Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Sleep Apnea

My hubby has recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea and is now using a CPAP machine while he sleeps. We need to take this with us when we leave next week and I wonder if we should be packing it in our luggage or carry-on. It’s not very heavy so carrying it with us is not a problem. Will we encounter any problems at the airport or in the metal detector? ::slight_smile:

Traveling with your CPAP can sometimes be a hassle. However, with proper preparation, it can be very easy. If you are flying with your CPAP, you can bring your CPAP machine on the airplane with you and it will not count as one of your carry-on items. Never check your CPAP machine because through normal luggage handling procedures it can easily be broken. You may want to call ahead and find out your airline’s procedures for carrying your CPAP machine on the airplane to prevent any delays through security. We have learned that many airlines will not let you use your CPAP machine during the flight because it is not a life-sustaining device. You may want to contact your airline to see if you can make special arrangements.

From Air Transat website

A CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine will be accepted as a carry-on if it fits the standard carry-on size of 23 x 40 x 51 cm (9 x 16 x 20 in). Due to the excess weight of these machines, we ask that you limit your other carry-on to the bare minimum that is required for your personal needs during flight.

Note: The distilled water used by this device is exempted from the liquid restrictions of carry-on baggage. We recommend that passengers carry supporting documentation from their doctor to facilitate pre-board screening.

Most medical devises, however not all, are allowed in your carry-on. It would probably be in your best interest to get in contact with the airline just to be sure. I went into several of these airline web pages and they are quite vague about it but do state that many medical devises are allowed

That’s good information, thanks. We are flying with Air Transat so we will carry it on with us, I would hate for it to get lost or damaged, it was very expensive, and hubby needs it. I forgot completely about the distilled water, I think I will pack some small bottles in our checked luggage as the only documentation we have is the receipt. I hope this won’t be a problem.

marnie this link may be of some help to you…

http://www.airtransat.ca/en/4_2_5.asp

You may also want to avoid putting your machine thru the ex-ray that your carry on goes thru, I don’t know much about those machines, but if they contain any kind of computer chip it could harm it. I carry all my diabetic items including my insulin pens thru the walkway with me. I have read this on a lifestyle web page on travel tips.

That shouldn’t be an issue. Digital cameras, including the memory go through with no problem. I had concerns about this when I got my first digital camera and asked the manufacturer. My laptop has also been through the x-ray. The only issue I can see is that it is going to look ‘unusual’ to the inspector, so he will likely want to have a peek. ::slight_smile:

Hi Marnie

I also use a CPAP machine and I flew AirTransat out of Edmonton and they let me bring it on the plane as an extra carry on with no problem. I did call the airline prior to the flight for clearance and called the airport about clearing security. I had no problem at all.

Just a note. Here in Edmonton the air is very dry, and the humidifier is absolutely necessary, however, in Punta Cana with the humid air, there is no need for distilled water. My machine has a humidifier unit that detaches, and I left it at home, along with the distilled water. It also med the unit smaller and easier to pack.

I travel with one every year, and it goes with me as a carry on, but does not count as part of your carry on allowance. I use the purified water at the resort, with the high humidity, you don’t use much, then I clean the reservoir with vinegar when I get home. No issues, pretty much what was said below.

Chuck

Hi guys, I did some research and there is this drug that is called dronabinol, and it is based on a synthetic version of Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) — the main psychoactive compound responsible for the “high” in cannabis use for sleep apnea. Just like this Like this article from [blimburnseeds] . Cbd and thc are also new to me and I don’t even smoke. Alternatively, they’ve also found new ways to infuse cannabis on food and beverages. If this is true I can’t find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy. Any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Edit: removed links to cannabis sales site

there are a lot of things people don’t know about sleep apnea. my wife suffers from it and i’ve done a lot of research. there are many things which can help like injectable steroids and indeed including THC too. but anyway, in regards to the OPs question - yes, you can go with it, at least my wife did.

edit: removed spam link (bfc)