Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

So many questions...so little time

First of all, I want to say that I have been lurking on this site for about a year. By far, this is the best resource for advice on trips to Punta Cana on the entire net. Having said that (and having buttered all of you up)…I have a few questions. We leave for the Catalonia on January 18th and most of our questions have been answered in the past by all of you fine folks on the message boards and review boards (there I go buttering you up again…if you suddenly feel slippery, that’s probably why). :wink: However, a few items remain a bit cloudy…so here goes:

1). On which “side” of Catalonia is the non-Royal side? I want to request a building but don’t want to ask for one if it’s on the Royal side, since we’re staying on the non-Royal side. I have heard that buildings 2 or 3 are good, since they’re away from all the hubbub and activity which goes on until the wee hours. Being old geezers (okay, we’re both 55…maybe not ready to be called geezers, but there are some days when we do feel that way) we tend to hit the hay a bit earlier than we used to.

2). We see conflicting reports regarding hair dryers in the rooms. We’ve checked all of the hotel review sites and some say they have them…others don’t mention them. Does anyone know if all the rooms have them? My better half, as beautiful as she is, doesn’t exactly go in for the flat hair look.

3). We continue to be puzzled by the men’s dress code in the restaurants. We’ve pretty much figured out that closed shoes are required (which is fine, since I’m sure nobody is interested in looking at my gnarly toenails). We also see that sleeved shirts are required (as opposed to tank tops). But what about collars? Are they required? Or will a T-shirt suffice? I don’t want to have to pack a slew of polo shirts if I don’t need them.

4). Finally (aren’t you glad I’m almost at the end??)…we will need to arrange transportation to and from the airport. Based on what we have read on this board, we have pretty much decided that our nest option is to use ibkservicios. Mike, if you’re reading this (and considering the length of this post, probably not)…expect an e-mail shortly to set up travel arrangements.

Okay…that’s about it (at least for now). We’ve never been to the Dominican Republic but are counting the hours…of which there are now 307 left until we get on the plane (assuming a blizzard doesn’t have other ideas and keeps us grounded in Chicago). I have my fingers crossed that doesn’t happen (and if you’ve ever tried typing with crossed fingers, it’s quite difficult) ;D

hi D.,
i hope that been light-butter,
i hate the greasy stuff, just to stay on my model-line, woooaahaha
i copied your Q’s below and write the answers behind each to not to forget some.
welcome to Debbies,
you hit the best travel source on the net.
have a pleasant stay
Mike

[quote=@gbpakrfan]First of all, I want to say that I have been lurking on this site for about a year. By far, this is the best resource for advice on trips to Punta Cana on the entire net. Having said that (and having buttered all of you up)…I have a few questions. We leave for the Catalonia on January 18th and most of our questions have been answered in the past by all of you fine folks on the message boards and review boards (there I go buttering you up again…if you suddenly feel slippery, that’s probably why). :wink: However, a few items remain a bit cloudy…so here goes:

1). On which “side” of Catalonia is the non-Royal side? I want to request a building but don’t want to ask for one if it’s on the Royal side, since we’re staying on the non-Royal side. I have heard that buildings 2 or 3 are good, since they’re away from all the hubbub and activity which goes on until the wee hours. Being old geezers (okay, we’re both 55…maybe not ready to be called geezers, but there are some days when we do feel that way) we tend to hit the hay a bit earlier than we used to.
***that should not be a problem, because the buildings on the Royal side will only be given to Royal clients
2). We see conflicting reports regarding hair dryers in the rooms. We’ve checked all of the hotel review sites and some say they have them…others don’t mention them. Does anyone know if all the rooms have them? My better half, as beautiful as she is, doesn’t exactly go in for the flat hair look.
***all rooms have their hairdryer
3). We continue to be puzzled by the men’s dress code in the restaurants. We’ve pretty much figured out that closed shoes are required (which is fine, since I’m sure nobody is interested in looking at my gnarly toenails). We also see that sleeved shirts are required (as opposed to tank tops). But what about collars? Are they required? Or will a T-shirt suffice? I don’t want to have to pack a slew of polo shirts if I don’t need them.
***have to pass that one, i don’t know. Where is WUD when Needed???
4). Finally (aren’t you glad I’m almost at the end??)…we will need to arrange transportation to and from the airport. Based on what we have read on this board, we have pretty much decided that our nest option is to use ibkservicios. Mike, if you’re reading this (and considering the length of this post, probably not)…expect an e-mail shortly to set up travel arrangements.
***to arrange a transfer please contact Bronly from IBK Servicios Turisticos directly on info@ibkservicios.com

Okay…that’s about it (at least for now). We’ve never been to the Dominican Republic but are counting the hours…of which there are now 307 left until we get on the plane (assuming a blizzard doesn’t have other ideas and keeps us grounded in Chicago). I have my fingers crossed that doesn’t happen (and if you’ve ever tried typing with crossed fingers, it’s quite difficult) ;D
[/quote]
i don’t think it’s named a Blizzard,
but everything in front of my door and ahead of the terrasse is WHITE. we have actually beautiful sunshine, no winds, ocean is perfectly calm, much below a usual january average, no clouds nearby, just pure sunshine.
pack that luggage and come over
Mike

Quoted

1). On which “side” of Catalonia is the non-Royal side? I want to request a building but don’t want to ask for one if it’s on the Royal side, since we’re staying on the non-Royal side. I have heard that buildings 2 or 3 are good, since they’re away from all the hubbub and activity which goes on until the wee hours. Being old geezers (okay, we’re both 55…maybe not ready to be called geezers, but there are some days when we do feel that way) we tend to hit the hay a bit earlier than we used to. [color=Red]2 and 3 are good they are on the north side of resort a bit of coral directly off this end of beach, stay south of the beach bar so you do not cut feet, it is sharp
Map here http://www.worldisround.com/articles/304320/photo197.html

2). We see conflicting reports regarding hair dryers in the rooms. We’ve checked all of the hotel review sites and some say they have them…others don’t mention them. Does anyone know if all the rooms have them? My better half, as beautiful as she is, doesn’t exactly go in for the flat hair look. Hairdryers were there in October
3). We continue to be puzzled by the men’s dress code in the restaurants. We’ve pretty much figured out that closed shoes are required (which is fine, since I’m sure nobody is interested in looking at my gnarly toenails). We also see that sleeved shirts are required (as opposed to tank tops). But what about collars? Are they required? Or will a T-shirt suffice? I don’t want to have to pack a slew of polo shirts if I don’t need themGolf shirts OK
4). Finally (aren’t you glad I’m almost at the end??)…we will need to arrange transportation to and from the airport. Based on what we have read on this board, we have pretty much decided that our nest option is to use ibkservicios. Mike, if you’re reading this (and considering the length of this post, probably not)…expect an e-mail shortly to set up travel arrangements. Bronly info@ibkservicios.com
[/color]

You can get away with a nice t-shirt as well, but a golf/polo shirt looks a lot nicer. ;D

Thanks to all who responded. As for the building location, we would prefer to be away from any construction, if at all possible. So any buildings you could recommend away from construction (and nighttime noise) would be appreciated. It looks like buildings 2 or 3 would be away from the nighttime activity noise, but don’t know about the construction.