Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Snorkelling with a Moustache

On our upcoming vacation I’d really like it if my father could try snorkelling. I really think he’d LOVE IT, however he’s got a fairly full moustache.

I’ve heard that this becomes tricky when trying to fit a mask to one’s face.

Does anyone have information regarding how this issue is dealt with on excursions? Or is it next-to-impossible and a waste of money to do such an excursion?

I’ve snorkelled many times without any problems.

CHEERS!

How full is your stache though?

I’ve read that some people smooth theirs down with Vaseline before trying to fit the mask…

Skip the mask and try goggles and a snorkle, use one of those nose clamps to keep the water out of he needs it.

that’s an idea too…thanks!!

Copius amounts Vaseline or K-Y Jelly
Messy though.

[quote author=hlywud board=general thread=1200870621 post=1200918862]Copius amounts Vaseline or K-Y Jelly
Messy though.[/quote]

are you on the same topic? :wink:

Somewhat on the same subject: What do people do when they were glasses and cannot see very well without them??

It’s possible to get glasses that have springs instead of arms. The springs fit inside the mask.
Ward

[quote author=auburnskye board=general thread=1200870621 post=1200870621]On our upcoming vacation I’d really like it if my father could try snorkelling. I really think he’d LOVE IT, however he’s got a fairly full moustache.

I’ve heard that this becomes tricky when trying to fit a mask to one’s face.

Does anyone have information regarding how this issue is dealt with on excursions? Or is it next-to-impossible and a waste of money to do such an excursion?[/quote]

Shouldn’t be a problem, I had a fairly full sweeper too until a few years ago.
Remember that you pressurize the mask not create a vaccum to keep out the water

Are you brining your own masks? Or renting from the excursion? Different masks will fit in different ways, on different shapes of faces. Your excursion may have just the mask for your father.

My hubby snorkels with a stash and doesnt have any issues, and my friend dives the same way.

I also suggest vaseline, has worked in the past.

Deputy :slight_smile:

There are masks that seal over the nose instead of under. these were better for me when I had a stash… The configuration still made it easy to flush out the water with an exhale through the nose.

;)Hey guys was in Jamaica in September and had that samw problem with my moustach ,and one of the scouba staff sugested sunscreen cream!

1. I bought a prescription mask - best money ever spent
  2. mustache - trim the part right under the nose - then no problems even 12 meters down

I have snorkeled and dove for years with a stash and found that lip balm (chap stick) applied liberaly to the stash did fine and kept the seal to 30 meters or so with no problems.

bobk