Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Some flying tips

I was doing some research about equalizing pressure on board while flying, especially for my grandkids who are traveling with me.

I found this interesting article, so I cut and pasted it.

Tips for dealing with Jet Lag:

Exercise while airborne and upon arrival will help circulate your blood you will feel rejuvenated.
Adjust your sleep time before you leave on your trip to match your destination time zone.
Don’t stay on your home time zone. Change your watch to your destination time zone.
Meals high in protein stimulate wakefulness. Carbohydrate rich meals promote sleep.
Use caffeine drinks to help you stay awake until your new bedtime at your destination.
Eat high-fiber foods to fight constipation and avoid fatty foods.
Drink LOTS of water.

Ear Pain

During airplane flights the ears are subjected to changes in air pressure. The middle ear is connected with the upper part of the throat by the Eustachian tube. Its job is to equalize air pressure in the middle ear.

People often have more problems during landing. If the Eustachian tube is blocked from cold or allergies the eardrum will be stretched inward, impairing hearing and causing pain during descent. If you can’t clear your ears on the ground, you should not fly. But if you have to fly, or find yourself with ear pain once airborne, there are some things you can do.

Tips for dealing with Ear Pain:

Try yawning or swallowing to open the Eustachian tube.
Try chewing gum.
With a doctor’s approval, adults can take a decongestant and/or nasal spray.
You might try earplug-like devices called Ear-planes, which help regulate air pressure naturally.
Try the Valsalva maneuver: Hold your nose and blow out gently to equalize the pressure.
Young children’s Eustachian tubes don’t function as good as in adults. Use a pacifier or bottle for babies during takeoffs and landings. Older children won’t suffer quite as much as long as they don’t have a cold.

Motion Sickness

Most airline passengers rarely experience motion sickness. Motion sickness can occur when you lose visual contact with the earth’s horizon and you are subjected to motion such as turbulence or the plane turning. This can cause the inner ear to send conflicting information to the brain. Anxiety can also exaggerate the symptoms of motion sickness. This online resource can help ease your anxiety.

Tips for dealing with Motion Sickness:

Try sitting near the plane’s wings. This will reduce the motion felt.
Try over the counter medications such as Dramamine or Bonine for short trips.
Try Ginger (capsule form) and peppermint (mint-flavored candies).
Eat lightly before and during your flight.
Sit at a window seat.
Don’t read.
Open your air vent.

Other Airline Travel Health Advice

Try not to fly within twelve hours after dental work because the change in cabin pressure can be painful.
Avoid eating empty calories. They can cause a swing in your blood sugar, which will affect how you feel.
Avoid drinking much alcohol. It doesn’t take much at altitude to get drunk.

Carry a summary of your health info. Include items such as: blood type, pre-existing health conditions, allergies, etc.

Some researchers claim that bismuth subsahcylate (Pepto-Bismol) can help prevent “Montezuma’s Revenge” (Diarrhea caused by drinking contaminated water).

This information is not intended to and does not in any way substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider regarding any condition or health questions you may have.

I do not know about some people but when I fly I cannot sleep because shutting my eyes when moving makes me sick to my stomach…I have to keep my eyes open.

I always take a gravol before taking off…just in case.

You should check with someone however if you are goingt to take a decongestant and somet hing like gravol at the same time…I am not sure if the two would be good together…

Like it says always check with your doc.

When I went to Australia many, many years ago, the flight attentents handed out hard candies for the decent

Luckily I’ve never had any ‘ailments’ of any sort while flying (except not being able to sleep much), but my Uncle seems to get major ear aches most times he flies, and one time in particular it was absolutely unbearable. The flight attendent took two hot tea bags and placed them in paper cups then placed the paper cups over his ears for a few moments (watch out because it is very hot) - the steam helped ease his pain. I don’t know if there is medical evidence behind it, and I repeat: it is HOT! But, It worked for him. But, I agree with checking with your own doctor first - everyone is different!
Leanne

I was told be a friend what REALLY works to help prevent ear pain is if you take an Allergy medication for congestion about 8 hours prior to the flight. I forgot to take mine on the way down and I was in such pain when landing and couldn’t hear to well wail in flight. But on the way back I took them and had NO problems! I could hear better and had NO pain. IT DOES WORK!

I will never fly again with out them!

spelling doses should be does ;D

OOPS ::slight_smile: THANX FOR THE FIX! ;D

2 tranqulilzers when boarding and I’m good to go! :slight_smile:

Don’t drink to much booze before or when you are on the plane. Nobody likes a drunk on board for a trip that could last for hours.

Great info, thanks.

For the past few years I have been using Alpine gum. It is a gum that you can chew when you have a sore throat. I put one in my mouth as soon as I start to feel the pressure on descent. By the time the coating is melted off the gum, my sinuses are clear as a bell and there is no more pressure in my ears. Works for Me. :smiley:

I always make sure i have a anti-nauseant b4 i get on…hepls with the air sickness…and for ear pains chewing gum has always helped for me…thanks for the article posting…very helpful to everyone

Thanks for the tips. I’ve never had too much trouble flying besides not being able to sleep either (even with gravol which knocks me out at home).

I’ve told my kids ahead of time that they’re going to have to take medicine before getting on the plane (gravol) and that chewing gum is necessary during take off and decent. They’re excited that they get to chew gum to their hearts content (usually regulated a little more at home).

However, DH and I usually have more problems adjusting to the food and difference once we arrive. Our first 2 nights are usually spent in our room. I found that taking a gravol before bed on the first night helps me catch up on sleep, adjust and helps my tummy.
It really is the oil that they cook with that does it so we pack lots of tums, pepto and immodium (my husband just never learns to NOT eat an entire pizza at the beach cafe).

Thanks for sharing.