Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Spanish Priest murdered in Cuba

What a horrific tragedy:

Something to keep in mind after reading that link…

Cuba has no lack of violent crime, but fortunately for tourists it’s (so far) almost all Cuban-on-Cuban.

Violent crime (homicide, rape, car jacking, etc.) against foreign tourists is still very rare and when it does happen there are (almost) always extenuating circumstances. In other words, the foreign tourist (or long term visitor) is usually involved in something they shouldn’t be. (Drugs, under age prostitution, and other illegal and/or stupid practices.)

As for “normal” crime like mugging, snatch and grabs, pickpocketing, theft, etc. that stuff is now fairly common against tourist in certain areas, and has been for quite some time.

This particular horrific situation concerning this priest has nothing whatsoever to do with a tourist’s safety in Cuba though. This tragedy has to be treated as a Cuban-on-Cuban crime. The priest was living/working as a local. He can in no way/shape/form be considered a foreign tourist.

=============================================

Cuba has a superb (almost perfect) record of solving homicides, especially ones committed against foreigners. I hope the truth comes out in this case at some point…

Doesn’t exactly say he was murdered, just that it is being investigated. Something I’m missing?

With both the Cuban authorities and the Havana Conference of Bishops refusing to comment I assumed there was obviously foul play involved, thus my use of “murdered” instead of “found dead” in the subject title.

Since I made the original post the Spanish news agencies are now reporting he was stabbed to death and his car set on fire…

It made the news, which leads you to believe there are extenuating circumstances.
Sad all the same.

[quote=@martian]

Since I made the original post the Spanish news agencies are now reporting he was stabbed to death and his car set on fire…[/quote]

Wow… that clears it up. Sounds nasty.

Miami Herald has more information:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/americas/cuba/story/907272.html