Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

SOS?Murky Water at Bahia La Romana

???
I am hoping someone will be able to clarify the murky ocean water at the Gran Bahia Principe La Romana. Are going in 5 days and an very concerned.

Any info on this, building recommendation, trip recommendation or the Bahia is general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Lyn

I really enjoyed my short visit at this hotel in 2008. Click on the picture to see my album if you’re interested:

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2993040340064234328VFOVIp][/URL]

The water isn’t as clear as at my favourite hotels, but since you’re booked and committed to this property, I’d suggest that you turn your attention to the really fabulous things about the hotel.

The GBPLR is gorgeous, food is great (sparkling wine served with dinner!), the rooms are all junior suite style with spa style bathrooms, the beach is private and expansive, the grounds are mature and well-maintained, the room blocks are only 2 stories high, there are few bad views from the rooms, and the bay has a private island you can paddle to for a bit of a change. The disco and Plaza Principe offer entertainment by night after the show and the many different lobby areas are welcoming and make it feel like you’re sitting in somebody’s living room for lounging and visiting or games room when sitting at the square tables for games. Take a look at the site map in my album and see if you can get a room in one of the outward facing rooms if not the pool view or ocean view. Try not to be concerned! Whatever reason you booked this hotel is still there, be it a great deal on a Caribbean vacation or the luxe amenities. Go in with your knowledge about the water and you may be surprised that it’s not as bad as people say. The hotel staff, particularly the entertainment team, will do what they can to ensure your wonderful holiday.

For local outings I’d look at the Caves almost right outside the hotel gates and I’d take a trip to La Romana or San Pedro de Macoris which are both really close by to get a bit of Dominican life. You can also go on water tours with the on-site dive shop which couldn’t be easier.

Make sure you get out to the little island!

Kaki