Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Snorkelling cayo largo

Does anyone have info, suggestions, advice about snorkelling around Sol Cayo Largo? Last time, we did not take our gear, and are thinking of doing so this time. Thanks for any ideas. :sunglasses:

[quote=@sunnysidesup]Does anyone have info, suggestions, advice about snorkelling around Sol Cayo Largo? Last time, we did not take our gear, and are thinking of doing so this time. Thanks for any ideas. 8-)[/quote]Probably the best off the beach snorkelling is at Punta Mal Tiempo…the point where the south facing beach meets the west facing beaches…the reef is close to shore there, but watch out for currents when the tide is going out. If you are lucky and the water is calm in front of the hotels, there is pretty good snorkelling in front of Villa Lindemar, and patches here and there including in front of Sol. If you opt to take the Catamaran tour that includes snorkelling, you will find it pretty good…they take you out to the reef near the small islands you can see straight out from Playa Sirena and Playa Paraiso. If you are unfortunate and the water is rough, you can always find something to see on the calm side of the sand spit at the end of Playa Sirena…usually some star fish in the shallow water, and other fish in the deep pool. Happy snorkelling!

:slight_smile: eeeefarm - I’m still amazed that you could snorkel at Punta Mal Tiempo. In all our visits to CL, we have never seen it calm enough for us to go in and do so (or maybe we’re just not brave enough? ;)).

You sure got some great photos of your experience. :-*

[quote=@shirleyujest] :slight_smile: eeeefarm - I’m still amazed that you could snorkel at Punta Mal Tiempo. In all our visits to CL, we have never seen it calm enough for us to go in and do so (or maybe we’re just not brave enough? ;)).

You sure got some great photos of your experience. :-*

[/quote]The snorkelling photos I posted were pretty much from my catamaran excursion…there was certainly more to see out there…but I’ve taken quite a few pictures before at Punta Mal Tiempo. This yellowtail was taken there…

and this barracuda was just hanging around in front of Villa Lindemar on my 2005 trip…

Actually, I have been able to snorkel at Punta Mal Tiempo on most of my trips. You certainly need to be aware that there is current…sometimes quite strong…on my last trip it was difficult to return to the spot we had entered the water. No worries. It was easy to get back to shore, just that the current was tending to push us north along the shore. And it was quite rough near the reef…waves breaking over it. But still not so bad you couldn’t snorkel. I would not have tried going over the reef in those conditions, however. I contented myself with checking out the coral heads and rocks on the shore side. :smiley: