Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Smokers new tsa / lighter rules

Just read this on the TSA page:

NO MATCHES OR LIGHTERS OF ANY KIND ARE PERMITTED IN CHECKED BAGGAGE.

ONLY the following types of lighters (LIMIT 2) and matches (LIMIT 4 books) are allowed in CARRY-ON BAGGAGE, or ON YOUR PERSON:

Lighters fueled with liquefied gas (example, Bic™ lighters)
Lighters fueled with absorbed liquid (example, Zippo™ lighters)
Safety matches

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT SOME MANUFACTURERS MAKE BOTH PROHIBITED AND PERMITTED LIGHTERS. IF YOU ARE IN DOUBT WHETHER OR NOT YOUR LIGHTER OR MATCHES WILL PASS CHECKPOINT INSPECTION, WE RECOMMEND YOU LEAVE THE ITEM BEHIND, AND NOT INCLUDE IT IN YOUR TRAVEL PLANS.

this is the link to that page:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_multi_image_with_table_0099.xml

Sorry but as I smoker I thought you should be aware,
all the best,
baltobabe/mt

baltobabe,

How does what you say mesh with this:

www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=44&content=0900051980104b15

It says NO LIGHTERS of any kind past security after April 14, 2005; and that would mean in Carry-on Baggage also.

As a non-smoker it doesn’t bother me BUT this site is about information.

we returned from bpsj on feb 12. when i emptied my pockets at security in POP they took my bic lighter and pointed to a sign on the wall which showed a lighter with a red line through it. don’t really know if this is standard procedure or if he needed a light.

Just read this post and the attached sites>So how am I supposed to light up in DR if I cannot take a lighter?Just wondering what brought all this on?

Read carefully, some lighters are permitted.
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_multi_image_with_table_0099.xml
NO MATCHES OR LIGHTERS OF ANY KIND ARE PERMITTED IN CHECKED BAGGAGE.

ONLY the following types of lighters (LIMIT 2) and matches (LIMIT 4 books) are allowed in CARRY-ON BAGGAGE, or ON YOUR PERSON:

* Lighters fueled with liquefied gas (example, Bic™ lighters)
* Lighters fueled with absorbed liquid (example, Zippo™ lighters)
* Safety matches

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_8_23_2004.pdf

Now if they take your lighter in the DR, guess what they sell them in the duty free. Now I had them take my expensive cigar cutter (guillotine), 18 kt gold plated at Pearson, now this pissed me off, what was I going to use it as a weapon for, circumsize the pilot. ;D

The TSA site shows them as allowable so different rules are being applied.

Wud thanks for clearing that up for me! That is my worst nightmare, having the cigarette and not being able to light up!

Hey I feel you pain on the cigar cutter! I love the aroma of a good cigar! That is one of my favorite opening lines! OOpps didn’t mean to give away my secret! hehehe!

all the best,
baltobabe/mt

At one point on the beach in Cabarete, my husband had wandered off with both lighters. As I would looking through my bag in a vain search one of the fenders who sells food handed me a box of matches. I was a little sceptical but I managed to get my cigarette lit with only two matches.

Personally, I think this is all a conspiracy to get us to buy lighters at our destination… ;D.

Rose

baltobabe,

I think your nightmare is back - unless you like matches or purchasing a lighter on arrival:

See article below.

Of course this only (for now anyway) applies to US airports after April 14.

Gregg, the above link takes me to a sign in screen. Is there another way to view the article or do I really need to sign in.

Thanks for looking out for me! Luckily I am traveling April 8-15th so I guess on the way home is when I will really feel any impact!

all the best,
baltobabe/ mt

[b]I’ll cut and paste the article because it’s not that large and they make it hard to respect their copyright.

Gregg
Mod.[/b]

From www.travelweekly.com

TSA to ban lighters in airports, on planes beginning April 14 (03/01/2005)

WASHINGTON – The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), implementing and expanding upon a new ban mandated by law, said all lighters will be prohibited beyond airport security and on board aircraft as of April 14.

