl) :smiley: :-X[/quote]I agree it should be moved to off-topic, only realized that once I had clicked the create post icon when it was too late to change.

Gardengal as some of us are getting along in years it would be appreciated if you used the regular sized font rather than the small. Makes it easier for old codgers to see.  P-)

[quote=@cheersterry]I think unpaid, volunteer moderators should be treated the same as any member. Their job description is very simple/straightforward so why should they be treated differently.

Cheers,
Terry[/quote]

Exactly! Moderators here are members as well and they are volunteers on the forum so they are not paid and as they put more work into this forum than other members it would be shame that they do not participate in the contest.

[quote=@zendudette]I disagree with the idea of having “contests” on this forum. Once you open the door… advertisements lurk…
One of the reasons I like this forum is exactly because of the absence of partisan publicity.[/quote]I believe Zee’s reason for the contest is to raise participation in the forum by enticing the lurkers to become involved! I see nothing wrong with that, really don’t see the connection to spam advertising ???

[quote=@busman7][/quote]You are right, of course.
I did that in another thread… but as you said… getting along in years… yada, yada… I forgot!

:wink:

[quote=@yvrck]
Not sure how I feel about running contests. To me a good travel forum is all about quality answers to questions, not quantity of posts or threads, especially if they are a bit mundane or something that has been discussed ad nausem. Is the sole purpose of the contest to increase traffic to the forum? -or to provide entertainment value[/quote]

For every forum it is nice to have more members! For example we had yesterday a new member asking questions about traveling to Cuba and charging phone and what money should have US$ or CND$ and we on the forum answered very fast. So if we have more members we as community can help each others much faster. So me as admin I want to give back something to the community as well to attract more members so that we have our community bigger and stronger. If you or any other members have ideas about creating different contest please let me know in PM as I am glad to hear new ideas. Maybe next contest we can make to award member who has the best quality post in the month of April? As community we can have vote in poll and decide who is that member.

Yes !~!*

[quote=@admin][quote=@cheersterry]I think unpaid, volunteer moderators should be treated the same as any member. Their job description is very simple/straightforward so why should they be treated differently.

Cheers,
Terry[/quote]Exactly! Moderators here are members as well and they are volunteers on the forum so they are not paid and as they put more work into this forum than other members it would be shame that they do not participate in the contest.
[/quote]Hmmm of all the mods only one has started new threads today and that mod has started THREE (3) Hmmmmm![quote=@admin][quote=@cheersterry][/quote][/quote]

I think you’re looking at this a little too seriously, CubaJack.

At this particular point in time this is a fairly quiet, lightweight forum that isn’t addressing any big issues or breaking any new ground.

For anyone to try and put part-time, unpaid, volunteer Moderators on some kind of an Ivory Tower pedestal and worrying that they have the magical power to “control and manipulate” the discussion for their own nefarious purposes is in my opinion paranoid/silly and taking this forum WAY too seriously.

Everyone should just tranquilo and try to have a little fun while learning a few new facts about a country that is changing so rapidly that up-to-date info and recent experiences are crucial for anyone researching the possibility of visiting - and also for repeat visitors to understand the new changes that they’re seeing.

Have another cerveza! :sunglasses:

Cheers,
Terry

I have never been an ivory tower kind of guy. I think the main idea here should be to have some fun and enjoy the discussions.

:slight_smile:

[quote=@cubajack]I have never been an ivory tower kind of guy. I think the main idea here should be to have some fun and enjoy the discussions.

:)[/quote]Bullseye.

Cheers,
Terry

Hola

Make some new posts and have some fun! As a Mod here on Debbie’s, I for one shall promise that if I ever win something on Debbie’s forum I shall not accept it and hand it off to the second winner up. Not that I ever win anything as I am never that Lucky! If I want a CD I can go out and purchase a CD or better yet save some cash and head back to Cuba and listen to all the Cuban music I want in a week.

It does look like a fun CD so good luck to everyone on the forum. Who ever wins it will have to post a song or two for us all to hear.

Enjoy the contest!

Freedom Ryder 8-)…