Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Snorkelling around Uvero Alto

Hi,

Were staying in the Punta Cana region next April and I was wondering what the snorkeling conditions are like around the Sirenis Tropical Suites? Is there a reef nearby and if so is it within a reasonable swimming distance from the beach? Also,should we expect to see many fish?

???

Well, there is a reef. A big one. But the surf there would put any thoughts of snorkeling out of my mind. I think most of the organized snorkel/scuba trips take you over to the south coast. It’s not far at that end of the island.

the south coast would be a bit far for a snorkel trip,
most catamaran’s run in the bavaro area, center PC.
at the very most resorts the first problem with swimming out to the reef is the one of boat traffic, that’s why the resorts have marked swimming areas and it is prohibited to swim outside of them, and the most important, it is highly dangerous due to boattraffic. the small backhead of a swimmer or snorkeler is difficult to spot for a speedboat captain.
like Bob said, in the uvero alto area a often tough surf is an additional hindering reason.
happy travel
Mike

We’ve stayed at Sirenis four or five times now. We’ve not done the scuba or snorkeling trips, but we have talked to people that took them. My recollection is that it was about an hour and a half drive, each way, but the participants felt it was worthwhile. Of course, that was scuba, but …

[quote=@mikefisher]the south coast would be a bit far for a snorkel trip,
most catamaran’s run in the bavaro area, center PC.
at the very most resorts the first problem with swimming out to the reef is the one of boat traffic, that’s why the resorts have marked swimming areas and it is prohibited to swim outside of them, and the most important, it is highly dangerous due to boattraffic. the small backhead of a swimmer or snorkeler is difficult to spot for a speedboat captain.
like Bob said, in the uvero alto area a often tough surf is an additional hindering reason.
happy travel
Mike[/quote]

Is it that rough? Can you still swim around snorkeling safely between the reef and the Hotel beach Mike?

I find that when the water is a bit rougher it stirs up the sand a bit and clouds the water rendering snorkeling way more difficult. When I stayed at the neighbouring resort to the south I didn’t even strap on the gear because of the waves. You could play in the water and I had a great deal of fun trying to fight the waves (which weren’t overly big nor unsafe but were strong) but it wasn’t conducive to snorkeling. I spent a week there and then went for a week to the south coast so saved the snorkeling for there. If you have the gear and want to give it a try it may be fun, but do watch for the boat traffic lanes.

While maybe not entirely representative of the conditions at Sirenis, I have many shots of the water at Dreams Punta Cana in an album you can take a look at. A couple of them show various conditions depending on the day and time of the day, like these:

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2933558340064234328Txxlry][/URL]

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2305243070064234328BpNmKs][/URL]

It may not be the same at Sirenis though…

Kaki

[quote=@kaki]I find that when the water is a bit rougher it stirs up the sand a bit and clouds the water rendering snorkeling way more difficult. When I stayed at the neighbouring resort to the south I didn’t even strap on the gear because of the waves. You could play in the water and I had a great deal of fun trying to fight the waves (which weren’t overly big nor unsafe but were strong) but it wasn’t conducive to snorkeling. I spent a week there and then went for a week to the south coast so saved the snorkeling for there. If you have the gear and want to give it a try it may be fun, but do watch for the boat traffic lanes.

While maybe not entirely representative of the conditions at Sirenis, I have many shots of the water at Dreams Punta Cana in an album you can take a look at. A couple of them show various conditions depending on the day and time of the day, like these:

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2933558340064234328Txxlry][/URL]

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2305243070064234328BpNmKs][/URL]

It may not be the same at Sirenis though…

Kaki[/quote]

If only every coast were like that second photo ! :wink:

Do you have a link to your holiday snaps please?

If you click on Kaki’s pictures they are hyperlinked and will take you direct to her albums.

Wud

[quote=@hlywud]If you click on Kaki’s pictures they are hyperlinked and will take you direct to her albums.

Wud[/quote]

Just having a look now.

Thanks.

There are several photos of the water taken at Sirenis on my website at www.bobfromcanada.com
The line of surf offshore is the reef and is no spot you would want to be snorkeling.

Bob,
you are right with the 90 minutes one way drive, that’s the distance for tours to the south coast.
nice foto collection Kaki
Mike

[quote=@mikefisher]nice foto collection Kaki
Mike[/quote]

Thanks Mike! That means a lot to me!

Kaki