The ban applies not only to travelers, but also to stores beyond the security checkpoint.

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 included a provision that required the TSA to add butane lighters to its prohibited items list. But the TSA said it decided to ban all lighters “after carefully evaluating the security threat, Congressional intent and operational considerations.”

When the TSA says all, it means all: the ban, for example, includes butane, absorbed-fuel (Zippo-type), electric or battery-powered and novelty lighters.

Travelers can’t put lighters in checked baggage either, because the Department of Transportation classifies lighters as hazardous materials. So someone might be able to make a buck selling lighters to cigarette-smokers once they exit the secure area at their destination.

To contact the reporter who wrote this article, send e-mail to Andrew Compart at acompart@travelweekly.com.

All I can say is "OH MY GOD!" What next! I guess as a smoker who has not intention of quitting this really upsets me! Now before anyone jumps on me about this let me say I am very considerate of where and when I light up. But this is going too far!

Ok now that I got that out! It is NOT the end of my world as I know it! There are matches! And I think we are allowed 4 packs in our carry on. And I will now put a few extra dollars away for the lighter that I will be buying either at the airport or the resort and leaving it at the resort.

Hey here is a new idea for resorts. Like the lending library for books. The Lighter Library for smokers who are not allowed to carry them aboard!

Hey guys I am trying to make lemonaide out of this lemon!

all the best,
baltobabe/mt

And Gregg THANK YOU so very much for printing it out like that! I do appreciate all your efforts!

bb/mt

[quote author=Gregg link=board=general&thread=1109694069&start=9#0 date=1109769038]From www.travelweekly.com

TSA to ban lighters in airports, on planes beginning April 14 (03/01/2005)

WASHINGTON – The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), implementing and expanding upon a new ban mandated by law, said all lighters will be prohibited beyond airport security and on board aircraft as of April 14.

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 included a provision that required the TSA to add butane lighters to its prohibited items list. But the TSA said it decided to ban all lighters "after carefully evaluating the security threat, Congressional intent and operational considerations."

When the TSA says all, it means all: the ban, for example, includes butane, absorbed-fuel (Zippo-type), electric or battery-powered and novelty lighters.
[/quote]

This is interesting. Just to get a “bit off topic here”, I wonder why it’s only lighters, my curling iron is butane, and that’s a heck of a lot more fuel in one cell than a whole bunch of little lighters. Will they be next, I wonder. Just a thought.

Is this Lighter Ban in the US,or is it a Canadian thing as well?
I love The Lighter Lending Library idea…too funny.
We, in Ontario, have had to live with smoking rules for a while now…no smoking in restaurants, bars, malls, and one must be 9 metres from a door .
Makes one truly loyal to old Nic-o-tine to stand outside in -30 degree weather.
The DR has always been a smokers paradise to me…but not being able to light up?
It would be another good opening line, though…
" Can you torch me up?"

Caroline,

From earlier in the thread:

The TSA is a US governmental body (Transportation Safety Administration) and can only make reglations for US airports and airspace.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/english/travel_voyage/list.htm

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1012.xml

The first address is for the canadian travel agency and the second is for the US. Both ban Butane so the curling iron is not allowed.

I’ve heard 150 proof rum has been disallowed because of its high alcohol content. True? :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

One little lighter likely isn’t a problem but if each bag has one or two it adds up.

[quote author=ChaChaGirl link=board=general&thread=1109694069&start=14#0 date=1109771725]The first address is for the canadian travel agency and the second is for the US…

I’ve heard 150 proof rum has been disallowed because of its high alcohol content. True? :frowning: :frowning: :([/quote]I chuckled when I thought the Canadian Government was going into the travel agency business - it is actually the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority.

There have been reports of 151 being confiscated from carry on but not AFAIK from checked baggage. Personally I think it has more to do with needing rum for that night’s party than security (LOL).

OMG you are right Gregg - Don’t even joke about the Feds in the travel agency business. I did mean to say Canadian Air Transport Security Authority.

Cha