Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

SteveYYZ

Haven’t seen SteveYYZ on Cuba forums recently, just wondering if he is still traveling to Cuba. Steve used to post on this and other boards some of the better photos of Cuba that I’ve seen.

[img src=“http://photopilot.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/the-life.jpg” alt=" "]

He was around for a while. Posted some great photos. Hasn’t been back for a few months. Thanks flygt, Good Shot!

Steve showed up again at Canuks invitation when the new owners took over Debbie’s but packed up his marbles, left the sandbox and closed his account shortly thereafter. He does still have his second Debbie’s account activated and no doubt he is lurking.

I understood from his few posts that he was no longer interested in Cuba after he did a scooter trip in Egypt last year.

Not everyone misses him! From some of the photos posted recently by other members, I’d say we have a lot of equally talented photographers and members very knowledgeable about Havana here at Debbie’s.

YVRck… just so clarity is there for all. Steve YYZ had valid reasons not to continue posting and while some may not hold the same view he did want to be back and share, but he did not feel comfortable in the environment in the beginning to continue.

I don’t know what happened here but I’ve enjoyed Steve’s opinions, experiences and photos over many years on CubaMania, the Green Screen and others.

In case you’re lurking;
Hola Steve!
from Pescador

We do have excellent Members/photographers who love to share here on Debbie’s.
Steve has some great photos.

The new owner felt strongly that Debbie’s forum should be inclusive to all members who followed the rules even if they were previously banned like CubaKing for example. Not everyone could accept or agree with that policy.

Before deleting his account, I think Steve made his intentions/thoughts/feelings very clear when he posted this on Feb. 10 . 

[i]"But it really doesn’t matter. I’ve moved onwards. Haven’t been to Cuba in almost 5 years now and while there are some aspects I miss, after about 30 trips I’m Cuba’d out. There’s an old saying… Never give a Cuban a 2nd chance to disappoint you. There’s a big world out there with some amazing places. Time to see more of it.

Just returned from an amazing 16 days in Egypt, travelling 2400 km across the country/desert on a motor scooter with 45 other adventurers.

You’all have fun now with your how much to tip… towel wars… should I leave toothpaste… blah, blah, blah, blah…

adios.
Steve_YYZ[/i]

Steve is a amazing man/photogqapher. Without his help along with Mardi and a few others, you know who you are, Mrs B and I likely would have never gone to Cuba. Their/his knowledge was a huge help in our trip. As was said " Steve if your out there, thanks amigo." I hope the world treats you good. Keep traveling. :slight_smile:

Cheers 8-|

Steve was an amazingly helpful person to me - he has done kindnesses that would take pages to describe. I am glad to hear he is following his bliss.

Steve handled a police bribe once and I never repaid him my share. So long as he never returns to Cuba I can likely continue to screw him over on that debt, haha…

Cheers,
Terry

Steve posted some great photos here on the forum before he decided to close his account.

I miss his contributions on this and other forums. Great photos and his walking tour of Havana.

I hadn’t realised that Steve had closed his account. I really do miss his contributions…

There are usually " a few " long time members that slag the worthwhile contributors while contributing very little of value themselves .It is the same on all the forums , miss Steve and many others over yonder and here .
Lenny

We used Steve’s walking tour of Havana on our recent/first trip to Havana. The info from his 7 days in paradise site was really helpful. I recall seeing some of his photos on this site a few years ago, nice shots for sure.

Hello @hfxjohn welcome to Debbies travel forum. Yes he posted here some awesome photos from Cuba as well. Glad to see you here on the forum as well and thanks for joining.

Personally and speaking as one of the “few” long time members, I find that all members contribute what they can and where they can. It’s all worthwhile! Not everyone is exclusively interested in independent travel or all-inclusive resorts, so some information posted is of more value to some than it is to others. Not everyone is addicted to Cuba or Cuba forums.

The best “value” to any forum are contributions that are current because a member has recently returned or is someone who travels to Cuba often. If a member decides to no longer participate (unless they have been banned), that’s their personal choice and I have come to respect that. I really miss some of the long time members now gone, but not all of them. Some were just plain rude and disrespectful!

In all honesty, those who participate regularly already know where to find some of the old “hidden gems”- a lot of them already bookmarked years ago any ways- so the information lives on even if the individual isn’t posting. I’m thinking specifically of the Havana pub crawl and walking tours originally put together by WildBill at Thorntree if my memory is correct. They’ve been cut, pasted and re-posted by many others over the years even if credit wasn’t always given to the original guy.

[quote=@yvrck][quote=@bicycleman]There are usually " a few " long time members that slag the worthwhile contributors while contributing very little of value themselves . [/quote]Personally and speaking as one of the “few” long time members, I find that all members contribute what they can and where they can. It’s all worthwhile! Not everyone is exclusively interested in independent travel or all-inclusive resorts, so some information posted is of more value to some than it is to others. Not everyone is addicted to Cuba or Cuba forums.

[/quote]

I agree. If we did not have a variety of opinions, people would soon tire of reading and participating in the forums.

Sometimes, a lot of nonsense is posted - I have posted plenty of nonsense myself. But even that might sometimes have entertainment value. One of the saddest things I see on any forum is the tendency that some have to feel their opinion is the only one that matters. And I have been guilty of that too.

I think I have learned a lot about Cuba, and about human nature from reading the various forums over the years. It’s similar to what Jimmy Buffett said in one of his songs:

“Read lots of books about heroes and crooks, and I learned much from both of their styles.”